Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for 50 Completed Blocks >

The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for 50 Completed Blocks

The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for 50 Completed Blocks

Old 01-29-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
Sewcornie thanks for taking a pic of a completed FWS--can't wait to see it.

I'm still a long ways off, but could you all give me a "guess" as to how much fabric will be needed for the sashing? I know it will be just an estimate, but I'm going to a quilt expo in March and possibly (keep your fingers crossed!!) to Lancaster, PA in April. Since I haven't bought any (NONE!!) fabric for my FWS blocks, I don't care about the expense of the sashing. I'm not positive even what color but I think these two trips will help me decide. So if someone can give me a guess, I'd appreciate it and keep posting those color suggestions!
Peace-Jan
In our book FWS, starting on page 245, it gives the yardage required for the various size quilts.

:thumbup:
Old 01-29-2011, 10:07 AM

Oops. Thank you Jeanie. I should have thought of that but I guess that would have been too logical LOL.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 PM

I've not yet received the email with the picture of the FWSQ I saw at the quilt show. But I looked up the quilt guild's website and it's pictured right there on the home page. This is the 2011 raffle quilt for the Marys River Quilt Guild and it's amazingly stunning! Take a careful look. The blocks are double sashed, first with cream surrounding each block, then with dark brown between the blocks. No cornerstones were used. The quilt contains all 111 blocks. The center medallion and applique done in the border are all original designs by someone in the guild. Sure stretches my imagination of potential layout designs. ENJOY!!

http://marysriverquiltguild.org/
Old 01-29-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by sew cornie
I've not yet received the email with the picture of the FWSQ I saw at the quilt show. But I looked up the quilt guild's website and it's pictured right there on the home page. This is the 2011 raffle quilt for the Marys River Quilt Guild and it's amazingly stunning! Take a careful look. The blocks are double sashed, first with cream surrounding each block, then with dark brown between the blocks. No cornerstones were used. The quilt contains all 111 blocks. The center medallion and applique done in the border are all original designs by someone in the guild. Sure stretches my imagination of potential layout designs. ENJOY!!

Oh that is beautiful....thanks for sharing

http://marysriverquiltguild.org/
Old 01-29-2011, 10:39 PM

That raffle quilt is truly amazing! Somebody was mega-creative in designing the center medallion and border! Thank you so much for sharing it.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:18 AM

I really like the double sashing as I don't like to do cornerstones that much. The center medallion is beautiful but I think (my opinion) it takes away from the quilt itself. Anne
Old 01-30-2011, 02:59 PM

Wow! Thanks for the website-what a beauty. I agree, Anne, the center medallion is beautiful but I'd like the quilt better without it. I'm nervous about getting one set of sashing to fit--they did two!!?? Holy cow!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:33 PM

...Gives me the idea for doing a tiny 9-patch cornerstone to alternate w/the light/dark/light sashing...:)
Old 01-30-2011, 04:29 PM

Hi janRN, When I put sashing on ANY block I always cut itat least 1/2" longer so that I can trim it up to the correct size after I sew it on. Anne
Old 01-30-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi janRN, When I put sashing on ANY block I always cut itat least 1/2" longer so that I can trim it up to the correct size after I sew it on. Anne
Thanks Anne for the helpful hint. :thumbup: