Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 02-07-2014, 06:54 PM

Carriem - really like the way you made that rectangular! Looking great.
And works4me - your cat is awesome.
And everyone else is doing great too. Just didn't get names and quilts together in my head to comment individually.
Keep up the good work!

I'm getting lots of ideas, now to put some of them into action.

Don't know when I'm going to get time to do it though. The busy season is upon us. Eight weekends of Sherwood Forest Faire (near Austin) followed immediately by eight weekends of Scarborough Faire (near Dallas/Ft Worth). About 100 miles each way for Sherwood and about 200 miles each way for Scarby. And yes, we do go home each week to make more product. So sewing time is severely limited.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:40 PM

Carrie: Love the way you divided the space, really arresting. The colors are super too. Looking forward to seeing your next round.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:07 AM

love to see you in your Sherwood faire! pics we want pics! show us your booth, do you dress up too? how fun that would be. This must be indoor faires at this time of year? curiosity sparked again Mom 6!

Love the pink and blue your so right they are the same but oh so different because of the center. The kitty quilt is adorable.. now to quickly start another one so you can play with the other rounds and not leave us!

The black/white/pink round makes the center pop now go back to pink/black for the next round bring it back out you will be just fine.

I have a medallion quilt that is in the works last round. She is putting the checkerboard round on it three blocks on the sides five on top and bottom so it elongates it a bit for me .. perfect! then she plans to secretly applique something on to it and I will go nuts til I find out! I wanted to share a pic of a quilt I did for Melinda (nexxus) I did the last round, there was an applique put just before it. Mine were simple checkerboard blocks put on point with setting triangles it almost looks like its one round the last two .. its a very celtic looking quilt top and Melinda is in love with it. This is a nice example of what friends can do for each other.. just think of what you can do with your new borders!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]461092[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 1620631_782482025099299_951916771_n.jpg  
Old 02-08-2014, 05:59 AM

Brat: Melinda's quilt is truly amazing. Hard to believe it wasn't designed from start to finish. I don't know whether I just have been sensitized or what but doesn't it seem like medallion quilts are becoming more popular, seem to see them everywhere?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:07 AM

Everyone is doing some beautiful medallions, Kitty is looking awesome Works4me

Last edited by Jenniky; 02-08-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:26 AM

Oh, wow! Was that Celtic round an applique? That is just so amazing. Love that quilt. Thanks for showing it Brat.
Hey mom-6, is the Sherwood Faire something new? I spent 6 winters in Round Rock and I don't remember hearing of it. What kinds of things are you making to sell?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
This next one is called herringbone. Use 3 1/2" x 6 1/2" rectangle and 3 1/2" squares. Complete instructions for this border are found on the Quilters Cache website.
This was my odd size row that I needed to find the extra 2" somewhere, so in the centers of each side and the corners, I used the waste triangles from the rectangle pieces, sewed a 2 x 5" strip to each side and a 1 1/4 x 8" strip to the top and bottom to make the block. 6 1/2 x 6 1/2" blocks for each corner.

When I was sewing the 3 1/2" squares on the rectangles I chain sewed those through the machine and before I cut the triangles off I fed them back through the machine and sewed again 1/2" over, then cut between the 2 rows of stitching so the extra triangles were already sewn. When sewn together mine measured 5". You can see my pile of them, so will have them somewhere to use on the quilt later on.[ATTACH=CONFIG]459828[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]459830[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]459831[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]459832[/ATTACH]
Thinking about doing Jaba's Herringbone round but worried I might be cutting off more than I can chew. The friendship star looks good also. As last round I did the entwined border Im thinking the rickrack would not go well...hmph! What to do. ??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461123[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails medallion1.jpg  
Old 02-08-2014, 07:16 AM

Elisabrat, LOVE that quilt...the colors are amazing too. And thanks for reinforcing what I was thinking about my quilt...I just wasn't sure if I was wrong using that light round... I love how all these quilts are turning out so different looking, and many of them are exactly alike but look so different using different fabrics (the pink & blue)...all this will come in so handy for the future quilts! Thanks to you & Jaba for all the hard work you're putting into this. I have yet to use any of Jaba's ideas yet, but I have copied them to possibly use for future...these are so much fun that there may be a few more in the future when I have more time to tackle more!
Old 02-08-2014, 07:21 AM

Jen, I think I would make a narrow border all around with green, then tackle the new border. It will stop the eye enough for the new border to be appreciated. And yes, I think the rickrack border would not be the right border right now. JMHO
Old 02-08-2014, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carriem View Post
OK, so I was finally feeling well enough to think and cut and even sew. I decided to make my 1st round the one to make it a rectangle quilt. It works out size wise that the next round will have 4" finished blocks (5 across and 7 down). I will put the light green between each border, so the math might not be as easy next time! I should have time tomorrow afternoon to work on the next border.

Sorry the picture isn't cropped very well I am using DH's computer, trying to learn how to crop pictures using a Mac.
Carrie this is so you! Great colors!