Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Blog Entries
    I have been working on my Dear Jane for a while off and on( months)...I will make a few blocks then move on to something else...I can't work on it exclusively...I have signed up to work along with all of you and I hope I can keep up...I started mine while the first group was in progress but I was never at the same place as everyone else as I discovered it late...I have deleveloped a system for myself that helps me a lot and makes it easier for me to keep track of my blocks etc, especially since I start and stop frequently...

I was struggling with losing pieces of paper patterns as I was cutting them out and since the pieces can be so small, it can become like a puzzle to remember how to put everything back together...so I came up with this idea...I had a package of 4 cork sheets that I bought at Walmart for a bulletin board wall but never ended up using 2 of them...so I pin my paper pieces onto the cork sheet and then I cut my fabric pieces out to get ready for sewing...as I cut the fabric I pin the fabric close to the paper, or under it, so that I can keep track of which pieces belong to which subparts of the block..and then when I am ready to sew the subblocks together they are all there ready for me to pick up with the paper...

I keep my cork sheet in a large cardboard lid from a boot box that I grabbed when I started and it has helped me keep organized...(a tray would be good) This way my pieces don't get lost for each particular block...now sometimes I cut out all the fabric shapes for more than one block at a time, and if I do this, I use my second cork sheet...only 1 blocks really fits on the cork...if I need more I use the styrofoam flat plates that I get under my vegetables at the grocery store...

At the back on the cork I have copied the outline of the square and triangle and so when I complete a block I square it up and if it is a little itty bit smaller I can block it right on the cork board....I have really had to play with my seams as in the beginning my blocks were about 1/8 inch too small....getting better at that...

When I print out the pattern I cut out the title of the block and I pin it to my board so I know which one it is...especially if time goes by I forgot which one it is...then when I am finished I pin it to the block

I printed out a copy of the diagram from the Dear Jane computer program, and using coloured pencils, coloured it my colours for Trip Around the World Pattern...now I know by looking at my diagram what colour fabric I have to make each block...

4. Since i am only using 1 main colour for each block, I take a snip of that fabric colour and glue it to my chart...it helps my see what colours are next to each other and also to visually see which blocks I have done...I am do my blocks from fabric I have and want to try not to repeat fabrics so this way I can also see if I have used one of my fabrics already...

5. I now keep the completed blocks in a platic container..they were on my design wall so I could admire them...but after I lost one, (a triangle) (hoping it didn't fall into the garbage one day when I had the window open) I have put them away...still hoping it is going to appear somewhere as the little buggar took me a lot of time to do...

6. That Quilt has been a wonderful resource and helps me a lot...but there are many ways to complete each block...

7. For the pieces that involve applique, I am saving them as portable projects to take with me...I get them ready and have set them aside...

8. I have remade 2...just couldn't live with 2 of them...don't be surprised if some blocks take 2 hours or more...you can't hurry these little blocks and that is why I find I have to be in the "mood" for "Cara Gianna", as I refer to her..

I will post some pics if you like ...I am in the middle of recharging my camera battery

I don't know how I am going to quilt it...don't think it will be QAYG...but I will use very very thin batting...are any of you familar with batting called Cloud 9...I would appreciate your advice on this...as I would like to hand quilt this???maybe???

If you have any questions please ask and I will try to help...
    Last edited by tellabella; 01-04-2012 at 09:03 PM.

I have officially started. I did two practice squares one at 4.5 and one at 6.5. Attached are my first 4 squares of the 6 for the first 2 weeeks. Trying to get a jump ahead as I know this summer I will get behind. Somebody earlier said they are addicting and they certainly are. I didn't want to stop last nite. I have decided to do CW fabric with a white muslin. I have plenty of the muslin and I've been wanting to make something with CW fabrics so this will work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Echoemb, I can see with the first four blocks that I'm going to love your DJ! What's your secret to making such a bright and clear photo? Mine are always kind of blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by tellabella View Post
    I have been working on my Dear Jane for a while off and on( months)......I have deleveloped a system for myself that helps me a lot and makes it easier for me to keep track of my blocks etc, especially since I start and stop frequently...

