Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:14 AM

GOOD MORNING KITTENS how are you doing today? lol. I hope all is well on the quilty front. I saw a post a few back on how did mine end up 21.5... guess need to know what you started with if it was 18.5 and you add 4.5 you should get 22.. did you make your seams to large or perhaps.. horror of all horrors your center was not 18.5 but 17.5 to start with.. just wondering... you can easily just now put a border on it to finish out at 24.5, you know frame it up? strips with no corner stones or with them.. then your would be ready for the next round with no sizing issues. tada! I am working now on four round robins. I can say you are so lucky if you end up with a number one can really work with as lots of people don't get the center size right to begin with. off by 1/2 inch makes it tough to fit a round right? so take your time, measure, measure.. and if your going out on your own remember how many blocks to fit across.. when you decide to just improvise lol or you could end up with this magic 2 inch spot that well your blocks surely don't fit in.. any questions just write me or Jaba and we will gladly walk you through it

thanks for the heads up on wanting more rounds! love picking them, and with two one surely will fit with your quilt or I hope so anyways. I think that's part of what I Like about Judys mystery trains. You pick your fabrics based on her recommendations and then.. she does all the thinking we just sew. works out every single time .

Today is a fun day in the Brat house. Kids and DH go fishing this morning (yeah me time) and then shooting this afternoon (yeah go shoot!) and then we all go to town to hit tourist shops and graze I think. Not a bad day at all. They are really having a good time which is nice to see. Loving this visit. I keep hinting I need grandchildren.. she keeps saying tell your son to marry her. I smile and say .. hurry up but its ok if you wait til you get home to start that hurrying stuff
Old 01-17-2014, 07:21 AM

whitepine and m-faye, if you started with a 12 1/2" center and put a 4 1/2" round on it, it should now measure 20 1/2". Next round you'll have to use a cornerstone for a fill-in and then it will be back on track again. When you start with a 12 1/2" or 18 1/2" center you just have to deal with that uneven number somewhere along the way until you can work it in. I'll see what I can some up with for you as an option you might like, for right now your centers should measure 20 1/2" for what you started with. If you want a plain border to block your center, put it on now. Strips should be cut to 2 1/2" wide and sewn on, then your centers should measure 24 1/2" (if it measures 21" now, that's okay) as long as you trim it to measure 24 1/2"...
Old 01-17-2014, 07:36 AM

Will add 1 more thing.....remember if you start with 12 1/2" (example) add a 4 1/2" border, you are putting 4 1/2" on EACH side and the top and bottom = 8. Think of it as 12 plus 8 forget about the 1/2" that's the seam allowances when you are figuring your dimensions, you just have to add that on when you cut your fabric because that's what you are sewing. Hope I haven't screwed you all up...same thing every pattern says.."be sure to add your seam allowances". All the measurements I give you are with that allowance already added.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:10 AM

Thanks Jaba and Brat for more dimensions. I am pretty close to 20 1/2", 20 3/4" actually, but I can deal with that. I just thought maybe I was off because I can't see how 20" is going to work with a 6" block. But hey, I can also deal with a little mystery and will anxiously wait for Feb. to see how it all comes together. LOL.

I am a little "off" but not so much in my sewing. LOL Another grey, foggy day in the pacific northwest. But compared to the drought, fire, record snow and wind in the rest of the country, I'm not complaining. Brat, fishing!!. Must have warmed up a little in Wyoming. But then, you guys are TOUGH.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:59 PM

OK, I have one side completed, the other pc is partly done, just put it against the block to see how it would look. How do you think it's looking? I stopped for a while, need to cut more strips to make the blocks. Opinions appreciated.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]457092[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0602.jpg  
Old 01-17-2014, 02:08 PM

Oksewnsew; your colors look great. Have you tried turning those blocks all the same direction too? Which ever setting you do will look wonderful.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:20 PM

Yes Mama, I did turn them all the same, with black against the block, then with all red print against the block and it looked funny to me... It just didn't give it an dimension so that's why I did them the way I did. This is really something different for me..lolo BUT, I'm gonna make it work..
Old 01-17-2014, 02:20 PM

OK: I think your choice of border harmonizes very well with your center! As Ms. Hen pointed out if the black borders were turned towards the center it would produce a black line that would frame your center without interfering with the diamond in the center. Again this is a design decision and will be great any way you do it. Would sure like to see a picture of them turned.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:21 PM

Sorry OK, we were typing at the same time.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:53 PM

Oksewnsew--love your center and the 1st row is such a good match to it.

Ok I shuttled by must do making binding to the back and worked on my Medallion. Here is the center/1st border. It is for my great-nephew that is graduating from HS and just became an Eagle Scout. He lives in AZ and I will not see him until the summer. So I am using this Quilt Along to "git it done."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]457100[/ATTACH]He is over 6 feet tall, so needs a large quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]457101[/ATTACH]Twisted ribbon (pg 24/236) Thx, Jabba

not sure why the Sylvia's Bridal quilt is attached. Sooooooooo, Sooorry
Attached Thumbnails photo-2.jpg   photo.jpg   photo-1.jpg  

Last edited by giquilt; 01-17-2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: explain