BOM 2011

Old 10-08-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by marymc
I am really starting to like the "journal" idea. I am planning to make a quilt for my son's wedding in summer 2012; I could do each month for them using important dates in their lives. I could have is fiance pick out colors and use them throughout the months! I could work all through 2011 making blocks and still have several months in 2012 for quilting and finishing.
What a great idea of doing a "journal"!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:49 AM

You know this could be a really neat idea for me. Regardless of if we do it as a group I may make an annual "Life's moments quilt". I think it would be really cool to have them...just think of how neat it would be for future generations to have. :D
Old 10-08-2010, 09:53 AM

I am really starting to like the "journal" idea. I am planning to make a quilt for my son's wedding in summer 2012; I could do each month for them using important dates in their lives. I could have is fiance pick out colors and use them throughout the months! I could work all through 2011 making blocks and still have several months in 2012 for quilting and finishing.
I LOVE that idea!! Do you mind if I copy it?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanine
I LOVE that idea!! Do you mind if I copy it?
You should copy it Jeanine because I am depending on you to help me through it! I'm super excited about this idea.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:46 PM

The journal idea is great for individuals, as a journal is your story. I believe this would be very hard to do as a BOM as everyones story is different. The idea behind a BOM is that everyone makes the same quilt design with their own twist, month by month.

I see nothing wrong with starting a journal quilt as a group project - not a BOM - where you can ask other quilters for suggestions and patterns - ending up with 12 blocks.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:15 PM

I also like the idea of a journal quilt, but I like houses and light houses too. I will probably do this BOM no matter what gets chosen. I just like to sew and quilt.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by pamdux
I also like the idea of a journal quilt, but I like houses and light houses too. I will probably do this BOM no matter what gets chosen. I just like to sew and quilt.
LOL....I agree...They all sound fun :D
Old 10-09-2010, 04:47 AM

I am in regardless of the choice. Laurenberhard,might be right though that the journal is more of a personal thing. I have never done a BOM and I like the idea of seeing the same block made by everyone. As a fairly inexperienced quilter it really helps me with vision. Maybe someone will be willing to do the journal as a seperate project.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:57 PM

I am in regardless of the choice. Laurenberhard,might be right though that the journal is more of a personal thing. I have never done a BOM and I like the idea of seeing the same block made by everyone. As a fairly inexperienced quilter it really helps me with vision. Maybe someone will be willing to do the journal as a seperate project.
Good idea. Those who want to start "journaling" through their quilts could do like a monthly "show and tell" through a different thread. :D
Old 10-09-2010, 09:53 PM

That is the idea I am doing for my daughters afghan I am stitching her for Christmas. Oct. is their wedding month and I put in a wedding sampler, January I did a snowman because she always like to make snowmen, etc. It is coming along beautifully.