When I print out the pattern I cut out the title of the block and I pin it to my board so I know which one it is...especially if time goes by I forgot which one it is...then when I am finished I pin it to the block

I printed out a copy of the diagram from the Dear Jane computer program, and using coloured pencils, coloured it my colours for Trip Around the World Pattern...now I know by looking at my diagram what colour fabric I have to make each block...

4. Since i am only using 1 main colour for each block, I take a snip of that fabric colour and glue it to my chart...it helps my see what colours are next to each other and also to visually see which blocks I have done...I am do my blocks from fabric I have and want to try not to repeat fabrics so this way I can also see if I have used one of my fabrics already...

5. thru 8.

If you have any questions please ask and I will try to help...
    Thank you TellaBella! These are great tips. For sure I will be using tip #2, #3, and #4. I never would have thought of those on my own! Unfortunately, I can not advise you on the Cloud 9 batting since I have not used it. -Judy

Quote Originally Posted by katybob View Post
    Echoemb, I can see with the first four blocks that I'm going to love your DJ! What's your secret to making such a bright and clear photo? Mine are always kind of blurry.
    well I have discovered that the camera "eye" on the back of my cell phone gets gunky. No wonder with being shoved in a purse, pocket of my jeans/coat, and thrown any number of places. SO out comes the q-tip to clean that little baby off when it it comes time to take a picture. Works wonders. I cussed my old cell phone for the lousy pictures it took but I would bet it had the same problem just a gunky "eye". Try that and see if it helps.

Took all morning to get to page 71 and didnt read all the blogs.
    I want to take the class but unsure how to sign up and follow along.
    Are we doing them on our own or will there be instructions and where? Not on this blog its to big.
    I bought the software awhile back and found it confusing but will check it out again.

welcome Rose Marie. we will be following a schedule that cre8tvlwyr made up (see post #698). some will go faster some will go slower. we are not really doing a time limit just a group getting together to make this journey and help and encourage each other to keep going. you do have to have either the software or the book. since you have the software that will be a huge help. if you are still confused by the software then post your questions/confusion and someone will more than happy to try helping you understand it better. i know that during the first cyber sew one of the members and i chatted on the phone so i could talk her thru a problem.

hope this helps
    everyone is beautiful they just don't know it yet

Thanks, this will be fun.

Blog Entries
    Oh I think I will join in..I will be working at a different pace....but it will be nice to share our progress here. YAY!
    " A girl should be two things: Classy and Fabulous!" Coco Chanel
    www.charismascorner.com
    I quilt on my INNOVA long arm. I own an 18 & 26.

This is already fun - just reading these posts! It seems like a great group. I'm eager to get my stuff so I can start.

Blog Entries
    I have wanted to do DJ for a long time... have had my software for years. This will get me going. I hope I can finish according to schedule. I still need to get my background fabric. I think I want to do mine in reds. I'm thinking I want to have this one to replace my current bed quilt, which is showing it's age. It is red and cream and I have used that color scheme for my bedroom. So I'll stick with that.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Nancy, sounds like a good idea. And gives me an idea.

I just tried to get the pattern for A1 and finally gave up.
    Where do you find the pattern?
    This software is impossible even with the big user manual that jumps around and dosnt give you just the basic patterns for the block. Im frustrated.
    I just want to know what size to cut the pieces, why is it so hard?

Unhappy

I just received word that the software/book is on back order with unknown time of receiving. Looks like I'll be behind before we even get started.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    This software is impossible even with the big user manual that jumps around and dosnt give you just the basic patterns for the block. Im frustrated.
    I promise you'll get used to it. (1) In the DJ software, click on "Design My Quilt" on the left side.
    (2) At the top, click on "Libraries", then click "Block"
    (3) At the bottom of the dialog box, click on "Search"
    (3) Type "A-1" (without the quotes) and click "Search", then click OK
    (4) Click on the block. Most often, I choose the original DJ block, not one of the variations.
    (5) Click "Copy" and "Close"
    (6) Click on "Print the Pattern" on the left side.
    (7) Click on the print icon at the top just below "libraries"
    (8) For A-1 in this case, select "Foundation Pattern".
    (9) Click Options and check the "Mirror" box
    (10) Click "Preview". Move the sections around if you need to, and click "Print" at the top of the screen.
    Done.
    I usually also print out the instructions in "that quilt". They're quite detailed and helpful.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    RoseMarie, Go to http://thatquilt.blogspot.com/ she has really good directions. I printed them out for each block. I haven't started sewing, lol, I may eat my words. But try her directions before you give up.
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Quote Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
    RoseMarie, Go to http://thatquilt.blogspot.com/ she has really good directions. I printed them out for each block. I haven't started sewing, lol, I may eat my words. But try her directions before you give up.
    And it really helped me to do the lessons provided in the software. It acquainted me both with the software and a few of the techniques. I didn't discover "thatquilt" til I'd done a few blocks.

