Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012 >

Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Old 12-28-2011, 11:31 AM

i'm glad you found the 'tut', i'm not really sure about batting, i just bought a thin one as advised by other ladies... i've heard wool batting is hard to hand quilt... we shall put it out there to the ladies and see what the majority think...

which is the best thin batting ladies???

well, the stitches are GONE!! woohooo!!! (carpal tunnel opp' last tuesday, stitches out today! at last!!)
although, i now have 'steri-strips' instead... i pulled my thumb the other day taking off my night-top and felt a 'pull' in the wound. not a painful pull, but enough to feel i had done something but i wasn't sure what... well, the 'top skin' has pulled apart a little, but it's healed underneath.
the surgeon cut along the skin fold line that runs around the base of the thumb. that must have been the 'pull' i felt. never mind, it will heal in time. it's nice to have rid of the stitches and all of the dressings though!
i asked the nurse about the physio that has been mentioned by a few different ladies... the doc's reply is that we don't deem it necessary here (in the uk) as it hasn't proved to be advantageous. so, i just have to take my time in healing, don't over do it, and be SENSIBLE. me, sensible? never!!??!! lol... i will of cause be very sensible where my hand is concerned. as i'd be 'gutted' if i lost the ability to sew!! i am a true believer of 'listening to my body', it will tell me, soon enough if it's not happy in any way! :c)

well i've rambled on enough now!!
thanks for listening to my 'jibber jabbering'!!!
take care all, love jacquie xxxxx
Old 12-28-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by jacquie View Post
i'm glad you found the 'tut', i'm not really sure about batting, i just bought a thin one as advised by other ladies... i've heard wool batting is hard to hand quilt... we shall put it out there to the ladies and see what the majority think...

which is the best thin batting ladies???

xx
I have not yet quilted a DJ but prefer a wool batting over cotton if I am hand quilting. Fabric.com currently has 108" wide white flannel in stock. I am thinking about getting a swatch to see if I want to use this as my batting.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:07 PM

Wonderful news Jacquie. Had that done in one hand and may have to do in other. My physio was sewing. Yes, sewing. It helps to get the fine motor skills (muscles) back into shape. Of course take it easy. Gradually lift objects, do not over do that because then you just make it swell and then you are back at square one. I was determined to be able to sew again and that is what I did. I am thankful for handstitching, that is what helped. I may have to do my left, it is acting up something fierce lately. yes, I am still sewing, I blame the typing for a living. Glad you are back into the swing. Since the Dear jane likes hand sewing, looks like a good thing to start with.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:13 PM

thank you!!
you've 'lifted my heart'!! hand sewing it is then!! i will really enjoy this kind of physio!! lol... and thanks for the other bits of advise!! it's more than i've had off my doc's and nurses!! a lot of use they've been!! huh!! lol...
all the best with your other hand!
thankfully, my left hand died down with symptoms. so, hopefully i won't need to get that one done!! cross fingers!
Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
Wonderful news Jacquie. Had that done in one hand and may have to do in other. My physio was sewing. Yes, sewing. It helps to get the fine motor skills (muscles) back into shape. Of course take it easy. Gradually lift objects, do not over do that because then you just make it swell and then you are back at square one. I was determined to be able to sew again and that is what I did. I am thankful for handstitching, that is what helped. I may have to do my left, it is acting up something fierce lately. yes, I am still sewing, I blame the typing for a living. Glad you are back into the swing. Since the Dear jane likes hand sewing, looks like a good thing to start with.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:51 PM

Jacquie, thanks for explaining the 'QAYG'. I haven't ever understood how people were doing this until you explained it. It just finally clicked. I wasn't sure how it would look after the backing was applied. Now I understand. Thanks
Old 12-28-2011, 07:06 PM

I'm not on the list I want to join too, please
Old 12-28-2011, 07:54 PM

I have classes starting up on Jan 9th so I'm trying to get a jump. Here's what I have for the first few weeks.

To be fair A8, B4, C1, and A5 were NOT made by me. I got them from the last Dear Jane swap. I figured since I had a bunch from that I'd just go with blues and whites.

The others need to be pressed. I made them today.
Attached Thumbnails 109.jpg  
Old 12-28-2011, 08:28 PM

How do we bookmark in this nnew forum
Old 12-29-2011, 01:11 AM

hi, the row above the top post you will see;
'THREAD TOOLS'
click on this...
you will be given a few options... click on
'SUBSCRIBE TO THIS THREAD'
you will then be given a few options as to how you wish to be notified about new posts,
i always go for 'daily updates by emails' as you tend to get ALOT of postings on this thread, and your personal email box would be overloaded lo!!!
once you have chosen your subscription type look for the BLUE BOX underneath called;
'ADD SUBSCRIPTION'
that should be you then
to find it again in the future, go to the top of the page and click on
'SETTINGS'
you'll come to a page saying;
'SUBSCRIBED THREADS WITH NEW POSTS'
IF, you have just looked at this thread, it WON"T come upon this page, (as you will have already looked at the new posts!)
to find it again, a little further down the page you will see a blue box saying;
'VIEW ALL SUBSCRIBED THREADS'
you will find ALL of your subscribed threads (read and unread) on this page, ones you've caught up on and ones you haven't.
i hope this helps, and you can follow my instructions! lol...
love jacquie xxxx
'
QUOTE=fromzstore;4819727]How do we bookmark in this nnew forum[/QUOTE]

Last edited by jacquie; 12-29-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:02 AM

Default First Block

Couldn't wait to get started! Like the previous post I have some things starting up in January and don't want to fall behind. Here is my first block. Boy, those pieces are tiny to work with, aren't they? I'm machine piecing the ones that I can, otherwise I'd use the silk thread that others have used. Using a silk covered cotton in the machine. Any other recommendations for a thread for the machine? I used a scant 1/4" seam and pressed carefully at every step. Saw someone recommend the 3 step pressing process and used her idea - I do think it helped!!

Thanks, Gus, for organizing this!!
Attached Thumbnails 6-uncle-homer.jpg