Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
20th Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

20th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

20th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 09-21-2018, 02:33 PM

Thanks NZquilter. It started snowing and is supposed to snow all night and tomorrow so I’m going to be happy to sew all day. Can’t wait for the first clue. ��
Old 09-21-2018, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

Janie wonderful fabrics.I love the combo.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:19 PM

Beautiful fabrics, Janie, will be lovely.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:56 PM

I like those fabrics too JanieW!

Okay Judy, I think I have 2 fabrics that might work with my scraps. If this doesn’t do it then I’m going to scrap the scraps & just use yardage. So the first is a light teal tone on tone print & the second is a Moda Grunge. I just can’t choose which one. What I’m worried about is the later 3rd fabric, so I’d like to ask your opinion on what kind of color you think might go with either of these choices? Anyways, here are 2 pictures & if they won’t work (I’m worried some of the scraps won’t stand out enough against the teal since it’s not really light, but it’s the lightest I have right now) there’s a 3rd picture of yardage I’m going to use in greens, whites, & yellows. Do we have to have 2 yds of those because of the green I only have 1 1/2 yards?

What do you think of these if not the scraps?
Old 09-21-2018, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
CraftyJulz Ok, this is my suggestion. Lose the pink for right now, maybe for ever. It will be too jarring with those colors. You need something more restful...

...A third color will be brought in at the end. You might or might not at that point think you are still in love with the pink and may use that, or go with another fabric, scrappy or yardage. Me, I think I would go with something else. Even a darker purple would be better.

hope this helps you, CraftyJulz, and anyone else a bit confused at this point.
I don’t know why I just now saw your suggestion about an even darker purple. I think that’ll work now that I’m seeing it in my head. I may need to go buy something for it though. Oh darn, that means I’ll have to head to the fabric store. Poor me! (Laughs manically) So ignore my question about a 3rd color in yet another post from me just a little bit earlier.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:04 AM

I just found this post, color me happy. I have so been wanting to do a scrappy and this is a great time to start one. I have hundreds of 2 1/2" squares cut, will I be able to use them? Since my stash has grown out of control this past year due to a friend moving and being gifted lots of her fabric and the sale of another quilters enormous stash after her passing-- I hardly have room for myself and machine in my sewing room; however, we will find a way to make it happen. My contribution to the club car is a bottle of Cabernet and an assortment of Biscotti.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

I love the teal first picture. But I don't know what the pattern is,so listen to Judy. Picking your fabric is the hardest part. Because we don't know the pattern. But somehow they always turn out beautiful. I got my neutrals picked out and I'm waiting for today's clue to decide on some scraps. Most of the time more people post their choices and it helps me pick mine. It gives me a better understanding of what we are suppose to pick out. Almost time for clue 2.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:33 AM

Aurora welcome, you found us just in time!

Thanks, Mary.

CraftyJulz. Ok, I think the solid in the middle picture would work with your scraps, it should be light enough. But I would not use the light one at the far right of the scraps. When you see the clue I am getting ready to post, you might not be able to use all of the colors you have laid out. And what are you going to do about the next clue? Will you have enough? How big is the light piece?
And take another look at that darker purple you mentioned. That might be the answer.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:41 AM

Default Are you ready?

Good morning, everyone, and happy Saturday to all. And here we go, let’s sew something!

I am having you make all 96 of the half square triangle blocks now as they take a slightly larger piece than is needed for the next clue. Smaller pieces will be used later. I am also giving you two weeks to make all these HSTs as I will be out of town from the 27th to Oct. 4th. Mix up your colors. Don’t forget you can use the wrong side of your light/neutral fabrics if you want something to look a bit lighter. I do it all the time. As a wise quilter once said, after all, you bought both sides!

The next clue will be posted Oct. 6th. I will have my ipad with me, and will be checking in to see how everyone is getting along, and will be able to respond to any questions posted on the thread.

When doing this week’s clue, you can just mix up the medium to medium darks. You MUST have contrast with your scraps of color and the neutrals. (Save the darkest of the dark-darks for the final week’s clues.). Using accurate ¼” seam allowance, make 96 HSTs that will measure at 3-1/2” after pressing. Trim if needed. Make a sample and if too small you may need to move the needle the tiniest bit to the right. Also check for accuracy in cutting.

I am not going to go into great detail – I’m sure everyone has their favorite method for making HSTs. I also dug into my box of 4-1/2” squares to get a larger variety of colors. And used a few leftover charms. I placed a neutral and a color right sides together, marked a line corner to corner and sewed ¼” away from the line, on either side of the line. I cut on the pencil line and pressed to the dark then trimmed to 3-1/2”. If you do the way the quilt police mandates, cut your squares at 4-1/4”. Or just one of the many rulers available, such as the Easy Angle. If you are using yardage, the Strip Tube Ruler would also be a good choice.

Note: If you are not making this scrappy, use yardage of your medium for this part, along with your light.

Happy sewing! I'll check back in a couple hours to see if there are any questions.
Attached Thumbnails week-2-.jpg   week-2-b.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-29-2018 at 05:30 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-22-2018, 06:47 AM

Omg, I'm so excited!!! Thanks for the clue, Judy! I have tons of random 5" squares that I'll dig through. Here we go!