Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 20th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

RJ
    Quote Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
    RJ that's gonna be so pretty.
    Thank you lawsonmugs----I wish the pictures did the fabric more justice---they are very rich colors with the neutral being a lightly mottled light gold color...I had forgotten how much I loved working with flannels...I am anxiously waiting for the next clue---in the meantime I have 2 quilts to quilt---then bind---and 1 to make for a Christmas present...a friend is coming over to use my longarm for her quilt---needless to say---this weekend will be used to clean my sewing room LOL LOL

RJ i lové your fabrics. That’s going to be so cheerful.

im starting on the four patches. I’m auditioning fabrics for the last clue. Opinions welcome.

Name:  0A56E512-B0FB-461A-A2D2-862743497BA2.jpeg
Views: 330
Size:  1.29 MB

Name:  9AF6F0D1-3A22-49C7-AD51-17CF734EB80D.jpeg
Views: 318
Size:  1.47 MB

I prefer the green fabric because I think it makes everything stand out more.

I like both. I think they both go well with your little blocks. RJ sounds like you will be busy.
    Mary

RJ and JanieW all your blocks are great, love the colors you both have chosen.

Janie, don't sweat the next fabric, when you see how the blocks go together, you will know immediately, and it may even be a different fabric!
    When life gives you scraps, make a colorful happy quilt.

I like the green best too. It will be very striking.

I've cut strips for my 4 patches but keep finding more scraps to incorporate into it; I haven't started to sew them yet as I've just finished making more blocks for 19th mystery and am anxious to put that one together.

Hi Judy, how's the trip going? Hope your relaxing some and having a good time.
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    RJ and JanieW all your blocks are great, love the colors you both have chosen.

Janie, don't sweat the next fabric, when you see how the blocks go together, you will know immediately, and it may even be a different fabric!
    I have a feeling the next clue is going to be a wowza moment!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Can the 4-patches be all scrappy (no solid light fabric) ? Thank you.
    bjsmith57

What method does everyone use for the quickest four patches?
    I found one I hadn't seen before where you cut the fabric 1" bigger square than you need the finished four patch. Put the fabrics together and sew down opposite sides, then cut up the middle and iron open, put back together good side to good side so they are opposite colours and sew opposite sides and cut up the middle and you end up with 4 four patches. Trim to size. Seems pretty quick once you get going.
    What's your quick way to do them?

Watson

RJ
    Very bright and cheery JanieW

I just cut out long neutral strips and sew colored strips on top of it rst. since the colors are from scraps they aren't very long and so I just chain stitch them on top of the neutral . Then sub cut them into the size I need. I make mind a touch bigger so I have wiggle room when I cut them into a square. This is a picture of some of my 4 patches with some of my hst's. I probably have at least 2/3's done. so another day and I should be done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mary

Hi Judy, how's the trip going? Hope your relaxing some and having a good time.
    Hi, Mary. Not gone yet, leaving Thursday for the second little trip. Not a fun trip, this one upcoming and the last one, unpleasant family stuff to deal with. But should all be settled soon. Then I really need to do something fun just for me after this mystery is finished!

Love your blocks, so cheery.
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 10-09-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bjsmith57 View Post
    Can the 4-patches be all scrappy (no solid light fabric) ? Thank you.
    Yes, but make sure there are 2 lights and 2 darker in each 4-patch, and there needs to be contrast between the fabrics. Or it will all meld together and you will totaly lose the pattern of the quilt.

NZ I always hope for that wower moment, and hope this one will at least be close. Just hope I don't get thumbs down or grimaces!

Janie, I like both fabrics- no help, right? But I really do. I think either one would be fine.
    Watson, my method is to just do strips and then cut them and make the 4 patches. I do realize that in this mystery we are supposed to mix up the 4 patches so that's what I will do, although there will be some repeats if I do them the way I described. I need to try your way, thanks!

Blog Entries
    I just cut out long neutral strips and sew colored strips on top of it rst. since the colors are from scraps they aren't very long and so I just chain stitch them on top of the neutral . Then sub cut them into the size I need. I make mind a touch bigger so I have wiggle room when I cut them into a square. This is a picture of some of my 4 patches with some of my hst's. I probably have at least 2/3's done. so another day and I should be done.
    This is a great method, Mary. Your units look terrific. I'm going to try that with my 4-patches. Thanks!

