Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along  Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page >

The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

Old 05-15-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
I have a question about layout. Almost all of the pics I've looked at are set "on point". This scares me!! I've never done anything on point. I saw a couple that were set with straight rows, still using cornerstones and sashing. Do you think this would look weird? Of course, it will look like someone did this that's afraid of on point. My blocks are on my design wall straight across and I think they look good. Please give me your HONEST opinion--this has been so much work that I don't want to ruin it at this stage. I practiced setting some on point and get really confused (I am so spatially challenged!) plus I don't know how I'd fit them on my machine when trying to sew rows together (I'm doing QAYG). Sorry this is such a long post but I value your opinions and advice--thanks!
Peace-Jan
Jan, I think the quilt will be beautiful no matter which way you put it together. I think it is a personal preference on how you set the rows. In the Pony Club quilt, she set them in rows, not on the diagonal! Go for it!
Old 05-15-2011, 08:56 AM

I have a question about layout. Almost all of the pics I've looked at are set "on point". This scares me!! I've never done anything on point. I saw a couple that were set with straight rows, still using cornerstones and sashing. Do you think this would look weird? Of course, it will look like someone did this that's afraid of on point. My blocks are on my design wall straight across and I think they look good. Please give me your HONEST opinion--this has been so much work that I don't want to ruin it at this stage. I practiced setting some on point and get really confused (I am so spatially challenged!) plus I don't know how I'd fit them on my machine when trying to sew rows together (I'm doing QAYG). Sorry this is such a long post but I value your opinions and advice--thanks!
Peace-Jan
Jan, I think the quilt will be beautiful no matter which way you put it together. I think it is a personal preference on how you set the rows. In the Pony Club quilt, she set them in rows, not on the diagonal! Go for it!
Old 05-15-2011, 01:52 PM

Hey Jeanie, how's the vacation going? Hope you're getting lots of sunshine where you are (we're thinking about building an ark around here LOL).
Thanks for the input. I looked at so many pics and only a couple were set straight across; I like them but I'm so insecure!! I still have a ways to go before I have to make up my mind but I really appreciate your thoughts.
I'm anxious to see the Pony Club book; I think I read it comes out in June. Next group project?????
Old 05-15-2011, 06:54 PM

Jan, I think you do it anyway your heart desires. If you're not ready to tackle on point yet, then don't. I've done it a couple of times. It's kinda easy, kinda puzzling. If you had someone help you who has done it before that would work. Again, the layout is your decision...it's your quilt!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:55 PM

JanRN I too, haven't decided to set on point or in rows. I have a UFO on point and I think it is hard. Looks really pretty, gives you a great opportunity to quilt the triangles with a special quilting pattern. Are you individually quilting the blocks or going to do an overall pattern?
Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 PM

Hey Jeanie, how's the vacation going? Hope you're getting lots of sunshine where you are (we're thinking about building an ark around here LOL).
Thanks for the input. I looked at so many pics and only a couple were set straight across; I like them but I'm so insecure!! I still have a ways to go before I have to make up my mind but I really appreciate your thoughts.
I'm anxious to see the Pony Club book; I think I read it comes out in June. Next group project?????
We are at Whidbey Island, WA visiting friends until June 1st, then to Toppenish, WA for a grandson's graduation. After that home for our twin grandchildren's graduation.

Yes, I think the Pony Club Quilt would be fun. Eight inch blocks sound so much easier than the 6 1/2".
Old 05-16-2011, 04:46 AM

Sounds like you're having a great time Jeanie.

Violet, I'm quilting each little block individually without the sashing. They are so much fun to quilt. I started out as a hand quilter and like the look of individually quilted blocks as opposed to an all over design (esp with small blocks). I just have to remember to leave a 1/4" seam allowance unquilted so I can attach the sashing in time.

I can't believe how far we've come!! We're talking about quilting and sashing and layouts--wow.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:50 AM

Sounds like you're having a great time Jeanie.

Violet, I'm quilting each little block individually without the sashing. They are so much fun to quilt. I started out as a hand quilter and like the look of individually quilted blocks as opposed to an all over design (esp with small blocks). I just have to remember to leave a 1/4" seam allowance unquilted so I can attach the sashing in time.

I can't believe how far we've come!! We're talking about quilting and sashing and layouts--wow.
That is what I have been doing also. I love looking at the pieced block and then deciding how to quilt it. Some I have followed the lines and others tried to make it unique. I haven't decided what to quilt in the sashing, wavy lines, cross-hatch, etc.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:39 AM

as far as quilting goes, im going to hand quilt mine, probably going to go for the good old fashioned double shadow stitch.
I bought a BUNCH of different colors of hand quilting thread, I think I will use different colors for each block. :D

Jan
if you do decide to do "on point" just make sure you have somewhere to lay it all out for assembly, it sure helps with any confusion, the book also has great pictures for assembly.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:48 PM

I am so glad this discussion page is on-going. I am still at a loss as to what to use for sashing -- none of the colors auditioned so far seem to "make" the quilt. And I am also having doubts about the on-point setting. But, I won't worry about that until I figure out what sashing to use! On the other hand, I could start quilting the blocks individually and add the sashing later. :) Thanks for all the ideas coming through!