Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along Completed Quilt/Top  Photo/Discussion Page >

The FWS Quilt-Along Completed Quilt/Top Photo/Discussion Page

The FWS Quilt-Along Completed Quilt/Top Photo/Discussion Page

Old 03-29-2012, 08:19 AM

I am thinking along the same lines with the sashing, my carpet is a grey-tan color. I hadn't thought about the CS, but purple sounds like a good place to start! A question-what kind of fabric would have been used to compliment the block fabrics which are mostly civil war prints? A solid like Kona cottons? N.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:04 AM

Thanks for sharing your great bocks jillnjo, wonderful colors! There is really no rush to finish, you just do what you can and you will get there. It took us over a year to complete all our blocks.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:59 AM

I will probably take more time than I imagine! It always goes that way!

Last edited by jillnjo; 03-29-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:47 PM

I got an E-mail that someone had posted here, so I jumped over & was so pleased ta see your lovely blocks. Keep going, you're going great!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

Absolutely beautiful, JillNJo! ITA the carpet looks like a perfect sashing. Before I read OKSGlad's purple cornerstone suggestion (which I like), I was wondering about no cornerstone. Anothe thought would be a light grey (that's how I see the carpet) with the cornerstone a darker shade to let it blend in a little more. You've got a really nice light and soft look going. Here's to the home stretch for you!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 PM

Weezie, your quilt is awesome.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jillnjo View Post
I am thinking along the same lines with the sashing, my carpet is a grey-tan color. I hadn't thought about the CS, but purple sounds like a good place to start! A question-what kind of fabric would have been used to compliment the block fabrics which are mostly civil war prints? A solid like Kona cottons? N.
Not sure about all Kona cottons, but are they color based with a whiter tint rather than tan or gray? CW prints tend to have a tan or gray cast to them. Do you understand what I mean?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

Thanks OKSGlad ... I can never remember the "right" words ... tint, shade, tone ... and probably more!
Old 03-30-2012, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Not sure about all Kona cottons, but are they color based with a whiter tint rather than tan or gray? CW prints tend to have a tan or gray cast to them. Do you understand what I mean?
Yes, I do understand, and it makes sense. I have a LQS that specializes in CW and I'm sure she would help me. Oh, the many options can get your head spinning! I have a leaning toward grey and was adding the yellow as I went along, thinking that it would compliment grey if I used it. My mother made the most beautiful grey and yellow quilt I have always loved! It looks totally old-fashioned! You all are helping me, thanks.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jillnjo View Post
Yes, I do understand, and it makes sense. I have a LQS that specializes in CW and I'm sure she would help me. Oh, the many options can get your head spinning! I have a leaning toward grey and was adding the yellow as I went along, thinking that it would compliment grey if I used it. My mother made the most beautiful grey and yellow quilt I have always loved! It looks totally old-fashioned! You all are helping me, thanks.
Pack up those blocks and take them ALL for a little trip to your LQS to audition with the fabrics.
Grey sashing with yellow cornerstones could be totally perfect ... and would be such a nice link to your Mom's quilt of the past that you already know you are in love with!