Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012 >

Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Old 01-12-2012, 09:05 AM

I don't know Gus, I've never tried that and I've been using the software a few months now. I would love to know if that's possible too!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr View Post
Feathers - I am going to ask you to post those again this weekend when the new thread is started - you are an inspiration for those afraid that 3 a week is too much

I have a [hopefully quick] question for those familiar with the software print - someone had said you can 'move' pieces around before printing. That I could do - but how do you add another block's pieces to the first one to actually use more of the paper? Do you have to make it all go to one side and then run through the printer again to get the next pattern on the other end hoping there's no overlap?
Gus
i have never tried that either
Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 AM

I have a [hopefully quick] question for those familiar with the software print - someone had said you can 'move' pieces around before printing. That I could do - but how do you add another block's pieces to the first one to actually use more of the paper? Do you have to make it all go to one side and then run through the printer again to get the next pattern on the other end hoping there's no overlap?
Gus
I'm not at home to try this, but from the quilt, try selecting two blocks by holding the shift or control and clicking on each block. Then click print and select the print type. If this won't work, I don't know what would. I belong to the InfoEQ list, and have posted the question there. It it can be done, they will know how. I will let you know what I find out.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 AM

I tried that but that gives you only one block to print. So I'm waiting if the InfoEQ has an answer.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Gus
It's not possible to print more than one block at a time. Even with moving pieces, I doubt that turning the paper and printing would allow you more than one block per page. Of course, you can try it and let us know
I'm printing as many rotary instructions as I can get away with. I like those best. I can probably print front and back, though. Usually, I don't print them, just read them from the screen on my other projects. But this is probably my greatest ever project and I want to stay organized. So the paper and printer ink will have to be sacrificed LOL
Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM

Feathers - I am going to ask you to post those again this weekend when the new thread is started - you are an inspiration for those afraid that 3 a week is too much

Gus
If you are prining just the block outlines the yes you can fit two blocks on a page. I adjust the top margin as narrow as my printer will allow and print block 1, then rotate the paper to print block 2. If I remember you cannot print any text in the header. When doing tris the tri can be nudged via the margins so a right and left tri will fit on one page.

I am handpiecing so I print the blocks outlines on freezer paper, (not the provided templates) cut apart with scissors and adhere with the iron. When I cut apart the fabric I add seam allowance. Please see Linda Franz for great instructions on the process.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:50 PM

I was planning on making 5.5" squares and I have it all planned in my software. I forgot about the tris. I had printed the first 6 blocks for paper piecing but now I am going back to the drawing board. I will definitely need to use the rulers to square up my tris.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:10 PM
mim

I'm doing 5 1/2 inch also. I'm going to wait until I decide on the sashing width and put a couple squares together with sashing and then measure what I need to make. In other words -- just wing it
Mim
Old 01-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

Yes, thats what you would have to do Gus....but I found that there were only a couple of blocks AND tri's that I couldn't get all on just 1 page. Now to be clear...I did pp all of mine. I printed the entire Block as a "block" when I wanted to applique instead of the templates . (all you need to do is add a seam allowance after tracing the piece afterall) I always printed both a "block" and the pp pattern. The block was printed so I could be sure how to put the darn thing together.

Lets face it....really, if you are investing all this time and fabric in the quilt (and it will be fabulous!)...what is an extra sheet of paper now and then?...in the big picture???
Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 PM

I have gotten started on mine also, but will wait till the new thread is posted before loading them. I may actually get a few more done. lol My problem is that I can't finish it until 3 years from now, and here is the reason. I am using some 30's fabrics, some country fabrics and just pieces from my stash. And that includes quilts that I have made with grandkids when they turned 13, so I am incorporating some of those fabrics. But, I have one granddaughter left who is 10, and I have to wait till she does her quilt, so I can use some of her fabrics. Then, years from now, they can look at this quilt, and say, that material was in my 13 year old quilt, or my graduation quilt, or my wedding quilt. lol Sure have loved seeing the blocks that have been posted so far. Look forward to more.