BOM 2011

Old 08-30-2010, 09:46 AM

I vote for Stars....Dar
Old 09-06-2010, 02:08 AM

Hi would love to join the 2011 BOM. I am enjoying this one so much. some ideas: wild animals of the world; bird houses; lighthouses; fishes; neighbourhood houses including churches.
I like applique and paper piecing the most. have difficulties in points....
But I shall fall in with whatever the other quilters decide...ciao
Old 09-06-2010, 04:50 AM

I've done a quick tally of the votes and Houses has 23 votes, Stars have 22, Sampler has 3, Bible blocks has 1, Log cabin has 1 and other suggestions with no votes as of yet are Candy & ice cream etc, 9 patch variations, aminals, lighthouses, fish and birds.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:46 AM

I'm thinking about doing this--will be a first for me and hopefully build my skills!! How do you "regulars" prepare? See, I don't have scraps really or a stash. What would be a good # of fabrics (variety-wise) to start with?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:05 PM

I would love to give this a try. Beginning quilter but willing to try/ and I like stars. I know not the easiest.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:53 PM

I would like to do it to but am a Major beginner..only finished one quilt top so far. So....and I may be totally wrong here...but it seems that the houses idea would allow for more skill levels...does that make sense. I mean a newbie could do something really easy and the experienced folks could go all out. I think the different kinds of houses would be alot of fun...houses, churchs, schools, outhouses, barns, bird houses, etc. Would be a really cute quilt :) Now...just to educate me, how does the BOM work? Does everyone make a block each month and then they trade them out?
Old 09-06-2010, 03:08 PM

BOM you make your own block, and get to keep it. Once a theme is chosen, each month someone will chose a pattern. it would be a great way for everyone, including beginners to increase their skills.

Originally Posted by Qbee
I would like to do it to but am a Major beginner..only finished one quilt top so far. So....and I may be totally wrong here...but it seems that the houses idea would allow for more skill levels...does that make sense. I mean a newbie could do something really easy and the experienced folks could go all out. I think the different kinds of houses would be alot of fun...houses, churchs, schools, outhouses, barns, bird houses, etc. Would be a really cute quilt :) Now...just to educate me, how does the BOM work? Does everyone make a block each month and then they trade them out?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:33 PM

Hey Quilter's,
I am liking all of the new ideas for the 2011 BOM theme!! :D It's going to be a hard decision to decide on. I want to add to the house idea's, that we could do barn's & school houses also. What does eveyone think of that? It would be nice to have a large variety for building's. Anything goes, keep the ideas coming!!
:D :D :D :D
Old 09-07-2010, 04:11 AM

I like the idea of adding school's and barns.
As we keep the blocks we make, each can be embellished as we would like. Barns and schools give me ideas:) will start lloking for buttons, (just in case) can you see a school bus button? How about a cow buttonor other animal buttons?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:04 AM

What if the stars and buildings were all combined into one quilt. Maybe have a starry sky over the whole town?