Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Another MYSTERY QUILT Train Ride - our 5th trip!

Blog Entries
    beautiful Gramquilter 2

wow everyones fabric is different and all are great !!!!!!!

I just read about the train ride Friday night and although it sounded like a fun trip I've never done a mystery quilt. I've never been able to mesh my obsessive need to plan with the idea of spending time and using fabric without knowing the end result. But a table runner...I think I could do this and not know what's coming!

So, I grabbed some stash fabric, added one more during my trip to my local quilt store today, and ran to catch up to the train. Hope there's still room on board. Looking forward to the trip!

Here are my fabric choices and the completed next step.

Name:  Post IMG_7086.JPG
Views: 347
Size:  194.2 KB

Name:  Post IMG_7087.JPG
Views: 357
Size:  225.6 KB

Oh man - I missed the train!!

Can I jump on board ? Tell me where the clues are please.

Quote Originally Posted by labeelady View Post
    I have an easier way to make those pesky 1/2 square triangles. I use the tube method. I cut a 3" strip of each fabric, put them right sides together, then sewed down each long side using a 1/4" seam allowance. Then I took my companion ruler, which has a 90 deg angle, and put the point of that angle on one of the seam lines, making sure the other seam is straight with the markings, then cut on each side of the 90 deg angle. When I took the "point" apart, and pressed open, I had a 1/2 sq triangle piece that I trimmed to 3-1/2". Some didn't need much trimming, though.
    to make the 2nd and succeeding triangles, you flip the ruler over and put it even with the cut edge. then cut another one, etc etc.

I'm still working on the B & C triangular pieces.
    This sounds so easy- but I'm not picturing it. Guess I will have to go sew and try it.

Post #1 is the general instructions. post #376 is the first cutting and sewing clue KarenR. Perfect Gramquilter2. Just the right order. And all are looking good if I may say so. These are all diff fabrics as usual, so no two will be alike. Retta from warm FL

I have not trimmed to the 3 1/2 yet, figured that would give me something to do latter in the week. Not sure of my colors. I think I should have changed B and C. If I don't like it when it's finished I can all ways give it to some one that does. I like the hint of not cutting the little pieces apart when they were chained. I think I would lose them if I did. Well its a mystery!
    .Name:  DSCI2950email.JPG
Views: 324
Size:  34.9 KB

By the way there is still some cheese cake and coffee in the club car! I put sour cherries on mine. Yum!

Blog Entries
    Leslie333....great fabric, my all time favorite candy

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries

update

Step 2 done. Now the wait.

I really goofed yesterday

Well, I don't know how to apologize enough. I have really truly messed up royally. Yes, as it was called out a few postings ago by cat-mac, I did give you wrong instructions yesterday. I had used A and C for the little triangle pieces, and then yesterday I said B and C? I'm an idiot. Any possibility you have extra fabric, enough to cut the 3 blocks of the A and C fabric again? But if not and you have your pieces cut and done, I think you can go ahead and use what you have made. We will have to made some adjustments. The little pieces needed to be made from A nd C in order for the pattern to show as I designed it, but I think we can make it work. Or if you have enough fabric, you can remake the little triangles. I guess I should have stayed off the train for this ride, I am not functioning well, am I? And I always prided my instructions being spot on. Soooooo sorry, everyone.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Blog Entries
    Thank you for posting this before we get too far into the runner. Little blocks A/C. Got it! You are not an idiot - just a stressed quilter. We appreciate your dedication and love your patterns. BTW, my scrappy is finished and everyone that sees it wants it.

thanks, Irish, but I still feel like an idiot!
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Stuff happens; we'll make it work. Just to be clear before I go make the little triangles again. You are saying it should be A and C, but based on your fabrics and the example picture, you use A and D. Is it really A and C, or A and D?

Also, just a thought Judy...might want to go fix post #376 to be the correct directions for anyone who hasn't done it yet.
    Last edited by Leslie333; 03-17-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Blog Entries

have plenty of fabric

i will redo no problem thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

esther

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    Get out your rotary cutter, and away we go!

