Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

Old 06-05-2019, 03:30 AM

They are, but not mine. Belong to cousin Mary and neighbor, Patty Wagner. Hot day today. Hope I can keep cool.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:41 PM

We had a short trip to FL last Thursday-Monday...archery tournament. My son placed 11th (of 70) on the qualification day, but got out in the first round on elimination day. Lots of driving in a short time....17+hrs each way. I finally got time to do a little quilting this afternoon (took MIL to follow-up appt for her 2nd cataract surgery this morning). Tomorrow I should be able to finish up the quilting and get a good start on the binding of the sunflower quilt. I need it Saturday so will be cutting it close but will get it finished in time!!

Then I'll get back to sewing the FW 1930s blocks and 2nd kaleidoscope quilt top...

Bev--I have heard the term "Ender Leader Project" before...what is the concept? Maybe I can do that with the above quilts?
Old 06-05-2019, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

Leaders and Enders are little pieces you keep by your machine, to sew between the regular chain piecing you do on other quilts. Instead of cutting the thread between pieces, you just put the L&E pieces in and sew their seam, and leave that under the foot until you start your next chain piecing. Some older machines will jam up thread in the bobbin area unless you either hold the thread tails or use leaders and enders. Because my machine doesn't do that, I've never gotten in the habit of using leaders and enders.

Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville is a big advocate of L&Es... You can read more about it on her blog. She's got a couple of books about leader and ender projects, too.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

RE: L&E's Great explanation SBG. Yes they would work great for your FW blocks Carrie. I use them all the time as I have a long tail of thread everytime I cut the thread and many times I need to rethread the machine if I cut the thread too short. For my 2 novice sewers they are using a "spider" between ending seams. This little piece of folded fabric is run through the machine after a seam is sewn and is snipped off afterwards to be sewn over again leaving lots of thread ends...thus a "spider"

I'm whipped again tonight..knees have been giving me fits after I mowed lawn last week. I was able to sit and sew quite a bit today as I SID a few small shop samples, then made bindings for all of them. They are from Buttermilk Basin's Wool and Cotton patterns, a monthly group of pieced and applique wall hangings.

Thought I'd get a quilt quilted...not tonight...such is life.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:08 PM

OK, I feel your pain. My knees are giving me a lot of pain, too.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Oh E, it sure is making life miserable, isn't it? Had a good night sleep last night, but one misstep and it's pain city again.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:53 AM

Great explanation SBG. I usually have which ever other block I am making ready to make, ready to sew on. Alright, that run on sentence makes no since but I'm not sure how to do it better. Anyway I am usually able to get a second quilt done while I am focusing on the quilt I am trying to get done.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:13 PM

I made more progress on the sunflower D9P today. Binding is made, quilting is done and quilt is trimmed. Binding goes on tomorrow.

Thanks for the explanation on L&E. It is kind of what I was thinking....I use an automated thread cutter so I don't really have the issues of my thread coming out of the needle very often, but I still think it would be fun to have two quilts going at the same time especially since they are both started anyways.

I will get fabrics cut for the next 5-10 FW 1930s blocks and sew those alternating with blocks for the kaleidoscope blocks. I have all of the kaleidoscope part done...they are the "four patch posy" type. Each block will have 2 kaleidoscope squares and 2 solid squares...with sashing; alternating in the purple/teal fabrics I used for the other kaleidoscope quilt I made.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

Better day today than last night. Drugs help!

Looking forward to seeing your quilts progress, Carrie.

Elise has 11 rows of blocks done and one pair of rows sewn together. Meanwhile Avery has 2 pillowcases done and ready to start on the next 2. Work tomorrow so they get a day off! I'm sure Mom's got plans for them!

After they left early this evening I started on my neighbor's memory quilts again...need three of them done by Father's Day. Was able to get a small one made except to HS the binding on as well as a hanging sleeve. This one is a 1 x 2 brick pattern and measures 8 x 9 inches. The backing is a silky jacket fabric that was worn at this couple's wedding. Now onto the next one. I've been cutting the sleeves off first leaving the fronts and backs for bigger pieces. Used the back of a shirt for the back of one of the quilts and binding as well. Have a variety of shirts...many plaids and several denim ones as well. I'm glad I bagged coordinating shirts in large zip locks and put the sewing "orders" in the bags. Plus I have a folder to keep other papers in. Will check on what's next...have a good night
Old 06-06-2019, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

I checked and don't think I've shared the memory quilts I've been doing. Here's the first and second one...I'm using these patterns for several of them. The plaid one will lay atop a small woven rug made from the recipients brother's shirts. [ATTACH=CONFIG]613608[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]613609[/ATTACH] My neighbor is pleased with what I have done so far. I'm using poly fabric as well and one doesn't get the crispness all cotton yields. ie the pink border in the heart quilt. It is a little different working in the confines of certain fabrics both of color and design let alone fiber contents.
Attached Thumbnails dscn1004-2-.jpg   dscn1010-2-.jpg