Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along >

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Old 01-27-2012, 06:48 AM

I am close to putting my Orca Bay together. Probably only 25 more flying geese blocks and I'll be ready. Have already put some of the dark ohio stars together with the flying geese blocks. Not too far off. I also am doing the Dear Jane, I'm up to March with my blocks. I am also thinking about doing the Farmers Wife Pony Club. I got sidetracked with a swap which I'll finish up this weekend then I can concentrate on these other things.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote: firgured out how to correct the flying geese in step 7 to get the right size (from Emma S)

Hi Emma,
I am just now reading through all the comments on the OB mystery quilt. I have been so discouraged and today packed it all away. Step 7 has me so frustrated. My pieces measure 7 X 3.5, and there is no way to trim them and retain the points. I see you have conquered it ~ any suggestions???
Old 02-05-2012, 08:20 AM

Carol: I have only three suggestions. First measure your half square triangle to make sure that it measures exactly what Bonnie suggested. Then use the rulers she suggested to make the triangles, blunting the corners so you know just where to join them. Then use the same rulers to true up the finished product. If your not cutting off any from the long edge you won't lose your points. The main thing I learned is if you err, err on the side of putting more towards the top. When I started mine measured exactly what yours measures. Please don't get discouraged. I found "perfecting" one before going on to the others really helped. The up side is that I really learned a lot about joining unequal triangles. Hope this makes sense. Let us know how you are doing.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:40 PM

Hi all! Just got this notification for another quilt along and thought I would share it with you all. Might be fun to start a new thread and we can encourage each other. This one is one block a month too!! Take a look and post if you are interested in doing it. I don't know how to start a new thread?? anyone else know how?? do we need permission??
http://www.quiltstory.blogspot.com/
Old 02-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yayaquilts View Post
Hi all! Just got this notification for another quilt along and thought I would share it with you all. Might be fun to start a new thread and we can encourage each other. This one is one block a month too!! Take a look and post if you are interested in doing it. I don't know how to start a new thread?? anyone else know how?? do we need permission??
It would be fun, but I don't have the book and I can't afford to buy it.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 PM

to start a new thread you would go to the home page, click on main and you will find the post new thread button in the upper left of the page. you will however need permission from patrice to do a quilt along.

Originally Posted by yayaquilts View Post
Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
It would be fun, but I don't have the book and I can't afford to buy it.
i betcha the block patterns will be on quilters cache or some other online block library and you will not need to purchase the book at all.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 AM

Yes, I was thinking you could do this "quilt along" without the book. As I looked at the list of monthly blocks, many look like "simple" patterns: "nine patch", "HST", "4 patch", "hourglass", "flying geese", etc; plus they are going to include tutorials for a few of the months.

I will contact Patrice for permission and start a new thread, if there's interest in doing this quilt along--anyone interested, please let me know!!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Carol: I have only three suggestions. First measure your half square triangle to make sure that it measures exactly what Bonnie suggested. Then use the rulers she suggested to make the triangles, blunting the corners so you know just where to join them. Then use the same rulers to true up the finished product. If your not cutting off any from the long edge you won't lose your points. The main thing I learned is if you err, err on the side of putting more towards the top. When I started mine measured exactly what yours measures. Please don't get discouraged. I found "perfecting" one before going on to the others really helped. The up side is that I really learned a lot about joining unequal triangles. Hope this makes sense. Let us know how you are doing.
Emma, I can't thank you enough for passing on your tips to me and getting me over the hump of discouragement. I followed your suggestions and they are now coming out perfectly. Wow, this has been a labor intensive quilt and a higher learning curve for me. Have you finished your's yet? I don't recall seeing a picture. Carol
Old 02-07-2012, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
Quote: firgured out how to correct the flying geese in step 7 to get the right size (from Emma S)

Hi Emma,
I am just now reading through all the comments on the OB mystery quilt. I have been so discouraged and today packed it all away. Step 7 has me so frustrated. My pieces measure 7 X 3.5, and there is no way to trim them and retain the points. I see you have conquered it ~ any suggestions???
Don't give up. It doesn't matter if it looks exactly like Bonnie's. Quilting is a wonderful art where if you mess up you can just pretend it was planned