I have a question. What brand of batt are all y'all using to QAYG? I think I need to order it ASAP.....
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

SheriR - Someone on this thread or maybe another thread on this board recommended 100% cotton by Dream Request (I'm not sure that's the correct name), and I ordered some yesterday. It should be here in a few days.

I just checked -- it's called Quilter's Dream Request
    Last edited by katybob; 01-05-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Found name of batting

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charismah View Post
    Oh I think I will join in..I will be working at a different pace....but it will be nice to share our progress here. YAY!
    Yippee! Big smiley face!!!
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
    Thank you TellaBella! These are great tips. For sure I will be using tip #2, #3, and #4. I never would have thought of those on my own! Unfortunately, I can not advise you on the Cloud 9 batting since I have not used it. -Judy
    Judy, the chart has helped me a lot...forgot to say that I enlarged it on 11 x 17 paper...so I can see the design better..

Blog Entries
    Not perfect, but finished!
    A6 - English Paper Pieced (EPP) , A8 - EPP, B4 - Foundation Pieced

Great fun, but how many more did you say?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski

Quote Originally Posted by Fraew View Post
    Not perfect, but finished!
    A6 - English Paper Pieced (EPP) , A8 - EPP, B4 - Foundation Pieced

Great fun, but how many more did you say?
    just a few lol
    everyone is beautiful they just don't know it yet

Fraew - I like your interpretation of the blocks changing fabrics on the corners and cross on A8 gives it a totally different look. Did you reduce the middle on B4 [last block shown on right] or enlarge the others??

Tellabella - great suggestions!!

Rose Marie - welcome aboard!! I do have a couple of suggestions that hopefully will make life easier:
    1. If you haven't downloaded [or found] the schedule yet, QuiltnNan [Nancy] who has joined our group added the schedule to the very first post.
    2. I have suggested to a few people to change their general settings so they can pull up more posts per page. Mine is set for 20/page so I am currently on page 37. You can set it for whatever is comfortable for you - to change it, click on 'settings' at the top right of any page [way at the top]. A column will appear on the right of your screen. Scroll down to my account.. general settings and click on that. When your screen changes scroll down to change the number of posts per page [and whatever else you feel like changing] Just remember to "save changes" down at the bottom right of the page when you are done.

3. Brenda Papadakis has different level blocks all over her quilt. A1 is an intermediate block. I have no clue what your sewing ability is. but I would not start with intermediate when there are many simpler blocks. Particularly when you are trying to learn a computer software program at the same time - the first two weeks I scheduled A6, A8 and B4 for week one and C1, C3, B13 for week 2. They are ALL beginning blocks. In fact 'Uncle Homer - A6' is discussed in lesson one of Brenda's sewing techniques in the software - simply go to 'back to Dear Jane' at bottom left column to find the lessons.

hope it all helps
    it's your quilt - we will not bring any quilt police - this is the first time I've led or started a group and I guarantee there are many helpful supportive ladies that will help us all
    ENJOY the journey!!
    Gus
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-06-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    @Cre8tvlwyr: Thx! I didn't change anything (except fabrics), printed directly from the software. The blocks all finish at 4.5" (5" with seam allowance). The paper is still in the EPP blocks (A6, A8) so they are shown at 4.5". The foundation block (B4) is shown with seam allowance, at 5".
    Fraew

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 ... LastLast