Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
BOM April 15th - Applique Tulip - The Photos >

BOM April 15th - Applique Tulip - The Photos

BOM April 15th - Applique Tulip - The Photos

Old 04-24-2007, 01:37 AM

Ceannastahr:
Thank you. I'll be teaching this block construction to my quilt group next month.
Feathers
Old 04-24-2007, 01:43 AM

Yvonne:
I love your block...especially the 4 patches background and the wedge-shaped sashing. How creative you are. Good work.
Feathers
Old 04-24-2007, 03:22 AM

Ya'll are a talented bunch of people. All the blocks look great!
Old 04-24-2007, 05:29 AM

Your quilt is fantastic, how about teaching us how to do this block??
I love your tulip too. good work.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:31 AM

Yvonne, you've outdone yourself, really gives me something to think about. All you guys are so good.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-2458.jpe   attachment-2459.jpe  
Old 04-24-2007, 08:54 AM

I wish I were in your group to learn this block
Old 04-29-2007, 07:50 AM

Every ones tulips are just awe-inspiring in the colors and all. Isn't it just too true that the largest amount of time is spent in color and fabric selection? I did all of mine in pink, blue, green and yellow they will go with two of the frolics I made in those colors. I also created a butterfly block to go with the flowers. I Did three tulips. So I will be doing another frolic and two more butterflies then will put it together in a small throw quilt for my niece.

Feathers; I just love your flower/star quilt. I notice that some look like sunflowers while another block reminded me of a water flower. What are they called Lotus or something like that? It depends on the color of fabrics combos which flower they look like or is it a star? Are the center circles appliqued? Or is it pieced?

So, do you iron on the butcher paper to the back of the 12x12 block? I thought you were putting it on the back of the applique pcs. and I just couldn't make any sense out of that :lol: But I did have some pucker problems with some fabric more than others and it was frustrating so I will definitely try that technique on my next block!
Old 04-29-2007, 08:04 AM

Feathers, I had to go back and take another look at your quilt top. I see they stand up. Those are Little prairie pts. or some thing aren't they? Sewn around the circle, then What? Satin stitched in the center of a block? :?:
Old 04-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by susan s.
I did all of mine [tulips] in pink, blue, green and yellow they will go with two of the frolics I made in those colors.
So, do you iron on the butcher paper to the back of the 12x12 block?
and your pictures are .... where?

freezer paper; ironed to the whole back.

and your pictures are ... where?
:?: 8) :wink:
Old 04-29-2007, 04:42 PM

Susan S:
Thanks, I'm glad you liked my blocks. I love the top and it was a great way to use up scraps. Yes, it does make a difference in what fabrics are used as to what flower you come out with. I like the ones where the circle in the middle, the petals and the corners of the star are all the same print fabric. I blanket stitched/appliqued the center circle down but left the petals free as I tried one with the petals sewn down and none of my quilt buds or my husband and family like that block as well as the ones with the petals left loose. For the center circle I used the top of a Cool Whip container...about 5 inches across. The petals are half an oval shape. I cut ovals using a plastic storage bowl kinda sqeezed in the middle to make the oval... 4 3/4 inches long by 2 1/2 inches ACROSS THE CENTER OF THE OVAL so when you cut the oval in half you have 2 half ovals that measure about 2 1/2 inches across by 2 1/4 inches long. I used muslin on the back (with right side of the petal fabric facing right side of muslin) of each of these petals with a scant 1/4 inch seam allowance then turned the petals right side out and pressed them. I did the same thing with the center 5 inch circle.

Put the lined 5 inch circle on a 6 1/2 inch backing square of contrasting color and blanket stitch the circle down.

To make the 8 pointed star you can use any pattern for the 8 pointed star. I used 3 1/2 inch square corner squares in white then 6 1/2 inch rectangles in white with a 3 1/2 inch square the color or contrasting color of the center circle and petals on either end of the rectangle sewn from outside upper corner to center of rectangle right sides together. After making the diagnal sewn line cut the lower part of the half off the lower corner of the square over the rectangle and press the other half of the square down to make a full rectangle with the lower corner of the same fabric as the center circle...If you look at any quilt book it tells you how to make this rectangle with the squares block (looks like 2 half triangles but the center part if all one piece.

I made 30 blocks and put them together and it's big enough for a double bed . Add 6 inch sashing and binding and you have a quilt. Feathers