Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

Old 11-30-2016, 05:27 PM

The QAYG method I tried was like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_b9...ufiU7jAzBjlt7K

It's a long boring thing to watch all of what she says in the multiple videos. There is only a short portion addressing what to do with batting that is not the fusible type. I did what she said, and had horrible results.

I think this method would only work good with batting that can be ironed very flat, and probably only with the fusible batting like she used for any good results. But, I felt, what is the good of batting if you are going to flatten it? I didn't want to iron mine flat into a piece of felt, and that was my mistake.

Quilting my center panel went very well. Then I tried to attach one side (my top was in 3 pieces), and the puffiness of the center made it so that the seams didn't match up with side top, so my points didn't match. Because the top was quilted to the back, stationary, attached to it, and the back was cut with the grain, I couldn't ease in the top anywhere, it was stuck being exactly the size of the back. I got that side quilted, but was so disappointed in how the top went together.

Then, on the other side, I decided to make sure my center was very flat, and then the top seams matched up well, but the back ended up being very puckered. I actually made darts in it to take up the extra fabric.

I thought it was very hard to control attaching something puffed up with batting and quilting to something that was ironed flat.

No sashes though! :-p
Old 11-30-2016, 08:59 PM
Power Poster

I think with any of the QAYG methods, puffy poly batting is not recommended, for the reasons you discovered. There is too much shifting. Cotton or cotton/poly like 80/20 work much better.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:10 AM

I tried quilting some table place mats, not satisfied at all. Buried them in the QR to be ripped out and tried again some day. Dh did a good job on his that he tried...and also a small quilt or two turned out great.

Yes, I am doing the black binding on the trelllis quilt...very slowly..

Have a great day everyone. It's chilly here this week. Great news that Dolly Parton Foundation is helping the displaced people that are without homes now. Wish other 'billionaires' would give to the cause.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

QNS, maybe you should be the piecer and let your hubby be the quilter! If he can do placemats, he can do big blocks for QAYG. The joining isn't that big a deal.

I quilted my blocks with a walking foot. I do much better with a walking foot than trying to do FMQ. FMQ without any kind of stitch regulator is really hard to get looking nice.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:32 PM

No, It was 100% cotton...
Old 12-01-2016, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by givio View Post
No, It was 100% cotton...
Oh, I'm sorry... I thought I read polyester. Whenever I use cotton the fabric really sticks to it well. For 12" blocks I probably wouldn't use more than one pin.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

I was supposed to do my last Christmas craft fair of the season on Saturday, setting up tomorrow... but the forecast is for RAIN... like 100% chance. It's going to be really cold, windy, and raining, and I had an outside spot for my tent with no sides. No. Thank. You. I'll stay home and sew in my warm dry house instead, and consider it $100 well spent!
Old 12-01-2016, 07:46 PM

Oh, dear! You paid $100 for your spot? That's a discouraging loss...
Old 12-02-2016, 07:39 AM

SBG, sorry about the weather and losing the fee, but your health is more important! Better to be safe than sorry.

I did get lesson two from Bonnie Hunter on face book. So it goes into the file for 'later'.Now to continue progress in the QR.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I lost the $100... and whatever sales I would have had beyond that. I usually do around $300 or $400. I wish they would just postpone the whole thing to the following weekend. It's 100% chance of rain, for heaven's sake!