Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 04-12-2015, 05:25 AM

I have ordered from Henry Field our replacement for thornless dew berries, and four cherry trees...dwarf size, from two to four feet high. Stellar and North Star. So much wind here it is hard to get the trees started off without the wind bending them. A wind generator on the top of the hill here should work well. Need new Gooseberry vines too. Need to check with Stark Brothers nursery in Louisiana, Mo.

DH split some plants with the neighbor lady, and I dug up red tulips for her and gave her a good pair of gardening gloves from Home Depot. As an RN, she watches her hands carefully taking good care of them, but looks the outdoors and gardening work..she is also learning how to quilt. McCall's latest quilting magazine has an ad in it for Laura Aaron Hird's new book.

I finihsed the borders on California Gold, so with a good final press, its ready to be quilted. On to the blue nine patch, and finish the borders on it....as the week progresses. May it be a good one for everyone.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:41 AM

Finally finished my medallion quilt. Last year CarrieM hosted a BOM for Carol Doaks' 50 Fab Paper Pieced Stars. I got all 50 12" blocks done and realized if I made a quilt with them all it would be the size of Delaware. So I've made table runners & toppers, bed runners and a wall hanging. This is a wall hanging for me. I still have about 8 stars left to make something else. I wish the quilting showed up better in this pic--I think I went overboard but it's still about 1/3 the amount of quilting I see on some of the quilts on QB. I think I've gotten to maybe Third Grade in the FMQ class--I have a long way to go. [ATTACH=CONFIG]516669[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails medallion.jpg  
Old 04-12-2015, 10:18 AM

Love it JanRN. You knocked it out of the park!
Old 04-12-2015, 02:46 PM

DH & I found some shade wildflower seed taday. We bought 5 bags as most o' my beds are in the shade. Then we had ta prep the beds & scatter 'em. They are covered in a mulch so as ta stay wet. We planted 2 beds out back & 3 out front. I hope they do as well as the ones that I planted last fall that are spring wildflowers. Some o' those are along the wall that divides my house from our neighbor's. The others are in the horse shoe shape area by the circle drive. Those are bloomin' profusely.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:04 AM

An inch or more of rain last night...we needed it. Good luck with your wild flowers, Dublb.

Off tot he QR today. Have a good one.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:35 PM

Thank you for the compliment QNS. What a busy planting season you have ahead of you. MrJan worked on the yard today, raking and feeding it. This will be the first time ever that we don't have a dog for "instant fertilizer".
Old 04-13-2015, 04:51 PM

It rained last night & it's supposed ta rain tanight! YIPPY!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:40 PM

Ordered the Gooseberry plants and two peach trees. That completes the orchard for this year. Gooseberries are regional, I think. Texas kids did not know what they were, and Jerry took a can of it to school and they still did not believe it. Love Gooseberry pie. Dh loves peaches. Our peach trees have not survived in the orchard, so we try again.

Made up the border for the nine patch blue top. Pt a small strip of dark blue to frame it, and then split the nine patch across and up and down to do the border. And add a blue strip to the outside. Ripped the TW blocks apart to redo them. Outside work tomorrow. Have to pull weeds out of flower beds and get the bed ready for the berries....decide where the trees will be going in the orchard.

Dublb, I share the rain joy...it has been so dry here, its a welcome change. JanRN, no dog here either...just ten cats.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:41 PM

Our tomatoes are lookin' great. I am so glad that we planted 'em before Easter as we did cool way down, but it didn't freeze! We added a few Marygolds this weekend between the tomatoes ta hopefully keep the bugs away.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:26 AM

Our bugs in CC ate the Marigolds! Hope you have better luck, Dublb. Weeding out my RR tie flower garden. Grass took over last year when I did not get out to weed it. Oh, dear the grass in that bed. It will take me all summer to get it cleaned out thoroughly and win the battle! Gotta go help dh get the sprayer together and mixed up. tater.