Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS 30's Quilt-Along Week 4   Blocks Augusta & Aunt >

The FWS 30's Quilt-Along Week 4 Blocks Augusta & Aunt

The FWS 30's Quilt-Along Week 4 Blocks Augusta & Aunt

Old 11-14-2016, 05:47 AM

I understood what chocolate you meant. :-)

Are you worried about it because you want the overall quilt to look light or bright? I think you can help control that simply by what color you use to set it. If you are going to set the blocks on point with white-- no matter if you use milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or black in sewing the blocks-- the overall effect will be brighter than if you set using say blue, or, well, milk chocolate. (And if you set on point, it will be brighter than if you set with sashing, no matter what sashing color you use.) With the blocks on point, half of the color in the quilt will be the background color, so it plays a big part in the overall feel and look.

Rather than value, what seemed to concern me more was variation of color. Midway, when I laid the blocks out together, I saw that I hadn't used much yellow or red. I used only my stash, and I have more cool colors than hot colors in it, and old, dull, sort of gloomy prints. After I saw that, I intentionally tried to use brighter colors.

Last edited by givio; 11-14-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:10 PM

That's very helpful. I didn't realize that setting on point would make the background color half of the quilt. I don't know if I want it to be light or bright. My ideas aren't really clear, and I guess it's because it's really my first scrappy type quilt. I just want it to flow together without one color taking over the whole thing. I would love it if it looked very 1930's scrap style. I just don't want to hate it when I'm finished. Ha ha

I understand what you are saying about your stash and it affecting your colors. It's great that you caught it early enough. I think I've changed into using more white, which is what I was planning to use to set the blocks. I'm not sure I'm going to continue this. I just really like the blocks better when they have more negative space / white in therm. I think it's Patchsmith? blog's blocks. They are infecting my eyes
Old 12-16-2016, 09:33 PM

Here's what I have so far:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]563863[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]563864[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20161216-img_0990-2.jpg   20161216-img_0991-2.jpg  
Old 12-16-2016, 09:38 PM

Those are looking great morganfam!
Old 12-23-2016, 03:16 AM

Thanks, JeanieG! I think I'm going to only do a few more brown and disperse them over the whole quilt. That's where I'm leaning at the moment, anyways. I'd like to see more pinks and yellows and purples. I think I'll redo my plan and see what happens.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:32 AM

Oh, my! Look at you! Coming right along!
I just used whatever fabric was to hand, or this and that. Mine are all quite a hodgepodge. After awhile, I laid them out, like you, and took a look at the color composition, and thought where is the yellow?
When QNS offered us some scraps when she was cleaning her sewing room, she sent me some yellows. I'm so glad to have them, after realizing what a dearth in my stash I had. They are so cheerful-- and special too because they were sent to me by her. (You know, when you see the fabric in the quilt, you remember what dress it was originally, or remember where it came from, etc.). I decided to use the yellows for the Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt as she mentioned yellow, but your post puts me in mind to use some of ONS's yellows for my remaining FW blocks.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:20 AM

That sounds wonderful, givio. Seeing those yellows in a block just might inspire you to finish your FW. I love it when I'm working under a full head of inspiration.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:54 AM

Sounds like you are thinking of different ways morganfarm7 to finish your blocks with stashing...I try mine out different ways ver night and sleep on possible choices.