Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012 >

Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Old 11-26-2011, 05:22 PM

Sandpat, as usual, i listened to you. i remember that you said, you felt your quilt was really heavy. quiltswithconvicts had said she used the very thinest she could find, and so did i. I am very happy with my choice. i even took it back out of the quilting frame when i was half done, to do a repair, before i started in the other direction. and i was even more happy that i had chosen the very lightest and thinest batting i could find at joanes. my jane was just fine. i am so pleased with the light batting.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:24 PM

sewNso, does that mean it was the thinnest polyester batting?
Old 11-26-2011, 05:55 PM

Personally I am contemplating using white flannel for my batting layer. I'll pre-shrink it before using it. It will add little bulk, slight warmth, should handquilt easily. The result will be more like a spread than a quilt, but still lovely.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:56 PM

If been reading this blog. You ladies have put a bug in my brain. I like the idea of quilting each square separately or did you ladies sew all blocks together then quilted on batting only finishing with your backing? Just a little confused from all that turkey!
Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 AM

the ladies suggested that you cut your batting square larger than your 4.5" 'DJ' block. then you can hand quilt the block to the batting (no backing at this point)
when you're ready to, you can sash your blocks together and slip stitch the batting together at the back to keep all the batting flat.
eventually you add your backing, and at this point the only quilting the backing will need is to 'SITD' down the sashing's.
(did i get it right ladies??) lol

Originally Posted by memereof8 View Post
If been reading this blog. You ladies have put a bug in my brain. I like the idea of quilting each square separately or did you ladies sew all blocks together then quilted on batting only finishing with your backing? Just a little confused from all that turkey!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Yes, thats exactly right Jacquie! The directions are somewhere in the original Jane Stickle Cyber Sew thread...around, I think page 218 or 240...something or there abouts. Of course...it won't be that now with the board change, so I have NO idea what page it would be on now.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:44 AM

Thanks Jacquie for your clear instruction. I will keep this thread in my folder
Old 11-27-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat View Post
meme....many of us in the 1st Jane Cyber sew group ended up devising our own paper piecing patterns as we went along. There are some errors in the software patterns (sorry, can't remember which blocks) and then some of them wouldn't print as a paper piecing pattern.....so we would print out the "Block", then segment it out ourselves so it could be paper pieced.
I don't know how I missed this first time....[must've been all that cooking & I checked the site Thanksgiving - no posts tryptophan!!]

Thanks for the note about the software issues - I do have the software and will try my best to stay a minimum of a week ahead so I can alert you of any problems I encounter.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:15 PM

Personally - I would stay far away from Warm and Natural for this quilt. I picked up bamboo at a quilt show and have quilted three quilts using both the straight bamboo batting and 50cotton/50bamboo - it is wonderful and thin but still holds warmth if that is what you want - without being overbearing. flannel is a good choice - I used it in a quilted jacket I made over 25 yrs ago and love - wear it all too often as it is loved & worn - but very comfy! You do need to make sure it is prewashed or you will have a problem with everything puckering when you do wash it later.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:33 PM

I have a question. If you buy the CD do you have to have other software to use it? or is it just a cd with patterns?