Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

Sheree from Chicago 11-30-2009 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
I just found out I will be 1.25 hours away from the museum that has the original Jane in January. I called and THEY ARE CLOSED FOR JANUARY!!! I am going to be so close!!!! And besides they only display the quilt once a year. Maybe one day!!!

As much as I am looking forward to making this quilt, so much connected with the Dear Jane seems so snobbish! Do you think?

sharon b 11-30-2009 09:40 PM

TSA (?) says you can take blunt tipped scissors on airplanes now. When I flew to Vegas in April I went to WalMart in the stationary dept and bought a pair of kiddy scisors for $1.00 just in case and had no problems .

kluedesigns 11-30-2009 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sheree from Chicago

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
just a heads up for people

i've started to redraft some of the applique blocks into paper piecing patterns like......

A11
A13
B5
C2
C7
E6
H2
I7
I10
J1

and i'll be working on some more. when these blocks come up in the rotation i'll make sure the PP Patterns are available to everyone who would rather PP those blocks.

Thanks so much Klue. But are we starting with your scheduled blocks for Jan 4th (M8,K9,I9 &TR5?

yes, we'll be following the list i post. i just wanted to get some of the redrafting out of the way now so we'll all be able to run in january.

kluedesigns 11-30-2009 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Janstar
I did the same thing Luv. I really liked my 8 year old printer and did'nt want to part with it and it was screwing up. My DH went to town and came home with a new one and I have'nt had any trouble since. Except with the operator!!!!!!!!!!

Kelly, that will be great! PP and I seem to get along ok. I think I'll be spending more time on triangles than most of the blocks.

i'm going to transfer what ever triangles i can into PP but they aren't as flexible as the blocks are.

Klue you are amazing!

right back at ya!

Sheree from Chicago 11-30-2009 09:44 PM

I got my templates today. YEAH!!! Let GO.

it is so exciting. i've started to redraft some of the blocks but thats about all i've done.

OMG Klue you've done so much already! I think God put you on this earth to show people how giving and thoughtful the world should be!

kluedesigns 11-30-2009 09:46 PM

ESQ & okie

i am doing the HAPPY DANCE!!!!!!

this is the exact same paper. i'm bursting with joy.

thank you so much ESQ for solving the mystery.

Is this the transparent paper? I've only used Carol Doaks newspaper on top, fabric below sewing the backside. What purpose does transparent paper make?

i use a transparent type paper when i do paper piecing. i find it easier to work with because i can see thru it and it rips easily from the seams.

a couple of people on the forum have tried it.

here's a link to the paper

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...3&Item_ID=1087

kluedesigns 11-30-2009 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
I am hoping to get all the updates to this now that we have the new format.

i hope the same thing.

i've been keeping a list of everyone's name and when we officially kick off i will send everyone a PM with the links to the threads

kluedesigns 11-30-2009 09:48 PM

I made my first Jane block tonight. I am ahlf way done with number two. I will post pics tomorrow.

i can't wait to see it - i just love looking at all the little blocks

kluedesigns 11-30-2009 09:54 PM

I just found out I will be 1.25 hours away from the museum that has the original Jane in January. I called and THEY ARE CLOSED FOR JANUARY!!! I am going to be so close!!!! And besides they only display the quilt once a year. Maybe one day!!!

As much as I am looking forward to making this quilt, so much connected with the Dear Jane seems so snobbish! Do you think?

some times it can appear to be snobbish but i don't think its meant to be.

making a DJ quilt is a huge milestone for any quilter and some of them wish to do it in a more traditional method to pay homage to jane.

while this the method doesn't appeal to me, i can understand the desire.

i think when anyone, regardless of their method or choices, see's someones jane block or quilt they appreciate and admire the hard work that went into it.

Sheree from Chicago 11-30-2009 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
I cannot believe how excited I am to start this with you all!

Someone said they were doing all the pieces by hand, which actually got me to wondering if I wanted to do that. I woke up this morning with my arthritis in my hands killing me. I guess that would be a no. Lol. Some of those blocks look like they might go together better by hand and I may do a few by hand. I love learning new techniques so I think I may try a bit of everything with this quilt, hand sewing, machine piecing, and paper piecing. I'm also going to have to get out the coloring pencils and play around with the color and value placements. I'm definitely using scraps, but in an organized way. I will keep my eye out for sales on flat fold fabrics at a LQS. Once they go on sale I will see what is available and make a background choice then. I'm definitely leaning toward a dark background but I think I'd like to try something other than black. I wait for the flat fold sale because then the fabric is only $1.99 a yard!! As long as I am picky I usually get some great fabric.

I'm going to send out an email to all my local quilting buddies and see if anyone in my local guild might be interested in doing this with us. If there is any interest then we can meet at my house once a week or every other week to go over the block and whatnot. Doesn't that sound like fun?

That sounds like great fun!