Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 06-05-2011, 08:53 AM

OK, AOTHers, how many are starting TODAY? Why don't you LL drop in just to say "Hi!"?

HI!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
OK, AOTHers, how many are starting TODAY? Why don't you LL drop in just to say "Hi!"?

HI!
Hi Kathy, :-P
And I second that,lol.
Of course I can't work any on mine today as I need to go to work in a couple of hours :thumbdown:
Old 06-05-2011, 08:59 AM

It would be lovely if they all dropped by and said "Hi" to us all.

Hi from Elle
Old 06-05-2011, 10:04 AM

Wanabquilter ....WELCOME :) glad to have yet another joiner ...does this put us over 90, Kathy?? [the official headcounter]
btw - your avatar baby looks so much like my newest grandson, Grant, born this past April12!

Thanks for the thoughts, prayers, and wishes ladies! Steph is doing much better here at home at last...whew! Still little energy - but amongst the living :-D

For those of you still thinking about what fabrics to put together for block 9 [and others] - some of us have really changed our minds more than once [or ten times??] :oops:
:lol:
I looked at the block and sort of tried to use the same colors from my stash then realized the outside heart fabric of Aie's [which I dont particularly like] is how she decided on the colors of fabric for the rest of her block. I used a Kaffe Fasset print for the hearts that had no blue. I had picked an orange batik and blue batik for the leaves and a red flower center for the center. The orange and red worked - but the blue didnt because there was no blue in the heart... [truthfully...glad I didnt sew it down because it looked like crap!]
so back to the drawing board and I decided to replace the blue with a yellow batik. I had yellow in both the Kaffe fabric and the orange [I apologize not having the ability to show you yet - gotta sew on the yellow still] I just wanted to share the fact I saw a pattern in the published quilt blocks - they look scrappy -but there was a method. She chose either a fabric in each block that tied the rest together in that block or was a complementary color to it.

for you newbies....sorry - I know I ramble :oops:
man - if we all said "Hi" to check in, we would cover 4 or 5 pages I'm sure [if we say Hi like I do...we could double our page count ... :shock: YIKES!!]
Old 06-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by candi
ND and Kathy, your quilts are gorgeous.

I have to share something with you all. I was in my sewing room this morning working on tracing and cutting out the pieces for the next four blocks. My husband is sitting there with me and we are chatting about this and that..as I am cutting the pieces, I am laying them out on the background to make sure I am happy with the color arrangement, well, my hubby said that the one was going to be his favorite so far. I then said that I hope I can see improvement in my work on this blocks...I am really only satisfied with one of the four I did so far..and seriously considering redoing the other three if I see that I am improving...well, my husband goes and gets the done blocks and inspects them carefully and tells me that what I see and don't like is the "human factor" in the blocks. He went on to say that these imperfections are what will make the quilt special. How sweet is that!
Your dh is a smart and very sweet man! :thumbup:
Old 06-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
Wanabquilter ....WELCOME :) glad to have yet another joiner ...does this put us over 90, Kathy?? [the official headcounter]
btw - your avatar baby looks so much like my newest grandson, Grant, born this past April12!

Thanks for the thoughts, prayers, and wishes ladies! Steph is doing much better here at home at last...whew! Still little energy - but amongst the living :-D

For those of you still thinking about what fabrics to put together for block 9 [and others] - some of us have really changed our minds more than once [or ten times??] :oops:
:lol:
I looked at the block and sort of tried to use the same colors from my stash then realized the outside heart fabric of Aie's [which I dont particularly like] is how she decided on the colors of fabric for the rest of her block. I used a Kaffe Fasset print for the hearts that had no blue. I had picked an orange batik and blue batik for the leaves and a red flower center for the center. The orange and red worked - but the blue didnt because there was no blue in the heart... [truthfully...glad I didnt sew it down because it looked like crap!]
so back to the drawing board and I decided to replace the blue with a yellow batik. I had yellow in both the Kaffe fabric and the orange [I apologize not having the ability to show you yet - gotta sew on the yellow still] I just wanted to share the fact I saw a pattern in the published quilt blocks - they look scrappy -but there was a method. She chose either a fabric in each block that tied the rest together in that block or was a complementary color to it.

for you newbies....sorry - I know I ramble :oops:
man - if we all said "Hi" to check in, we would cover 4 or 5 pages I'm sure [if we say Hi like I do...we could double our page count ... :shock: YIKES!!]
Hi, lol..and I just love you...you make me smiiiile!
(and if you need to know why - get to know this mousie a little...a little is all it takes, it will be easy to guess!)

To all those present:
Now, here's my plan...can you believe I knew...I KNEW, that we started on the 5th, but for some reason, set my mind that was tomorrow?
Have the headache, but never mind that...you probably guessed I am going to fuse my pieces and hand embroider the swirlies.
I don't know whether to satin stitch them down, and then do the embroidery, or the other way round. I'm afraid one or the other might "run over" the other".
Maybe I'll get lucky and they won't, but I'm going to try to post after just fusing and show the finished block in the next day or two.
Cross your fingers that I can download from my digital camera to pc, when I go to DD's later.
If anybody can advise me about the order i mentioned, I would be so grateful.
Now, to all of you, sitting on pins and needles, afraid to post, or wondering why you joined...see? we have ppl in this group, not only with different levels of skill, but different "life stuff".
I love that Candi's hubby called it "the human factor".
I have plenty of human factor, for a mouse, lol! hugs to all! :thumbup:
Old 06-05-2011, 12:04 PM

Mousie, just wondering if satin stitch would work on this really well. sometimes there are so many pieces on top of one another. Maybe open satin stitch like Kathy did in her Tute.

My pomp pomps are beginning to wilt slightly, I need to be cheering, now come on, go for it........
Old 06-05-2011, 12:08 PM

I came across a totally different way to applique in the current issue of American Patchwork & Quilting - just arrived at my house last week and should be available to peek through at Joannes and all LQS [Aug 2011]. On pg 50 is Becky Goldsmith's version of a folksy quilt using a contrasting hand stitch on the folded under edge of applique pieces. It is a 'needle-turn' of a different sort. You do turn the piece under, but your stitches are actually meant to show. Becky has some straight line embroidery type stitches at the edges and some alternating long and short stitches from the edge towards center of applique pieces. It actually looks quite cool! you can see a picture of the finished piece at allpeoplequilt:

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/magazi...-2011_ss7.html

doesnt unfortunately show a close up ... but I did consider doing this - it may be fun to try some of the AOTH blocks this way ;)

btw - Kathy or Lesley or ??? what type of threads are you using for scroll embroidery??
Old 06-05-2011, 12:21 PM

In answer to your question, I am using silk thread two strands and its working well, nice and smooth to use
Old 06-05-2011, 12:55 PM

I'm saying a very quick "hi" but will be with the newbies in spirit only as I have to go to work. :cry:

I will probably be off to a slow start as I am in the middle of organising a baby shower (yeah! :P ) and finishing up a few things. I don't seem to be very organised just now with two new babies on the way this year. Seem to be spending lots of time doing the same baby shopping with two mums-to-be at different times.

But - I am getting there - slowly but surely. My book is being thumbed and my fabric stroked. :thumbup: