Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 39 of 111 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 89 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars

Connecticut Star

another star block finished...............
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a pretty pink Mona Lisa. Great star!!

My version of Connecticut -- since I am making a lap top, and not using all the blocks, I decided to eliminate any additional corners like Connecticut has. All my blocks will have the same green. And now that I am well into this quilt, I question, once again, my choice of background. I like it well enough with most colors, but anything in the green or green/blue center ... not so much. Sigh. Buyer's remorse. Again!!!
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Fabulous stars, everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
    Ck, your star is beautiful. Here is mine. Not quite as muddled in the middle as my Colorado.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Judy, your star looks great. You may change your mind about the green when all is said and done It is probably because your not feeling so well. Hope you are feeling better today.

As usual all the blocks posted are absolutely beautiful. It is such fun looking to see what fabrics everyone uses, and their ideas. Here's mine this week.
    "Impossible is an opinion, not a fact" Cameron Clapp

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...47687D2C18.png

Katie, your block is beautiful.

I am blown away with the beautiful batik blocks. Was trying to use scraps, but think I may have to go shopping for some of those stunning fabrics. Great job, everyone! Here's mine. Is there a song out there for Connecticutt?

Blog Entries
    Looking at radar, it is on the way from the Texas panhandle.

Blog Entries
    A song you ask?? How about Connecticut's state song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzRhFH5OyHo

Oh, and here's another Connecticut. Name:  Connecticut Red.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  251.9 KB

Yankee Doodle is the state song of Connecticutt? I didn't know. I should have added a blue in my star somewhere!

and I have to learn to spell Connecticut!

Blog Entries
    Paintmejudy, I love your green background color and I agree with Pokerdiva that in the end it will really come together. I am sticking with one background too, but I had thought about two different backgrounds and alternating them, checkerboard style.

MonaLisa, love your Connecticut colors and what neat background fabrics.

Moonwork, great fussy cutting on Colorado. You're setting the bar awfully high.

Ckcowl, definitely starry night. Beautiful.

Janey,

Name:  Connecticut 02-12-12.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  118.6 KB
    vaa laaa! Here's my Connecticut! Same day as I started even

Thanks for the great comments on the other stars too....I've been inspired by all of yours.

If you want to see all my stars, click on the link below
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Whitepine, love your star and alternating backgrounds is such a good idea. Wish I had gotten all these ideas before I started. Sigh. Maybe on the next one. Moonwork looked at all your stars together. What a great quilt that will be.

Okay so pulling up the rear, otherwise known as "Better Late Than Never" I reveal my Arizona block:

Name:  IMG_0531-2.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  97.1 KB

Ladies there are some fabulous blocks going on here. I am drooling over the batiks - really liking the 30s fabric stars, and just enjoying seeing them all come together. Poker D that is such a jazzy focus fabric you are using and it really shines in your latest block. Big thumb up to the star with all that eye-catching red in it. Don't remember whose it was, but it was hot hot hot!!!

I am looking forward to catching up, I have my colors picked for Arkansas and then I am finally going to dive into the "C" States. Yes it is embarrassing, but at least I am having fun!

Great blocks this week ladies!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Blog Entries
    oh my goodness- you know what? i am seriously thinking i need to start at the beginning again with a whole new color palate----i love the red & whites! but then i love the 30's ones- and the batik ones----oh my goodness- i could spend the rest of my life making these stars in the colors all of you have come up with !!! guess i had better just stick with what i'm doing----but then again.....oh my goodness!
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, Madd Minn. Yes it is better and who cares if you are late. CK, don't you dare start over. Your blocks are just great!!!!!!!!

Ladies!!! I have a LOT to catch up on starting hopefully tomorrow but I recieved my CD in the mail Friday for the 50 Stars!!! I'm so excited! I've cleaned house about all day so I can get started on my blocks!! ALL Of yours are so beautiful I doubt they'll be as good as yours but I'm gonna give it a try!! See ya soon!!!
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

Blog Entries
    oh when i said i might start over i didn't mean & scrap what i'm doing---i meant do 2 or 3 of each one in different colors- i would still do mine with my blues/purples & black backgrounds...just thinking while i'm at it i could make a couple others too----
    you never know
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I finished 2 stars this week. I am alternating black and white backgrounds to form a checkerboard.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Mad Mimm;4969285]Okay so pulling up the rear, otherwise known as "Better Late Than Never" I reveal my Arizona block: QUOTE]

Love the orange pop in your block. Great going!!

Tomorrow is the start of our guild spring retreat. Hopefully, I can get caught up and perhaps even ahead on my stars.
    Winter is here with snow and a blowing wind; not a nice day to be outside.
    Last edited by tomilu; 02-13-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Thanks Tomilu, I like the way that orange came out too, they remind me of little candle flames.

I have a general question for you ladies...how do you photograph your blocks (in what kind of light and what settings on your camera?) We are playing with how we photograph mine and I have experimented with Ottlite, natural daylight, flash settings on the camera. Still trying to figure out how to get the best, most true color for a photo. So far, Ottlite is the best. I noticed my hubby keeps cropping my blocks so they look so perfect at the edges - they are not perfect, just FYI!

Judy your blocks are lovely - that last one really has some zip - great choice on colors for that second one!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    oh my goodness- you know what? i am seriously thinking i need to start at the beginning again with a whole new color palate----i love the red & whites! but then i love the 30's ones- and the batik ones----oh my goodness- i could spend the rest of my life making these stars in the colors all of you have come up with !!! guess i had better just stick with what i'm doing----but then again.....oh my goodness!
    I have had those same thoughts. It is so much fun seeing what other people are coming up with.

Blog Entries
    RE: camera settings. I don't have an ott light, natural daylight makes my pale yellows and creams look white, flash seems to distort colors even more. What I have ended up with....on my kitchen floor with the white balance set one notch toward the dark. But I'm still experimenting too and wonder what others are doing.

Page 39 of 111 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 89 ... LastLast