Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 9 Children's Delight & County Fair Discussion Page >

THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 9 Children's Delight & County Fair Discussion Page

THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 9 Children's Delight & County Fair Discussion Page

Old 03-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

GGal ... hey, I try! We could have a jolly good time!
OMG with your first and only experience. One reason why a private room would be a good idea! I like my space ... and for a get away, I would feel so much better to have a room to myself. Not that I don't like to be with others, just that after being with them all day ..... it'd take a pretty special friend for me to "want" to be with them all night. And to think she didn't take her CPap machine! YIKES!!!!!!!!! So a virtual retreat may be much "safer" for you!

Vrtual Retreat? ... who's interested?

CarrieM ... Looks like a great time is in store for one and all! Smart ladies, to add an extra day. A lot of planning for you and Crystal and I hope everyone appreciates all that you do to get ready for it. Good idea to mix the card making and quilting!!!! Be sure to take all your fabrics and have your PP printouts ready and waiting. So many things to take when you go for a retreat!

DublB ... Of course, we'll all fly in just to be with you. Good for you, for going the distance to meet up with the others. What a deal at $50! Are you taking PC .... or what will you work on?

Basic Net Collage ... I got my email reply with the details.
Yeppir it's chopped up pieces under tulle. And then enhanced with machine work. I'm thinking thread painting? though it doesn't call it that. Here's a link .... http://www.lroytextileart.com/statement.html
I'm a little hesitant ... as to whether she wants greenhorns? or someone who has more of a background?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:24 PM

For those who enjoy a retreat, hope its everything you want it to be. Me, I am too dern old to sleep in a different bed other than my own at night. I might be an old grouch the next day. I, too, prefer a room to myself and my own bathroom, thank you. And not to miss Holmes on Homes on TV.

My dh little dogs got loose this morning...sad tale of woe again; no more chickens on the farm. And we will not replace then until we find the dogs new homes. Instead of protecting the hens, they finished them off. Not good. But I feel for the people in the path of the tornadoes today; they have some serious problems and more coming tonight.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:26 PM

I've never been to a retreat (or summer camp when young) but it sounds like fun. I'm with QNS though--I like sleeping in my own bed and knowing where the bathroom is in the middle of the night. QE, maybe a Virtual Retreat would be my style!
Ggal, thank you for the suggestion of a memory type quilt. Great idea and so thoughtful of you. You are so right that my mother's health problems, my sick dog, and my best friend starting chemo for ovarian cancer all crashed in on me and I guess I lumped all those things into the problems I was having with my quilt blocks. Thanks to QNS and all of you, I'm much more comfortable with my choices of fabric. Anne and QE pointed out to me that not all blocks are farm-related.
You guys are not just talented quilters but great people to hang around the campfire with!
QNS sorry about your chickens!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:20 PM

I've never been to a retreat either. I'm with QNS and Jan - I sleep really well in my bed at home and in the RV. I hate hotel rooms, they give me the creeps - hence we take the RV everywhere!

QNS - so sorry about your chickens. How awful! We had an Australian Shepherd when we had chickens, and she was just great with them.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

Well this little chick is doing a Happy Dance! (No I did not escape the clutches of evil MO puppy dog! I was safe here in Iowa. So sorry about the chickens and there's no salvaging the meat either after a raid either. )
Back to the Happy Dance, except for the HS on the Bird's Eye View center I am all caught up. Going to post 2 more soon and will post 2 more later and maybe the whole shebang before the night is over. Then I will be out of site for a while. Our annual "meet with the Banker" confessional comes up on Tuesday and I have lots to be prepare yet. So off to posting some pics, riders.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

You folks have taken me from happy to sad to laughing to ... counting my blessings!

Aren't we just the sorry bunch ... no retreats! I think we could have some fun for a virtual one.
**Tightens thinking cap*

QNSue ... Oh dear! So sorry for the demise of the chickens. The dogs are lucky to be left alive after that fiasco!!! What kind are they? so you like our Canuck-man Holmes!!

JanRN ... {{{{HUGS}}}} to you Missy! I really like GGal's suggestion to make Lemonade! Shop your stash for fabrics that have significance towards all. Even colours that are special to each. I'm sure that Patches will allow you to use his fabric!!! And if you don't have something that you want, ASK here ... and I bet one of us will have exactly what you want for a particular memory.

OKSGlad .. you're been motoring along!! CONGRATULATIONS!! Oh yes the dreaded banker annual confessionals. One part of dairy farming that I don't miss!! I can't wait to find those posts!

Tornadoes ... Just heard a bit tonight that they hit six States again today. Only one I heard them mention was Indiana. Hope you're OK GGal. I have friends from N Indiana that were wiped out years ago. This is where I was counting my blessings, knowing that no matter how bad things seem, I'm thankful to not have had to face the devastation a tornado brings. I know many who have over the years.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 PM

QuiltE---you asked about QAYG...the first one I did was called a 6-Hour Quilt by Kaye Wood (http://www.kayewood.com/item/6_Hour_...E_Book/406/c51) Since learning the "sandwich technique" I have finished most of my quilts this way by the "row" instead of building out from the middle like in the 6-hr pattern. I have tendonitis in my right elbow which when really flared up even bothers my wrist, so this is the best way for me to quilt....in little bits at a time.

I have another type of QAYG quilt started where you add sashing to connect the blocks...it is working well for the pattern I am doing because they are 24" blocks! This is the pattern (http://www.benartex.com/uploads/Imag...anillaskye.pdf). I can't find the link now of course. I will try to remember to take a picture of this one tomorrow.

I will share a picture when I finish the one I am making I just have one border left to add and binding tomorrow!

Carrie
Old 03-02-2012, 08:01 PM

We have a few at our retreats who snore...we try to put them in the same room.

How awful about the chickens! I hope you can find a good new home for the dogs.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:04 PM

I like the idea of a virtual retreat! It sounds great!
As for the retreat next weekend I'm having a hard time knowing what I want to take!! I still haven't done much on my cousins quilt. I've got to finish my DGS's Solar System quilt! Since right now I'm spending all of my quilting time making plates I will take this, & next weeks PC blocks. The March block for the Quilt Story BOM. I've got some charm packs & the Twister Tool, so I would like to play with those. I've also got a jelly roll that I'd like to play with!!! If I finish those I've only got 11 or 12 other UFOs that I can work on!!!
QNS - I'm so sorry that you lost your chickens!
Jan - I'm so sorry that you are going through all of that. I'm glad you are gonna stay with us. My prayers are with you! 3 - 5 yrs ago I went through some of that. Quilting & God got me through!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

Thanks CarrieM ... I'll look forward to seeing more as you go. I've seen some of the ones where you add the sashing to the blocks. I kind of like that ... though I have wondered if it might be hard to keep all squared up ... and the lines matching up.

DublB ... you don't even want to know about all my PhD! You had me totally intrigued about a Solar System quilt as all I thought about was the energy/solar panels!!! Then I went duhhhhhhhh!!

CarrieM and DublB ... Will there be any retreat specific projects? Or just take what you want to work on?

Last edited by QuiltE; 03-02-2012 at 08:10 PM.