Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

Esqmommy 01-14-2010 01:16 PM

It's amazing to me that, at least in my brief read of the links, that she does not credit Jane Stickle, or mention the origin of her blocks??? Is she scared of Brenda's reaction? It's not like Brenda owns the squares...

kluedesigns 01-14-2010 01:24 PM

this is from the website

"Come take a private lesson with me, and discover the advantages of hand piecing with freezer paper templates. My Quilted Diamonds books were inspired by the Jane Stickle Quilt (1863), which is the subject of the book Dear JaneTM by Brenda Papadakis, and by the Jane Austen Quilt (1812). See Jane Austen's Writing Table Quilts DVD too."

Esqmommy 01-14-2010 01:26 PM

Okay, makes me feel better. Guess you gotta read a little deeper before you assume...that goes to me of course!

kluedesigns 01-14-2010 01:30 PM

brenda is a bear about the entire thing though.

she owns the trademark on Dear Jane, Baby Jane, and Dear Hannah and if you use those words without her consent she will shut you down.

i believe "that quilt" blog used to have a much different name until brenda shut her down.

sunrise450 01-14-2010 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
brenda is a bear about the entire thing though.

she owns the trademark on Dear Jane, Baby Jane, and Dear Hannah and if you use those words without her consent she will shut you down.

i believe "that quilt" blog used to have a much different name until brenda shut her down.

you are right, "that quilt" is named just that because they used Dear Jane as their title and Brenda made them change it. Somewhere on their site (That Quilt) the name change is explained.
Brenda caused a stink and they got shut down and just changed their name.
Personaly I think "That Quilt" is a great name and certainly says it all.

retrogirl02 01-14-2010 04:03 PM

That quilt is on the list of Janiacs or Dear Jane
Blogs from Brenda's link page, so it sounds like all is on the mend now.

Inklingo can be addictive also & Brenda has allowed information on the Dear Jane list serve about it. There are free downloads on it to try her method but I had a bear of a time getting my printer to allow the freezer paper through it. I think if I did it again, I'd tape the freezer paper to a regular piece of printer paper for ease. If we have any blocks that cannot be paper pieced without too much trouble, I might use the technique for templates.

kluedesigns 01-14-2010 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by retrogirl02
That quilt is on the list of Janiacs or Dear Jane
Blogs from Brenda's link page, so it sounds like all is on the mend now.

Inklingo can be addictive also & Brenda has allowed information on the Dear Jane list serve about it. There are free downloads on it to try her method but I had a bear of a time getting my printer to allow the freezer paper through it. I think if I did it again, I'd tape the freezer paper to a regular piece of printer paper for ease. If we have any blocks that cannot be paper pieced without too much trouble, I might use the technique for templates.

of course that quilt would make nice with brenda she wants the dear jane business - aside from the fact that she never would have won the lawsuit.

retrogirl02 01-14-2010 04:12 PM

Personally, I adore thatquilt and think it's one of the best blogs for Jane I've seen...as soon as I saw it I had to check back over and over to see her progress and you KNOW I love her fabric choices!! =)
IMHO if I simply re-drafted/copied another quilter's work, I don't think I'd have the nerve to give people a hard time as they help others through the process, but that's just me.

Marinemom2J 01-14-2010 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by retrogirl02
There are free downloads on it to try her method but I had a bear of a time getting my printer to allow the freezer paper through it. I think if I did it again, I'd tape the freezer paper to a regular piece of printer paper for ease.

The easiest way I've found to print my templates onto freezer paper is to lightly iron the freezer paper to a piece of printer paper, trim it so it's the same size and then just feed it through. After I've finished printing it just peels off and is ready to be pressed onto fabric.

retrogirl02 01-14-2010 04:15 PM

OOOOH good idea, Marinemom! Thanks for the tip!!!