Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along >

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Old 03-20-2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by In the woods View Post
This is my finished top. I put the pieces together differently - it was too busy for me as designed. Added sashing - so here it is
very nice! looks great with the sashing!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:40 AM

I am stalled on it at the moment. I was putting the top together and got side-tracked to work on a T-shirt quilt for my son who is graduating high school this year. I got his top pieced and backing sewed together but not yet layered and quilted.

Then I side tracked again and took apart a top I had made from my dad's flannel shirts. I had pieced the flannel top prior to starting the Orca Bay mystery. I had taken the lazy way out (because I didn't like the colors) and cut 6 X 12 in rectangles. I pieced the 6 inch ends together and placed 5 rectangles per row. I separated each row with a 2 in wide strip of another flannel that I bought. I got it all together and realized that I 'hated', hated, hated' the way it looked. I knew I would never finish it because I couldn't stand it. (Did I say I HATED it?) It has been sitting since I started the Orca bay quilt.

I finally saw a picure of Bonnie Hunter's Smith Mountain Morning quilt done in shirting prints and decided that this would be perfect for the plaid flannel. I decided that I hated the current version more than I hated unsewing. So I took apart the original top and started recutting. I have all the stars finished and I am working on the Courthouse steps blocks. I have had to buy some more flannels to supplement the shirts, since I only had 5 to begin with. I have designed additional borders to make it about twin size. I like this design much better and that will encourage me to finish the quilt.

I will get back to the Orca bay quilt eventually. I will have to quilt the T-shirt quilt first and at least finish piecing the central portion of the flannel quilt. Maybe finish all the pieced flannel borders before going back to the Orca Bay mystery.

Last edited by lakekids; 04-05-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by lakekids View Post
I am stalled on it at the moment.......

I will get back to the Orca bay quilt eventually. I will have to quilt the T-shirt quilt first and at least finish piecing the central portion of the flannel quilt. Maybe finish all the pieced flannel borders before going back to the Orca Bay mystery.
You are not alone, lakekids; I am stalled too. NOT because I don't like the Orca Bay Mystery (I do), just life got in the way. We were out of town for 3 weeks (and I was without my machine), and then Monday I had carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand. I'm doing so much better than when I had the surgery on my right hand 4+ yrs ago. Not as much pain and the bandage is smaller-I get it off tomorrow!!!

So, I am so very anxious to get back to sewing.

And, as if I didn't have enough projects to keep me more than busy, {what with doing 2 Boom Swaps (need to make almost 40 [yikes!] blocks!!), a lap quilt to make for my swap partner which I haven't started (but I have 3 whole months and I do have the pattern picked and fabrics ready to cut!!), the Mystery Train project (here on QB with the talented paintmejudy!), and Orca Bay to get back on track with---I'm still making the flying geese and Ohio stars, and......the list goes on.....},
I found another Mystery Quilt over on Quilter's Club of America, that's free, so I started a thread here in case any of you are as nuts as me to even think about "starting" another project!!!! Check it out.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:53 AM

It's interesting how some of us had the time to make this quilt so quickly and then there are some of us that just hangs in there with the possiblity of getting it done when we can. I fall in the last group! Mine is still completely cut and in a plastic container waiting patiently to be put together. I'm currently binding a quilt that has taken a year to complete. I have another one to make for my DD that just graduated from college including the Dental Hygentist program. This will be my next project. I have a couple of BOM quilts with just the blocks made and they may take a back seat to Orca Bay. I take care of my DGD that is in Kindergarten and my DMIL that has lived with us for the last 6 months. My wonderful father passed away last month after a 2 year bout with cancer. It's taken a toll on my emotions and time for the 2 year duration. Even though we were prepared for his passing it certainly does not make it any easier to loose such a piller of strength that he was in my life. The mourning still takes it's own time. My own mother now needs extra help and I'll gladly do whatever I can to help her. It looks like it will be one day a week that I can spend with her. We have 7 children and 18 grandchildren so there is always someone coming or going.
I'm not complaining, my life is rich and rewarding and I just love quilting. I'm just saying Orca Bay is still to come for me.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 AM

Rhonda Lee, sorry about the passing of your father.

Everyone who is still working on Orca Bay, enjoy the process, it is no race, lol. I have been working on binding this quilt for a month now, lol, but then who is counting?

Whatever pace you are working with, hope you all continue to post pictures.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:38 AM

Karen, ANOTHER MYSTERY??? You are obsessed, lol. Going to check it out now.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee View Post
...My wonderful father passed away last month after a 2 year bout with cancer. It's taken a toll on my emotions and time for the 2 year duration. Even though we were prepared for his passing it certainly does not make it any easier to loose such a piller of strength that he was in my life. The mourning still takes it's own time. ...I'm not complaining, my life is rich and rewarding and I just love quilting. I'm just saying Orca Bay is still to come for me.
rhonda my condolences for your loss. i too had a very similar situation with my father who was also a pillar of my life. my father's cancer came back 3 times (after treatment & surgery). it was very aggressive and determined. he passed 7 yrs ago but he's still very present for me. yes my life is rich and full and my father's love gave me a firm foundation to stand on.

yes we must pace ourselves with our quilting and i too am amazed at the speed with which others finish their quilts. i use it as my inspiration and motivation and keep plugging away at the hobby i much love. yep orca bay is on my list of to-do's. your words have touched me in a special way because i can relate.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by yayaquilts View Post
Another Mystery Quilt over on Quilter's Club of America
Sorry fellow quilters, admin took the thread away because to participate quilters wouldhave to sign up to join QCA and QB can't allow an activity that essentially advertises and promotes one of those other communities.

PM me with any further questions regarding this.

Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up!!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 PM

Welcome to the crew Carolyn. We are having lots of fun doing this together!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:49 AM

guess I'm to late for the mystery. page not found when I go to the link. If anyone can help me with the start of this it would be fun have not done alot of scrappy quilts.

Deb