Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

Old 09-14-2016, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
Sewbiz, 3.5" centers, 9 patch of 1.5" squares, strip set of 1.5" x 3.5" ?
You nailed it! These are just one of the two blocks in the quilt. The other one has 4 hourglasses where the rail fences are, and blue centers. You can see it in the photo from the book.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:52 PM

There are alot of thrift shops here and I'm going to check them out for shirts..I've taken apart some already...

The roads here in Carolina Shores, NC are flooding..water is creeping up towards the house in the backyard...

Last edited by Honchey; 09-14-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
There are alot of thrift shops here and I'm going to check them out for shirts..I've taken apart some already...

The roads here in Carolina Shores, NC are flooding..water is creeping up towards the house in the backyard...
Oh no... I hope it doesn't reach it. Stay safe!

Here are some other quilts I've made from shirts in the past:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558267[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558268[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558270[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558271[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558273[/ATTACH]

An armload of shirts goes a long way!
Attached Thumbnails seths-quilt-002-small-.jpg   smoky-mtn-stars-003-small-.jpg   dsc02304-small-.jpg   dsc02463-small-.jpg   dsc01942-small-.jpg  

Old 09-14-2016, 06:17 PM

SBG, those are lovely quilts and all are finished so nicely. Sigh. That is what I would love to do. Finish UFOs.

Honchey, stay safe. I have witnessed more rising water than I want to remember..."How high is the water, Mama?' Johnny Cash sang on his recorded song... which we sang as the water rose higher and higher.

May tomorrow be a better day for all. Good night.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:24 PM

I'd like to do that mountain pattern sometime. And I like the star one too. Nice job! The plaid quilts always look so manly. :-) My husband told me that men wear plaid shirts and women wear flowered blouses, so I never buy a plaid shirt for myself anymore. lol
After the pattern cutting, fussy cutting, tricky patterns, and little blocks of the FWS, I thought your idea looked fun. Something easy to cut, easy to sew, easy to measure... the sort of sewing that you can do while you are daydreaming, and then you look and see that you have a whole pile done and there aren't any mistakes to seam rip out...
SBG, is there some type of quick idea for sewing the triangles? I understand the quick way for sewing strips, then cutting the units for the corner 9-patches and the rail squares. I've got more than 100 of the 9-patches sewn. I thought I'd sew a star block to see how it looked. I guess I ought to think ahead for how I'm ironing, so the star block will nest with the rails block. Which way are you ironing the seams?
As you can see from my previous question about the finished size, I don't like doing math. Anne quickly figured the sizes of the pieces, and would have divided and multiplied to find out how many 9" blocks made how many inches to know the quilt size... I don't know how many WOF strips to cut and am too lazy to figure it out. My back got tired, so I quit cutting. Will try to cut some more tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails carolina-crossroad-1.jpg   carolina-crossroad-2.jpg   carolina-crossroad-3.jpg  

Last edited by givio; 09-14-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:24 PM
Power Poster

Two of those photos showed only tops, but the quilts did get finished. Some had scrappy pieced borders added. The one with the skewed stars is the one I cuddle up under on the couch every night.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

Givio, your fabrics are beautiful! That is going to be a gorgeous quilt.

A quick way to do triangles... ? The instructions I'm following have you cut bigger squares and then cut them diagonally, twice and sew the quarter square triangles back together. If you have a triangle tool (small ruler) that you can cut with, you might get it a lot more accurate than the 'cut diagonally twice' method. That's usually the case for me.

I haven't worked on my quilt today and haven't yet started the hourglass units. Yours look wonderful!
Old 09-14-2016, 06:32 PM

Yeah, that's what I did. I cut 4 1/4" strips, then into squares, then cut the square twice diagonally. Seemed like there might be some clever solution in the book for a quicker method. Ah, well. Let's forge ahead! :-p
Old 09-14-2016, 06:51 PM

We are back in Brady but I have been sick for several days. I am finally getting better. It was just asthma at first but it developed into a deeper cough. Once we got back into Brady I started back on my Singular. I usually don't take it in the summer. Actually I usually don't have to start back on it till Oct. I guess this year the cedar are blooming earlier. I do know that I got much worse on Monday when we stopped in Stirling City on the way back here to Brady. There is a lotta cedar in Stirling City. I also started taking Musinex D. That helped a lot. My cough is much less frequent & not near as deep today.
I want to say that I sure love seeing what ya'll are making & checking out what everyone is up to.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

Hope you feel better soon Bev... Fall seems to have its own pollens and allergens in the air. Do you do breathing exercises?

Nina Sue, I have a package ready to pop in the mailbox for you tomorrow... Can't wait to see what you have sent me! Scraps are better than Christmas gifts.

'Night, all.