Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along >

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Old 01-04-2012, 07:08 PM

brookemarie19: can you post the link to that mystery BOM--I can't find it! Thanks.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Foxflower View Post
It is a really pretty quilt. Since it is so busy and I haven't started the string blocks, I think I'll just use plain triangles and squares for those. It make sense to do the string blocks if you have that many strings/small scraps to use up, but I'd just have to cut something else down anyway, including yardage. I'll save my strings for another project. Happy New Year of sewing everybody!
Foxflower ------ I thought about using stripped fabric for the string pieced blocks if I ever made it again ---- I'd get the "effect" but not have all the additional work, but it would have to be just the right stripe!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yayaquilts View Post
brookemarie19: can you post the link to that mystery BOM--I can't find it! Thanks.
Here is the thread with the link.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...a-t174345.html
Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by pjnesler View Post
Foxflower ------ I thought about using stripped fabric for the string pieced blocks if I ever made it again ---- I'd get the "effect" but not have all the additional work, but it would have to be just the right stripe!
Stripes are a good idea if you have the right ones. I'd love to see what you come up with. I have a little bit of fabric that might work well. Cutting stripes to the right angle can be a bear sometimes though.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by pjnesler View Post
This is an awesome idea! I haven't done any of the string blocks, yet.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:00 AM

Thanks sadiemea for posting the link for me. I don't know how to do that lol

I LOVE the idea of the striped fabrics! I am having a time doing the strings because they take soooo long to do them. Maybe o will try something like that next time.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:28 AM

Good morning y'all.
Regarding strings, I didn't do them one by one, it just sounded like too much work to me,lol. And because I am using FQs and leftover strip, what I did was sewing 10-15 strips together (depending on the strips sizes) and then cut a 45 degree angle and then 3.5'' strips from there(for the blue strings that is) and then cut these strips into 3.5'' squares, there is a bit of waste but not enough for me to worry about lol. And it went fast too once the strips are cut. I haven't started with the other red strings yet, but I am planning on doing the same method, only I think I'll sew more strips initially since the squares are larger. Hope this makes sense to someone, lol.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:42 AM

Thanks, Coyotemagic. I love how it turned out. Somebody else did a yellow but they used a golden yellow and I really liked that color combination. It was so much fun and I will definitely do another.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the link sadiemae! Thinking about doing It Takes 2..not sure yet.

I actually love making strings! For strings: after I cut my strips for strings in varying sizes from 1" to 1 3/4" and cut my paper squares I lay strips on the squares and cut them a bit longer than needed. I stack these in 10 or 20 squares so they are ready to sew. I find this method of predetermining the strips for each square works well for me and seems to make them sew together faster. After I sew a bunch of them then I trim off the excess and start over. Doing a bit at a time makes me feel like I've accomplished more!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:30 AM

I have nothing against strings, actually love them in most quilts, but for this one, I think my eye needs somewhere to rest in the quilt. Just a personal preference. An easy way to rest the eye is to skip the strings, since I haven't started cutting for those. I also think piecing a bunch of strips together and then cutting triangles out of it makes sense. Life keeps interrupting so I'm not making any progress right now....gotta work on some other stuff first.