Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 08-19-2014, 03:10 PM

Hi everyone

I'm a bit late this week I have been away from the computer, only 2 1/2 block now to sew and still hunting down my white back ground.
Everyone's blocks are looking great it is going be great to see all the quilts at the end.
Hopefully the way I want to have put them on the angle it will bring it back down to a double/queen, 72"x60" if my messurements are correct..
Here is my North Carolina
[ATTACH=CONFIG]488338[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 33.-north-carolina.jpg  
Old 08-20-2014, 04:57 AM

I love all the stars. The ones with dark backgrounds, the light backgrounds, the mixed ones. I am trying to plan for next year and thought seeing everyone's beautiful blocks would help me decide which way to go. But, although I OOH and AAH at each new block, I am more confused than ever!!! And, it's not like I don't have a stash. I have so much to pull from.

Just wondering....how many different fabrics did you consider that you needed to make these masterpieces?

And, has anyone figured out a setting to use all 50 blocks on the front of the quilt? I have the Carol Doak, Mariners Compass, Vol 1, so can add any size center to make everything go together, but can't seem to get a plan in my mind. Until I can understand where I am going, I can't even make a start. DUH!!! I guess this is why I buy patterns that a "designer" produces. So many questions that have to be answered before I even start this project.

Also, I have EQ7, but don't know how to put together different size blocks to make a quilt. I guess it's time to pull my manual out and start reading the "Designing a Quilt" section.

Thanks for all the "eye candy."

And as I was writing this, a new idea popped into my mind. I am wondering if an embroidered center of the map of the USA would be something that would bring the whole project together. Now, I wonder where I would find that??? Too many questions for this early in the morning!

I hope everyone has a great day, whether they get to do any quilting or not.

Edited to add: Would you mind sharing what size blocks you are making? I have the Carol Doak 50 fab stars and can make them any size.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 08-20-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:12 AM

I planned a variety of red, white and blue for my quilt...twelve inches. Alaska and Hawaii are on the pillow covers, shams. I wanted the back ground to be white like someone made before me...but that makes a very large quilt. Sigh, I will see if and when I finish...good luck with yours, Barb.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 AM

Lyn, I love your blocks and can't wait to see your quilt finished. You've chosen such calming colors.

Barb, I'm doing mine scrappy in batiks so I bought a lot (a LOT!! LOL) of FQs. I bought about 4 yds of off-white background fabric but I've also used some prints & dark fabrics for backgrounds. Not sure about sashing & corner stone colors yet. I made 12" blocks but wish I'd have done 8". My setting plan is to use a 24" compass block in the center and the star blocks in rows around it. Not sure how many star blocks I'll use, won't be all of them because I don't need a large quilt, maybe queen-size. The remaining blocks will become table or bed runners. It's good that you're planning ahead of time. I wish I had. I may have done my blocks in similar colors like some of the others. Lyn's quilt is very calming; mine is going to look like the dog threw up his lunch!! Good luck and be sure to let us see your progress when you get started.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:37 PM

Hi

Thanks JanRN for you comments,
Barb, I am doing 12" blocks and yes it make a very large quilt, I have played in excell spreadsheet with working this quilt out many of ways trying not to do extra block or put some on the back, and to make it work out smaller. If you can see my attchement this is how I have been able to achive doing that. In this there a few ths same they are the ones I still have to complete and put in, the quilt will finish at the brown border. I have now completed 48 blocks and the 2 last one's I am hunting dow the white back ground to complete them, 15"of fabric stopping me from finishing.

Hope this helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
temp quilt.pdf (1.51 MB, 150 views)
Old 08-21-2014, 03:47 AM

Hi Barb, I'm made 12" blocks also. But then I have a king size with 2" sashing between the stars and 49 stars on the front. If you have EQ7 then, it would work out wonderful to make the stars different sizes. Some are quite easy while others are scary the number of pieces in them. I also love Lyn Hut's colorways! The only benefit of making scrappy is that you can add whenever you need too. My stars are not in the order I made them.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:15 AM

toverly....I love the idea of making the stars different sizes. I have been making progress learning EQ and this will just spur me own.

Thanks to everyone for taking your time to share your experiences and info with me. Happy quilting!!!
Old 08-25-2014, 06:10 AM

I was browsing the Stitchin' Heaven website. I love to look at their BOM's. I found "Dancing with the Stars" BOM. The layout and sashing really makes the stars stand out. I thought some of you who were trying to decide on how you were going to finish your quilts might like this layout. I liked it because everything is done in the sashing and it's on point. http://store.stitchinheaven.com/stor...&Item_ID=23029

September & October schedule for blocks. I left the block numbers in there this time. Others who may be just discovering this thread may not understand just how much work and effort you gals have put into this project. I am really looking forward to seeing your beautiful quilts. Thanks for sticking with this project and giving all of us some great eye candy.

35 8/31/2014 Ohio
36 9/7/2014 Oklahoma
37 9/14/2014 Oregon
38 9/21/2014 Pennsylvania
39 9/28/2014 Rhode Island
40 10/5/2014 South Carolina
41 10/12/2014 South Dakota
42 10/19/2014 Tennessee
43 10/26/2014 Texas

As most of you know, I have to finish half (15) of my WIP's (Works in Progress) before I will allow myself to start any new projects. I have 8 of those ready to quilt and a couple of more that will only take a couple of days. I am buckling down and sewing these days because I really want to start this series in January 2015. All of you are such an inspiration to me. Each week I eagerly wait for the new posting of pictures.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:45 AM

Monday again! It's been a busy week. Here is my North Dakota.[ATTACH=CONFIG]488987[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 34-north-dakota.jpg  
Old 08-25-2014, 07:22 AM

Toverly, another winning star...love your colors and piecing. How I wish I had thirty something done. Sigh, one day I will. Right now, I am trying to earn by PhD....finish projects half done....

Barb, Mirabelle from down under has an Ocean Wave going on as slashing between her stars. If its convenient, Barb, I would love a list the the 'assignments' each week of the stars, if you have kept a list. PM me please. Thanks.