Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 08-28-2014, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Anael View Post
Toverly, with odd shapes I always print one extra and use that as templates. That way you don't have so much waste.
That would eliminate the excess. I was going by the book which has sizes to cut each piece. Luckily I have a friend who is saving scraps for dog beds so I was able to use the clippings for something.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by qltgrose View Post
Ladies your blocks are wonderful. I am curious Toverly and Mirabelle, how much background fabric did you start with? What size are your blocks? The reason I am asking is I am right now considering buying some background for my start on these and its a light batik background. These are not only hard to find to begin with but will be impossible later! I was going to get 2 yards. I plan on making my blocks between 10 1/2 and 12 1/2.
qltgrose I had 5 yards of the background fabric and my blocks are 10 1/2 inches. I am not a fabric hacker and cut strips 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 inches for my background triangles and then smaller strips if needed. I have had no waste and was really surprised at how much it used. I would go with Anael's suggestion of 7 to 8 yards.

Hope this has helped you.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:04 AM

Just a quick and sincere thank you to those who sent me ideas, patterns, and suggestions for a Mariner's Compass block for the center of my quilt when I asked for help a while back. One of the patterns sent was instructions on how to draft your own compass which is what I did. I drafted a 12 x 24 compass block for the center and will just use my blocks around them with sashing. I think I'll make a practice block just to see if my drafting works. Now I'm excited to start QAYG and putting this quilt together. Thank you all again!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:24 PM

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by mirabelle View Post
qltgrose I had 5 yards of the background fabric and my blocks are 10 1/2 inches. I am not a fabric hacker and cut strips 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 inches for my background triangles and then smaller strips if needed. I have had no waste and was really surprised at how much it used. I would go with Anael's suggestion of 7 to 8 yards.

Hope this has helped you.
Thanks everyone! I am surprised as well at the amounts you mentioned. Karen, I love your idea of using 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 inch strips. Also like the idea someone mentioned about printing a 2nd sheet and using those as templates to cut from. I think I will buy 4 yards of the batik I am considering and then plan on accumulating other pale ones to make up the rest needed. I like the way the slight variation in them plays with the stars when they are mixed.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:25 AM

Warning, pale batiks are addictive! I have so much more than when I started. I seem to pick them up whenever I go shopping for fabric. I do love the scrappy look of the light batiks, it adds dimension to the quilt.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:31 AM

Here are North Dakota & Ohio. I only have one more to make--yay!![ATTACH=CONFIG]489783[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails north-dakota-ohio.jpg  
Old 08-31-2014, 02:54 PM

Great blocks from last week and this week too (Jan).

I have more done, but not the "right" weeks to share....not sure when I will get back to sewing them again. It might not be until my retreat in October. I have couple other quilts I need to finish in September. Not much sewing time with working three days a week now and homeschooling my kids.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:23 PM

Ok, of the ladies who have done the 10 1/2 size-- or -gulp smaller...do you think it makes them any more difficult? You can see my profile butterfly block which was 12 1/2 and I about tore my hair out on the small bits in that one. On the other hand, I would like to make this with all 50 blocks so its going to be huge, even if I set them side by side, without sashing. What do you think...if you were starting over today...would you still make the smaller size or go bigger?
Old 08-31-2014, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by carriem View Post
Great blocks from last week and this week too (Jan).

I have more done, but not the "right" weeks to share....not sure when I will get back to sewing them again. It might not be until my retreat in October. I have couple other quilts I need to finish in September. Not much sewing time with working three days a week now and homeschooling my kids.
carriem, please share your finished stars with us. I think of the schedule you started as a goal for everyone to attempt to achieve. That's the reason I keep posting it each month. If you do more than that, why not post them? If you are late posting them, we still want to see them.

Thank you for starting this great thread. There has been some really pretty eye candy on here and so many great color ideas. I am planning to start these blocks in 2015.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:41 PM

qltgrose--I am making 10 1/2 in blocks (will finish at 10") and haven't found any of the pieces too small to work with. I did another pp'd quilt that was 8" and didn't have problems with that either.

Barb--I will get some pictures of my blocks when I get a chance to put them on the display board. I would love to have enough blocks done this year so that in early 2015 I am assembling blocks into quilts, but we shall see how that works out. We will be sure to follow you in your journey and others who decide to join in.