Leslie

dd
    Thx Judy, I will continue with white and scraps. I have been doing scrappy but I will need to buy the dark for the next clue. How much do I need to buy? I'm sure it's already here somewhere but I couldn't find it again.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    thx judy, i will continue with white and scraps. I have been doing scrappy but i will need to buy the dark for the next clue. How much do i need to buy? I'm sure it's already here somewhere but i couldn't find it again.
    if you are doing scrappy, the last clue is also scrappy. Yardage for the nonscrappy gals. But if you have to buy something, I'd wait until you see how it all goes together.

I've been making my 4 patches as leader and enders (Bonnie Hunter style) as I work on another project. And some like lawsonmugs. It will take a long to make them all but at least it is a start. of course another scrap quilt using strings. I had stopped cutting 2 inch strips or squares but still had a drawer full so it is good to have this to use them up in.

Okay, I hope RJ is on to the right track because I did the same thing, I used my sorta light teal for my “neutral” & then the same fabric scraps for both the triangles & four patches. The dark purple will be my only other yardage I’m guessing it’s for the sashing you alluded to Judy. Am I alright or do I need to do my four patches all over with different fabric(s)? Ugh that would be a lot of work again. Do you think there’s enough contrast?

Btw, you weren’t kidding when you said to be careful with sewing a scant quarter inch seem & even maybe moving your needle over. I thought I was done with my four patches & wound up having to sew almost 20 new ones. My machine is new to me so my scant quarter inch was obviously off. I would’ve rather cut the squares bigger & then cut down the four patches after they were done like you do with the HST’s. I got so upset I shut everything off & had to walk away for an hour which is totally unlike me. Oh well. Live & learn. Lol. Please tell me a few of you had to re-sew a few four patches as well to make me feel better ok?

Julz

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    What method does everyone use for the quickest four patches?
    I found one I hadn't seen before where you cut the fabric 1" bigger square than you need the finished four patch. Put the fabrics together and sew down opposite sides, then cut up the middle and iron open, put back together good side to good side so they are opposite colours and sew opposite sides and cut up the middle and you end up with 4 four patches. Trim to size. Seems pretty quick once you get going.
    What's your quick way to do them?

Watson
    Do you have a link to that way of doing 4 patches? I’d like to try it. As my previous post says, I really had a hard time with trying to use exactly 2” wide strips to piece the 4 patches & lost 16 of them due to them not measuring out big enough in the end. I’d say I’m more of a confident beginner since, despite starting to quilt way back in 2005, I’ve had to take breaks of years & I sew really slowly because of my disabilities. I’ve only completed about a dozen quilt tops. It’s nice to report that I’ve sewed more in the last 2 months since I’ve got my “new to me” Bernina, than I have in the last couple of years all together. Anyways, I’m still learning lots of basic techniques so any advice on how to better make these 4 patches, even though I’m done for this project, would be greatly appreciated.

And if anyone could direct me to a place that shows you a formula on how to make flying geese easily I’d appreciate that too. I’m trying to make these blocks for another personal project & don’t like using triangles sewn to triangles to make flying geese because the stretch you get because of the bias cut. I’d rather use rectangles & small squares to the corners that you sew on & then cut off the outer pieces but I’m not sure how to get them to come out the size I need, 4 1/2 wide I believe.

Thanks, Julz

Julz -- search "no waste 4 at a time flying geese". Easiest and quickest way ever. I have a chart I keep on my desktop to refer to. If you use the 4 at a time method for a finished size of 2-1/4 x 4-1/2", the large square is 5-3/4 and the four small squares are 3-1/4. Here's a link to a tutorial: https://www.scrapish.com/no-waste-flying-geese.html

Hey craftyjulz, you’re not alone! I needed to trim down a few of my 4 patches and resew a couple when the seams didn’t nest properly because I was rushing so of course that slowed me down.

I like your colours. I hope that you have enough contrast because redoing them will be a ton of work.

I think this is the method that Watson was referring to.

https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/art...quilt-pattern/

I’m going to use that method next time. Thanks, Watson! I’d never heard of this way until you mentioned it.

CraftyJulz all of your blocks look great. Love the light teal with all your other fabrics. It works because it is all the same for all your blocks.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast