Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 8 Clover Blossom & Colt's Corral Photo Page >

The FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 8 Clover Blossom & Colt's Corral Photo Page

The FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 8 Clover Blossom & Colt's Corral Photo Page

Old 04-29-2012, 09:31 AM

Nothing is better than fresh chicken eggs. I agree, store bought eggs just don't match up to the flavor and color!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

JeanieG ... too funny that we posted at the same time last night! Good thing we had the same info!

OKSGlad ... don't let my chicken knowledge confuse you! We had a neighbour that on his retirement, he turned his attention to fancy show chickens! He always was enthusiastic about his holstein genetics and knowledge, so transferred it to the birds, and in turn, made sure we all "knew" about them. Yes, you can imagine the local dairymen and their scoffs! However, we did "visit" the birds ... and learned some from him as a result. Credit to him was that he got a 4-H club going .... gave chicks to the 4-H'ers to raise, and then achievement day was at the local fair. He was no fool .... he had the right to claim the bird back after the show season! My nieces were in the clubs ... and one managed to show her bird right thru to Grand Champion at The Royal, defeating the "true" owner. At least he had the honour to not "take" the bird back before the "big" show of the season!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:10 AM

My sister has chickens & I buy eggs from her! When I talk ta her she talks chickens & I talk quilts!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

You should make her a chicken quilt!!
... there was someone on here who had 10 yards of rooster fabric!!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:52 AM

She doesn't want any chicken decorations in her house, just chickens outside. I have a top & back ready ta sandwich & quilt for her. She's been waitin' a yr for it. It's my next UFO ta finish.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:34 PM

Yes, as I understand it, Turkeys can get "black beard" and another fatal disease from roaming with chickens. But none have been on this place for 40 years, and they have a half of an acre to roam on. We hope to have separate "hen" houses for them. The 8 ducks will have a small building, the 30 hens and 6 turkeys need roost build in theirs. Ducks are four times bigger than the turkeys right now; they arrived on Friday the 13th...April. Turkeys are high flyers, getting so they soar higher and higher. One likes to sit on top of the water 1.5 liter bottle and look through the wire at me. Ducks love broken pieces of bread in their "swimming" hole pan.

Producing organic eggs are not cost effective, but are excellent to eat with dark yellow yolks. I sold a few at a dollar a dozen, mostly gave them to friends and relatives.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

........ and then the ducks will slow down on the growth and the turkeys will surpass them!

Lots of wild turkeys flying around here now. Honestly, I hate the looks of them.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

You're right, QNS; not a money maker. DIL sells them for $1.50 and has several who want fresh eggs. Right now is flush time now that the days are longer.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:03 PM

My DSister sells hers $4 a dozen. Her kids go out in the neighborhood ta sell 'em. They are making enough ta pay for the feed. They have about 25 hens. The pluss side is that they don't have any weeds in that 1/4 acre nor have they had ta mow it. The kids love those chickens.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
My DSister sells hers $4 a dozen. Her kids go out in the neighborhood ta sell 'em. They are making enough ta pay for the feed. They have about 25 hens. The pluss side is that they don't have any weeds in that 1/4 acre nor have they had ta mow it. The kids love those chickens.
DIL was laughing the other day. 18 mo gson tackled one of the hens. She didn't know what to do, just sat there and made clucking noises!