Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Judy's 3rd MYSTERY QUILT train ride

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Judy for the help! I'll go buy the EF fabrics. (With help from the LQS, that is!) Thanks!!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Ok I am using the first selection and no swap outs as that pink in the other pics is actually more flesh tone and no way would work. I will see how fast we need fabric F and if there is time and funds buy a white on white f to switch out the light purple F. the rest stay. I fell in love with the yellow, pink mint and purple? posted and well that is as close to that as I can get.. that one has easter written all over it and I love easter things (I AM ONE MASSIVE HOLIDAY BUG)
    ok the recipe for sauteed zuccinni and pasta yum end the meal with pineapple zuccinni bread and I just might kill that big zuccinni. the trick will be to NOT give any to the man who grows these. He probably has more. thanks for the recipes I can tell this is onehappy train ride. oh and never had cauiliflower soup is it creamed like asparagus or broccoli soup is? (thats how I make them lol).. with cheese? oh I wonder if there are no calories can these meals not have phosphorus or potassium or sodium either? (ok can they be there in mass but not count?) and can we have lots of dark green veggies and oh oh oh potatos or winter squash. You see in the real world I cant have those things but maybe here I can? let me know so I can get my forks and knives ready, plate on lap ready for this ride for sure.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
    wow, Jenniky was watching for you from the observation car....when I saw the cloud of sand and dust and the wild horse I knew it must be you...opened the boxcar door and you jumped right in ! so open those saddle bags and let us see the fabric !
    Thanks for opening the boxcar door for me Sunliten. Soon as I wash off the trial dust and my camera battery recharges I will show you all the fabric in my saddle bags I've selected. Now where is the chocolate cake?
    Have an awesome day!

Judy,

These are my choices. Not sure which should be which. The dark red fabric in back isn't part of the group. Any help you can give would be appreciated. Oh, one other question, is there a fabric that will be the more focal fabric in the quilt?

Name:  29793_10151127746728358_2104296220_n.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  66.8 KB
    Last edited by Sauki1; 10-18-2012 at 06:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    Im pulling out my favorite blue fabrics again. I only have a yard of E and F. A-C I have two yards and D I am going to have to make a shopping expedition for.. since I dont have any other blue fabrics which work with the silvers through the BCEF fabrics.

Name:  063 (2).JPG
Views: 508
Size:  1.32 MB
    I have a wedding to attend to in December and I thought this would be a great way to make the gift. Her wedding colors are Silver and Blues. So would love some help making some of these fabrics work. I would definitely like either B or C to be in the project. Im really Keen on fabric F also but have to make do with the yard I have because I have not had any luck finding more of this fabric.

When I go shopping for the solid blue I was wanting to find a deep navy blue Im thinking but not sure if that is a good idea or stay with the medium blue I have laid out. HMmm.. Thoughts ..comments.. or are these fabrics all wrong for this project Judy and should I pull out my western Paisley's in rustic browns and earthy greens. Maybe a bit of yellow for sunshine.. Help

I have absolutely no fabric to pick from as you can see by the pictures of my very small fabric collection (tongue in cheek) and yes I know many of you have much larger compared to mine... LOL

Name:  064.JPG
Views: 490
Size:  138.7 KB Name:  066.JPG
Views: 473
Size:  123.7 KB Name:  065.JPG
Views: 475
Size:  140.8 KB

Actually its all the fabric precut into squares and scraps that makes me think I really need to get hip with some scrappy projects some time... LOL

Speaking of scraps, Im sewing some scrappy nine patches today that I believe are going to turn into a Halloween wall hanging.. so I best get to work. So good to be back busy at the machine.

ttyl Ladies..

Have a great day.
    Have an awesome day!

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    Elisabrat glad you picked #1 love those colors. Jenniky, blues are very nice, I'm thinking like you I'd go with a dark blue for the D to bring out some of it in the other fabric. Think it would give it that punch! Just an opinion. Glad you're back at the sewing machine....

Good morning, all.

Elisabrat - you won't need your E nd F fabrics until clue 5

Sauki - as you had read in previous comments, you need contrast and not a lot of similar backgrounds (i.e. your white background fabricss) And also we know that the E and F fabrics will draw the eye into the quilt and should have good contrast between the two and with the other fabrics. That said, and I apologize if I was too brutal - please try again as I feel your greens are too similar in tone and nothing will stand out in your quilt.

Jennify - those are beautiful blues! May I suggest on the C-D that C is darker than D as mentioned before, so when you shop for a new D please reconsider not shopping for a navy because I think it will betract from the beautiy of your blue prints. Keep your favorite F and maybe when you are shopping, a new E with a bit more contrast to the F will pop out at you. If not, your E will work.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Blog Entries
    Thanks Judy for you input.. I will head out shopping tomorrow..
    Have an awesome day!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
    Thanks Judy for you input.. I will head out shopping tomorrow..

Blog Entries

the quilts from the sewing bee (where I was yesterday) are posted on the intro site, if anyone wants to see them.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...02756-new.html

now to search through the stash again...I have a new idea, will see if the fabrics co-operate.

Blog Entries
    SunlitenSmiles, Those quilts are awesome. Thanks for sharing.
    Carolyn
    http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/islandwiz1/Boom%206%20Autumn%20Group/

Blog Entries
    I'm getting antsy now for the first cut. We should all go to the dining car and play with fabric!
    Everything important in my life, like naps, I learned from my dog.
    http://foldedspindledquilted.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post

the quilts from the sewing bee (where I was yesterday) are posted on the intro site, if anyone wants to see them.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...02756-new.html

now to search through the stash again...I have a new idea, will see if the fabrics co-operate.

Gorgeous quilts! I'm rethinking my choices, too, and will probably go to the LQS after the visit to the doctor. I'm always POed after I visit with her, so will soothe my frazzled nerves.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

My choices

I've decided to hop on board for this exciting ride, never having done a mystery quilt before. These are my fabric choices; last 3 quilts I made were PINK, so this is very different.
    Having terrible time posting pic from IPad ! Help!!
    looks like it worked but don't know how! The last fabric on the right could be an alternative for ABC or D. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by YC Quilter; 10-18-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Went to buy fabrics for this. Picked out the first fabric then spent sooo much time picking out the rest. Well wouldn't you know it, there was not enough of the first fabric to use. And they had no more. Had to redo my choices. Drats!! But now that I look at the ones I ended up with, I think I will like these better. Just hope I don't DERAIL again along the ride.

Pretty fabrics, Y C Q

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    Judy, had to let you know that I am using your pattern. Have a quick wedding gift to make, their kitchen stuff is all black and red. Okay bought them some stuff and got the pattern out from last mystery so sewing like crazy on a black, red and gray.....Nice to be able to use it again and wanted to let you know it's going much faster this time
    Thanks so much for doing this.

Blog Entries

Giggle
    just walked through the dining car............. Quilters are sharpening their rotary cutter blades

'natives are restless tonight' ............ good thing there is more than enough Dark Chocolate for all.

after a week of going though all my fabric, I have finally come up with a color combination I feel excellentName:  mystery quilt 3.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  83.3 KB about

Blog Entries
    It must be close to Halloween or just cold outside, because as I was just going to sit and jot a note to you, a "daddy long legged spider" walked across the screen. How weird!!!

Irish, you wonderful lady.
    Just tell me where you got the black with white swirls in your second photo. I love the black with the bright white. I cut my second spicy out today - it's from forest green to dark red with a couple lights fabrics in the middle. Tomorrow I will cut the stratas apart and then resew. It will be a Xmas gift for the SIL that we will stay with in Michigan.

I think I have found a new color palete. A friend agreed that it was "colorful". So will take a picture tomorrow and post.

In the new Grit magazine there is an ad for quilting. "Carry on the tradition of quilting" Haven't gone to the web site but here it is: www.Grit.com/quiltingpatterns Code: MGRPACB4 It says quilt patterns $4. Will check it out, because I know I can never have enough patterns.

Also need prayer for a dear friend who was admitted to inpatient today for deep, deep depression. Has been in a very bad place for months - wasn't going inpatient but has now decided it is best. She has an eating disorder also, so it's going to be a long, hard path for her.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the LIFE, in your years. (Abe Lincoln)

"The Best" The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. (Helen Keller)

Hope your friend gets the help she needs. Prayers for her everose

Blog Entries
    Prayers for your friend, Di. I only have 3/4 yard of the the black with the white swirls, but if you can't find it, I can share it with you and use the other b/w. It came from JoAnn's quite recently - I have been collecting b/w fabrics for a sampler. I don't think I'll be in Traverse City until the third so if you can't find it by then, I'll get some for you or cut mine, whatever. Great minds think alike. I cut out a burgundy/green Spicy Spiral today, too. I need to set up a third machine - one for FMQ the bazaar quilt, one for the Spicy Spiral and one for the mystery. I guess the SS and the mystery can share.

I'll be late to the cutting directions. There's a good quilt show in McBain Saturday. I won some FQs for a door prize last year.

I'll bring a crockpot of hot chocolate made with good chocolate. We need it here - cold and damp again.

COLD? Damp? um are you on a different train or still packing your bags? we hit 80 yesterday and will again today. Not slowing down for another four or five days. then maybe fall or maybe snow. they say snow.. we will see I suppose I would have to pack my tank tops and please save me some of that hot chocolate. It would be lovely then! I think the fabrics are all so very different. I am excited to see all the works in progress to see how one pattern can become so many different things. I am going to check out that pattern site.. I need two quilt patterns for future wedding quilts (bucket list) and two baby quilt patterns also busy beaver this next year. oh and the red/white quilt I want for me and the Christmas one and .. I guess I had better book myself now before my calendar fills up with projects (MINE). check back tomorrow to see what other jewels are posted. I could shop all your fabric choices and be very happy.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YC Quilter View Post
    I've decided to hop on board for this exciting ride, never having done a mystery quilt before. These are my fabric choices; last 3 quilts I made were PINK, so this is very different.
    Having terrible time posting pic from IPad ! Help!!
    looks like it worked but don't know how! The last fabric on the right could be an alternative for ABC or D. What do you think?
    Love your brown fabrics.. but then Im partial to brown as my favorite color..LOL
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose View Post
    It must be close to Halloween or just cold outside, because as I was just going to sit and jot a note to you, a "daddy long legged spider" walked across the screen. How weird!!!

Irish, you wonderful lady.
    Just tell me where you got the black with white swirls in your second photo. I love the black with the bright white. I cut my second spicy out today - it's from forest green to dark red with a couple lights fabrics in the middle. Tomorrow I will cut the stratas apart and then resew. It will be a Xmas gift for the SIL that we will stay with in Michigan.

I think I have found a new color palete. A friend agreed that it was "colorful". So will take a picture tomorrow and post.

In the new Grit magazine there is an ad for quilting. "Carry on the tradition of quilting" Haven't gone to the web site but here it is: www.Grit.com/quiltingpatterns Code: MGRPACB4 It says quilt patterns $4. Will check it out, because I know I can never have enough patterns.

Also need prayer for a dear friend who was admitted to inpatient today for deep, deep depression. Has been in a very bad place for months - wasn't going inpatient but has now decided it is best. She has an eating disorder also, so it's going to be a long, hard path for her.
    Look forward to seeing your fabrics Everose and I dont think we can ever have enough quilts patterns I agree. Warm wishes of a speedy recovery for your friend.
    Have an awesome day!

Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 59 ... LastLast