Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 05-23-2016, 03:44 AM

Praying for all and their families...

Did you see this? http://thefarmerswifequilt.blogspot.com (picture of Laurie's new quilt)
Old 05-23-2016, 04:05 AM

It was in my email this morning; interesting. Another one with six inch blocks. Maybe someone can suggest a different book this time.... with larger squares. Like Honchey said, not sure about an another one in Hird series.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

The Bible Quilt is pretty.... The setting gave me an idea for my 30's quilt. I've been thinking I may not want to set my blocks on point. For the Bible quilt, she set the blocks straight with an alternating hourglass block, which gives the impression of an on-point setting without being on-point. Much easier.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:53 AM

We need something a little more invigorating..Laurie makes pretty quilts but I'm tiring of the same ole , same ole.. and she doesn't even visit us..
Old 05-23-2016, 08:18 AM

Sewbiz, I just put together my first Mountain block...it can be confusing if you're not looking at the photo of it...

Sorry Ladies, I didn't mean to sound like sour grapes but I think 3 of anything is enough..We need to come up with some different ideas...Maybe not so large a project or as long..
Old 05-23-2016, 08:29 AM

I agree, Anne--I only did this third one to hang around with yinz. How about a wall hanging or a mini? I certainly don't need any large quilts or long-term projects (I'm getting so old I'm afraid to commit to anything really long term LOL). I have lots of small paperpiecing blocks I've been saving or maybe we want to try another technique as long as it isn't applique.

Question about quilting a sampler like FWS: I did QAYG on my other 2 and each block is quilted individually with it's own design. I didn't do that with this one; I'm sewing it in rows already. When the blocks are this size do you just do an all-over design or should they still be done one by one? That is so many starts and stops so I was thinking some kind of over-all swirl--what do yinz think?
Old 05-23-2016, 10:17 AM

My first Laura Aaron Hird book was quilted in DM and individual blocks were quilted for more detail; PC quilt is at the same place in DM. This one is fpr family heirloom, so it cal be quilted all over with one design. Most of my 'useful' quilts are not for show, just to enjoy their usage. So I go for the simple as possible, with less cost to LA the quilt. You can do you own, JanRN, so it ahs to please you for the purpose you want it to do.

I have told me kids, you have to pay the LA if you want a quilt...I cannot 'gift' them any more with added expenses of making it. I have a full bucket of projects and UFOs to do, but to stay with the group I will consider what you'all want to do.

Trying to change sewing machines without breaking the budget... need the LED lights to see better and a simple machine threader that I can easily use. Have a lline on a good buy... will see what happens this week.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:37 AM

QNS - check out these strips of LED lights on Bonnie Hunter's Blog. Maybe save you some bucks instead of buying a new machine! But maybe a new machine would be fun! I really like the threader and the thread cutter on my Brother 1500S. My Babylock does not have the thread cutter and I miss it when I use it.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/search?q=led+lights
Old 05-23-2016, 12:00 PM

OH I would looove to do a table runner w/ya'll! Something so that I don't feel guilty about not finishing my PC. LOL
Old 05-23-2016, 01:27 PM

Jeanie, thanks for the suggestions. I was talking to the Elena folks, good buys there right now during Iowa Expo Quilt Show in DM, but decided too much money for right now. I am just going to fix up the little Bernina 1530 and go from there. Sounds like I need to check out the LED lights with Bonnie Hunter. This Body keeps getting older every day; I will enjoy each day as it comes and goes, one step at a time