Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS 30's Quilt-Along   Week 9   Block #17 Bride & Block #18 Carol >

The FWS 30's Quilt-Along Week 9 Block #17 Bride & Block #18 Carol

The FWS 30's Quilt-Along Week 9 Block #17 Bride & Block #18 Carol

Old 10-06-2015, 04:42 PM

Two weeks to go. And we are down to the kitchen...and eating all kinds of weird meals just to get rid of the food. I get tired but it's coming to an end. Once I'm in NY I'll just take my time unloading. Now I have to be sure to make all my necessary changes, like today we got new cell phones so we could keep our current number. Still lots of changes to be made, but I can certainly say, that this move is the easiest as far as changing accounts etc. With the help of the great and wonderful computer. Two moves ago I had to do it all by hand and mail everything. I already have the important things changed, like "my quilting magazines" LOL And all my bills are sent to my email address, so as they come in I'll change the address on them. Packing is harder since I'm in a wheel chair but I don't let that stop me about anything.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:02 AM

Well, well, guess who finally got these two done?! Moi... Although, I'm not at all happy with how bride turned out. So, she's on the list to redo... Carol, on the other hand is probably my favorite of all 20 so far.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532809[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532810[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20151008_094334-1_resized_zpsoctlfonj.jpg   20151008_094519-1_resized_zpshjuolwf3.jpg  
Old 10-08-2015, 01:03 PM

I didn't much like my Bride either, Jenny. I don't think any of us liked our Brides. But that fabric you used in Carol is fantastic and your points are perfect!
Old 10-08-2015, 05:12 PM

klgreene, the kitchen is always the center... last to pack and first to unpack, it seems. Good luck eating up what you have! :-) It seems good when you save it, but if you don't feel like eating it, you wish you had saved something else...
Nearly there? Then welcome home to NY! :-)
Old 10-08-2015, 05:31 PM

Jennie, Love your Carol,,to me it's an oooh la la block! Great job on piecing Bride,,better than mine..
Old 10-12-2015, 12:26 PM

Here's my Bride. I cut the blue diamonds and was going to use the brown rose fabric-- but when I laid out the cut pieces I didn't like it. So I changed to the beige leaf and neutral brown. I was trying to make it look like a basket of flowers-- like the baskets they use for May Day to hang on your door. But my husband said it looked like an ice cream cone! :-p Then he turned it sideways and said it looked like a chicken with a big brown beak. Ok, so then since I had the other brown rose fabric pieces already cut, I decided to make another block. I added brown in the diamonds to make it look less like an ice cream cone... but then I had too many seams in the center, they were too thick, and I did a terrible job on matching the points. I guess I don't like either one of them, but it is as it is. :-)
Attached Thumbnails bride2.jpg   bridea2.jpg  
Old 10-12-2015, 01:15 PM

No quilt police on this journey; if the quilter is satisfied, the block is a 'go'. As I say about mine, they are done and my quilt will be humble, I know!. Personally I like your blocks..both show character and are 'showy'. Love the colors in both. Men do see colors different from us...and think differently too I have found with my quilting, at least. My thoughts. which may not be worth two cents. LOL!
Old 10-12-2015, 04:38 PM

Givio, I like both of them!! after it's been quilted the little mismatches won't be seen...
Old 10-12-2015, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, girls. :-) I'm not a perfectionist, and sometimes just enjoy 'having it done.'

I'm feeling a bit behind this week as Tuesday is coming up quick and I haven't finished my 2 weekly blocks yet. I like having the goal though. I'm still sewing on the little baby quilt for my new granddaughter and hope to have it finished this week.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by givio View Post
klgreene, the kitchen is always the center... last to pack and first to unpack, it seems. Good luck eating up what you have! :-) It seems good when you save it, but if you don't feel like eating it, you wish you had saved something else...
Nearly there? Then welcome home to NY! :-)
I think when I get to the new place, I'll just let my sister set up the kitchen while I set up the sewing room. I'm having withdrawals, and we are eating out way to much. I'll need to go on a massive diet by the time I get there.