First, you will make some half square triangles that will finish at 3½” square. If you are like me and never seem to get them to come out at the perfect size, try this trick - cut your squares a bit larger; sew, press and then trim to size. If you are always spot on, you can do these the “correct” way (“correct” according to the quilt police) and cut your squares at 3-7/8”. P.S. No quilt police allowed here, so don’t worry about how you make your half square triangles. There are lots of methods out there for you to choose from.

From A and B cut a WOF of each, I cut them at a bit generous 4-1/8” wide. From these strips cut 3 of A and 3 of B at the 4-1/8” mark, ending up with 3 each of A and B at 4-1/8” square. Set the leftover strips aside for later. Or cut at 3-7/8” if you are doing them the so-called “correct” way. Place right sides together, mark a diagonal from corner to corner, sew ¼” away from each side of the line, cut along the drawn line, press. Trim as needed to 3-½” square. There will be 12 of these half square triangle blocks.

If you need instructions on marking and sewing, see the simple diagram below. More detailed instructions can be found on the internet.

From B and C cut three squares of each fabric measuring 3” square. Again, I am having you cut the fabric a bit larger, and it will be trimmed at the end. Cut each piece from corner to corner, to make 4 pieces of each fabric. Using the picture as a guide, sew two short sides of B and C together, making 12 triangular pieces. Start stitching from the long straight edge, sewing toward the point. Always keep the B and C fabrics in the same position so the triangles are identical.
    Judy, did you switch your A & B fabrics from your first posting? I thought your A was the poinsettia fabric & B was the rose . But on this posting it looks like you changed your A to B. Or am I seeing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by m-fay View Post
    Looking good!

Well, I don't know how to apologize enough. I have really truly messed up royally. Yes, as it was called out a few postings ago by cat-mac, I did give you wrong instructions yesterday. I had used A and C for the little triangle pieces, and then yesterday I said B and C? I'm an idiot. Any possibility you have extra fabric, enough to cut the 3 blocks of the A and C fabric again? But if not and you have your pieces cut and done, I think you can go ahead and use what you have made. We will have to made some adjustments. The little pieces needed to be made from A nd C in order for the pattern to show as I designed it, but I think we can make it work. Or if you have enough fabric, you can remake the little triangles. I guess I should have stayed off the train for this ride, I am not functioning well, am I? And I always prided my instructions being spot on. Soooooo sorry, everyone.
    Just read this...Judy, don't sweat the small stuff...I'm sure we all understand. You had alot going on! Good thing I haven't started sewing yet...I will just recut the A squares for all 5 runners...no problem. I have enough fabric. Take some deep breaths...you'll be ok. Now...go get some chocolate!

Blog Entries
    took 10 min to fix all is ok
    Attached Images Attached Images

esther

That yellow is really cute!

Blog Entries
    That's ok, Judy. Knowing what you've been through with your new computer, you're forgiven. And I do have plenty that fabric, so will just have fun cutting more! Now what do we do with the pieces that were cut from the wrong colors?
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

A and C for the little tri...... Visually I knew the pieces were different and questioned it also.Glad I waited to cut....No problem,Judi.........
    Mary

haylillan Thanks so much for posting your identifed fabrics, I can surely follow your pictured direction. Glad I delayed in cutting my fabrics and now I'm aboard also and will also post my fabrics as I haven't yet done that. Thanks again, Judy for putting this together.....my very first train ride.

absolutely no problem. I can just switch my fabrics around LOL Just have to take the stickers and move them. Don't even need to cut and sew more itty bittys. Judy, with what you went through with the old/new computers, good grief lady don't beat up yourself. Three little squares of fabric??? no biggie. HUgssss now and take a deep breath and know we DO understand. Retta from even warmer Florida. Course that means rain again.

Well mercy's sakes, guess I'm not awake either. A/C A/C ok, still no biggie. LOL coffee, I need more coffee hehehheeeeee Still hugssss tho.

You know , Judy, there are always silver linings to every cloud! I did my half-squares, which turned out fine, but was not really happy with the small tris, and considered redoing them anyway. So no problem, plenty of fabric and plenty of time and nets time I'll be more accurate! Thanks for doing all this for us!

Blog Entries
    No problem Judy ... Maybe we'll see some interesting variations on your design! It's not a mistake, it's a design choice?
    Cathy

Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 29 ... LastLast