Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for 50 Completed Blocks >

The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for 50 Completed Blocks

The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for 50 Completed Blocks

Old 12-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

And here's a look at all that I have completed to date ........... 75 blocks in total, but not sequentially!

I haven't started to think as to the placement.
For now they are in order, #1 thru #9 in right hand row .... sorry it's cut off!
Attached Thumbnails fws1-50plusf.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltE; 12-02-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:45 PM

What a lovely bunch of blocks, each & every one. Ya got a good eye for color, Kiddo!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:44 PM

Wow, QE, those look great. I really, really like the green sashing. It really brings out the colors in your blocks. As I look at it, I''m thinking (always dangerous) that you might not need cornerstones. What do you think? The blocks are separated but seem to flow together. Hmmm, just a thought! Love your work.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

Fantastic, QE. Jan's idea is good w/o cornerstones, but sometime putting the cornerstones in keeps the whole quilt from getting too wonky with this small of pieceing. ( At least it would for me!) CS's in the second green might be a compromise.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for all the kind words, Ladies .... and for thinking ahead to my next question about the sashing, cornerstones, etc!

ITA with OKSGlad that there is a benefit to the cornerstones to help keep all nice and square and flat. I haven't messed with little pieces yet to audition them, but at least now I can leave it up and keep looking at it. Got another block done tonight, so now there's 76 with 35 to go!

Cornerstones .... 2nd green ... are you thinking the other more speckled on in the background? What about the light/brighter green that's the background for the block between the Corn and Beans and the Basketweave one on the right and side? I had thought before about using a cream/white with metallic gold on it.

Another question .... I noted that most have kept with the original pattern that their sashing is the same as their outside border. I haven't done full measuring, but am pretty sure I will not have enough to use it for both. What would you do? Do you think I really should keep it matched up (which means I buy new fabric)? Or do you think I could live on the edge and figure something out later?

Here's another way you can help me ..... what do you think of colours? What colours do you think I should try to get more of worked into the next blocks? Or which ones should I ease off on? I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking it's becoming too much of a jumble and I may have ruined it. So please, I need your help and advice on this!!!

Thanks, one and all ... I very much appreciate your suggestions and ideas!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 12-02-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:12 PM

Oh QuiltE those are wonderful blocks. I think I like the darker green fabric as a background rather than the lower one. I think when you get your blocks moved around where the similar colors are not next to one another, you will like it better. I think you can use whatever you want as a border, after all it is YOUR quilt. It will be spectacular whatever you choose to do!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Power Poster

Thanks JeanieG ..... Oh definitely, the mottled one is the one that will be used. The lower right spotted green was just to help fill in the space with something that's close. Yes, it's my quilt ... though I'd love some input as to what might be good for the borders? Look for a dark green print that coordinates? hhmmmm? what about that spotted green one? I bet I have enough of it for borders.

And yes, I probably will think differently of the jumble once I take time to get the blocks moved around, and colours/fabrics/designs split up. I'll start doing that now, so that I can keep spotting what needs to be moved as I do the next bunch ..... and be closer to the end, once I have the blocks all made.

Though there's still quite a way to go .... I do feel like I am on home stretch!

Last edited by QuiltE; 12-02-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:29 PM

Hi QuiltE, Your blocks are veeeeerrrrrry nice...I would add a little more of the raspberry/grapey color that's in the block next to the friendship star block on the left side...and maybe a little more red and yellow. I'm very partial to those colors. I love scrappy quilts. You've accomplished quite a bit in such a short time. Pats on the back for you!.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:47 AM

QuiltE, wow! You have really been whipping through these and your blocks are beautiful. I vote for the mottled green.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:56 PM

QE: Wow! Happy Half-Way There! I love the sashing, great color.

I never got my 50 posted. I have no design wall. The way I got 25 photographed was to go outside to the side of my garage and pin them up to a large piece of fabric!

I use the garage a lot for photographing blocks and quilts. On a overcast day it is the perfect light for taking pictures. There is not one place in my house where taking pictures turns out good because of the light (or lack thereof). It's not much of an all-weather solution and I can't keep the flannel pinned up all the time!