Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The Farmer's Wife Sampler - Discussion Page for Week 2, Blocks 3 and 4 >

The Farmer's Wife Sampler - Discussion Page for Week 2, Blocks 3 and 4

The Farmer's Wife Sampler - Discussion Page for Week 2, Blocks 3 and 4

Old 08-18-2010, 09:49 AM

I am really stuck on that handle. I just dont get how I am suppose to appliqué it on.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?
I am doing this by hand. If I cant figure it out I will just leave it as is. I have already tried and ripped it out 2 times so now I am desperate to get this block done
Old 08-18-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
I am really stuck on that handle. I just dont get how I am suppose to appliqué it on.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?
I am doing this by hand. If I cant figure it out I will just leave it as is. I have already tried and ripped it out 2 times so now I am desperate to get this block done
Sorry you're having trouble with this...a few pointers which may help?

1) Make sure to cut your handle on the bias, so it has good stretch.
2) Press approx. 1/4" on both long sides under to hide the raw edges. Make sure the fabric stays folded under.
3) With your iron, you can start to create the curve of your handle by pressing in the middle of the strip and bending it down as you go, and "stretching" the curve out a bit.
4) When you have the curve as you want, pin it in position on your block, making sure to give room on both sides for your 1/4" seam allowance
5) Unpick your seam allowances where your handle "ends" will go and slip the handle ends in between your seams, tucking in the ends, & trimming off excess fabric.
6) With matching thread, take tiny blind hem stitches or applique stitches, starting in the center and working to one side and then the other (some like to start with the inside curve, others the outside curve)
6) When you've appliqued both the inside and outside curves, turn your block over and re-stitch the openings closed.
7) Press and give yourself a pat on the back!

I hope this helps just a bit...so sorry you're having a hard time with the handle...
Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 AM

I got started last night and got the first 4 blocks done, so I am caught up. Tonight, I will do this week's blocks and see how it goes from there. I am rotary cutting them and it's going good.

Using mainily Kansas Troubles fabric and a mix of some others that are similar.

#3 block Basket
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99161[/ATTACH]

#4 block Basket Weave
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99162[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-99156.jpe   attachment-99157.jpe  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:43 PM

I'm happy to see people can still join in. I did 3 of my 4 blocks yesterday.

Suzanne
Old 08-19-2010, 11:47 AM

Would someone please give me or tell me where I can find the directions for downloading the pictures of your blocks? I thought I had them written down but must have lost them. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi Pookie. I must have 30 rulers all sorts. for some reason or other I end up with a little piece of cardboard that I can hold in my hand. I find it thinner and easier to manipulate then the hard acrylic. anne
I wonder if cardboard is less slippery than acrylic, too. Lots of people have slipping issues. I need the acrylic because I'm pretty unsteady on my feet. I'd end up crumpling cardboard up. I do like your initiative.

Can't help you out, Debo. Hopefully someone else will come along shortly.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:06 PM
PJL

Originally Posted by Debo
Would someone please give me or tell me where I can find the directions for downloading the pictures of your blocks? I thought I had them written down but must have lost them. Thanks for your help.

Debo, go to the top of your computer screen and click on "Home" right undernearth Quilting Board. Then click on "Pictures" and the very first item on there is "How to post pictures." That's how I figured it out. Hope that helps.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM

Someone suggested going to Sam's (or WalMart) in the school section and purchasing the notebook dividers.
I did, and have no problem with slippage. I do prefer the thickness of the blank quilt template sheet I first used, but cannot find around here anywhere. One side is smoother than the other.
As an added bonus, the tab can be cut off and used as a leaf template. :)
Old 08-19-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi Pookie. I must have 30 rulers all sorts. for some reason or other I end up with a little piece of cardboard that I can hold in my hand. I find it thinner and easier to manipulate then the hard acrylic. anne
I wonder if cardboard is less slippery than acrylic, too. Lots of people have slipping issues. I need the acrylic because I'm pretty unsteady on my feet. I'd end up crumpling cardboard up. I do like your initiative.

Can't help you out, Debo. Hopefully someone else will come along shortly.
I only use the cardboard when I'm trimming my triangle squares after they've been sewn, pressed opened and pressed again. I hold the fabric and cardboard together and while holding it trim with small very sharp pointy scissors. The cardboard corners have been removed and the center lpenciled line is marked so I can match up the seams on both sides at the same time. I will take some photos and show you after I get some squares done.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by PJL
Originally Posted by Debo

Debo, go to the top of your computer screen and click on "Home" right undernearth Quilting Board. Then click on "Pictures" and the very first item on there is "How to post pictures." That's how I figured it out. Hope that helps.
Thanks so much for the help, PJL.