Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for the First  25 Completed Blocks >

The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for the First 25 Completed Blocks

The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for the First 25 Completed Blocks

Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

OMG ... I missed OKSGlad's FWS first 25 til just now!!!

.... BEEEEEEEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!

Your pinks and roses are lovely ... and do they go into a deep maroon coordinate too?

Despite what others have said ... I kind of like the non-yellow. I think your whites and pinks are doing that.
What about some other shades of mauves, particularly a clear colour. And with using so many floral tones, some greens?

Though ... with fifty cut ahead ... decisions are made, and perhaps sewn by now?

*gasp* I can't imagine cutting 50 ahead!

Again ..... Beeeeeeeeautiful ... OKSGlad!!
Old 10-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

Thanks, QE. I did get my sashing fabric. It is a soft brown with a little darker brown twisty design popped through it. Almost reads solid. Here's my fabric scan. Then a look with the pinks as cornerstones. Just playing at this point, What you see are browns, not maroons and this sashing fabric blends with every block.[ATTACH=CONFIG]370351[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]370352[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fws-border-fabric.jpg   1-25-sashes.jpg  
Old 10-16-2012, 04:04 PM

I love that!! Very cool!!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Thanks, QE. I did get my sashing fabric. It is a soft brown with a little darker brown twisty design popped through it. Almost reads solid. Here's my fabric scan. Then a look with the pinks as cornerstones. Just playing at this point, What you see are browns, not maroons and this sashing fabric blends with every block.
Ooooooooooohhhhh ... that's going to be beautiful!!!
It reeeeeeeally is!!

OKSGlad
... for your Civil War Fabrics ... what does the selvedge have on it? I "think" I found them at one of my favourite Mennonite General Stores on Saturday. The best part was they were only $7.99/yard (or metre?). I didn't pay much attention at the time, and then after I left, I started to wonder!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Power Poster

Thank QNS and QE. My collection of CW is so odd ball. I did a CW swap with another board member with 10" sizes, another with 5" charms, and yet another purchase with several FQ's. So really no info on the selvage. But over time I have narrowed the sources to Nancy Gere, Barbara Brackman, Terry Clothier Thompson, Jo Morton, Judie Rothermel, to name a few. Once in a while you will find information on the selvage ie circa 1850-1870. American Civil War started in 1861 and ended in 1865. Many of the designers stretch that period from the Antebellum (prewar) through Reconstruction (postwar) to fit in that 1850-1870 time frame. Shirtings (white or cream colored backgrounds with little color designs) are generally considered post 1870.
I was given a gift certificate to a LQS a long time ago and chose a book on fabric dating. It has been so informative and then I follow Barbara Brackman's blogs. She has an exceptional grasp on history and what fabrics were produced when.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

Thank QNS and QE. My collection of CW is so odd ball. I did a CW swap with another board member with 10" sizes, another with 5" charms, and yet another purchase with several FQ's. So really no info on the selvage. But over time I have narrowed the sources to Nancy Gere, Barbara Brackman, Terry Clothier Thompson, Jo Morton, Judie Rothermel, to name a few. Once in a while you will find information on the selvage ie circa 1850-1870. American Civil War started in 1861 and ended in 1865. Many of the designers stretch that period from the Antebellum (prewar) through Reconstruction (postwar) to fit in that 1850-1870 time frame. Shirtings (white or cream colored backgrounds with little color designs) are generally considered post 1870.
I was given a gift certificate to a LQS a long time ago and chose a book on fabric dating. It has been so informative and then I follow Barbara Brackman's blogs. She has an exceptional grasp on history and what fabrics were produced when.

The fabric had something about a Museum on it ... and I think it was Wyndham Fabrics ... maybe some years quoted too. It had a LOT of words, which caught my attention, as I'm sure it was far more than I've ever seen on a selvedge before. When I'm back that way, I'll have to take a closer look ............ not that I need MORE fabric?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

How about Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum Collection by Judie Rothermel? From my web searches, this fabric is 1880 reproduction not Civil War. Be that as it may, I have used some in my FWS not knowing these were not CW reproductions. I think that there has been so many "reproduction" fabrics on the market recently, that shop owners/retailers get confused of the time lines involved.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

How about Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum Collection by Judie Rothermel? From my web searches, this fabric is 1880 reproduction not Civil War. Be that as it may, I have used some in my FWS not knowing these were not CW reproductions. I think that there has been so many "reproduction" fabrics on the market recently, that shop owners/retailers get confused of the time lines involved.
I wasn't talking to the Ladies in the store, so the only confusion was self-induced! You see I've never paid any attention to fabric lines, designers, and selvedge edges etc. til I came to the QB ... and I obviously didn't pay enough attention to this one! I know for sure it wasn't Rocky Mountain ... as with our Rockies it would have rung a bell in my pea brain for sure!! What did stick was Wyndham Fabrics , as we have a Wyndham Street here.

Of course, if I'd only done a few googles (too obvious, I guess!) ........ so I guess Wyndham was really Windham ...
http://www.windhamfabrics.net/cgi-bi...op/gallery.cgi

And looks like the stuff probably was the real Cat's Meowwwwww

Curious?? ... what would you normally pay for the fabric?

Most here is about $16 (per metre, not yard) and in Menno shops, maybe $13-$14 .... but when you see $7.99 ... you suspect it is a "cheap" fabric (or it's been hugely marked down). And I think that's why I didn't pay much attention as I know this store often has super cheap flimsy cottons that I don't want ... and not so much LQS quality.

**mumbles to self**
**not that I need more fabric!**

Should I check it out when I next pass by?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:06 AM

OKSGlad, your soon-to-be quilt is looking lovely! I really like the brown sashing with the pink cornerstones. Very elegant.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

~~~~
waves to Evie!!!!!! How are you M'am!
~~~~

You're SO right, Evie ... elegant it is!

OKSGlad ... There's something about on-point that speaks elegant to me. So are you?