Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

MoodyKim 12-03-2009 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
And now that I sound like a complete misery guts, it's not really that bad. :-)

I can't go spending for a while, but I've been saving the loyalty cards from my two favourite shops. So from one I have six fat quarters to get (I have my eye on a new funky range for those) and the other one I have a voucher for $25, which is pretty close to the cost of a full metre (just over a yard). So when I get down, I'll still be able to have some retail therapy! ;-)

and I thought our LQS here in Teas was high :!: Maybe I should rethink that. :)

cutebuns 12-03-2009 11:31 PM

I wouldn't be able to afford to quilt if I had to pay those prices,

MoodyKim 12-03-2009 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken

Originally Posted by MoodyKim
We all have battles to face in life it is making it through them and still knowing how to smile and be happy that helps us be able to help others when bad times hit them

Oh that is SO true!

My sister lost her husband to cancer, he was just 34, and now her 9 year old son has it as well (thankfully he's in remission).

But she went on national tv yesterday and and had her head shaved to raise funds for the Child Cancer Foundation, along with a friend who lost her almost three year old to that same cruel disease. These are two women who take immense pride in their appearances, they always look stunning, and now they're completely bald. It was inspiring to watch not only their courage, but their humour and spirit, and their determination to help others after everything they've been through.

My son was 16, he died in an auto accident. I will keep your sister in my prayers. Sounds like she is a very strong woman.

BlueChicken 12-03-2009 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by MoodyKim
My son was 16, he died in an auto accident. I will keep your sister in my prayers. Sounds like she is a very strong woman.

16 is far too young, life is just so unfair sometimes.

I look forward to doing the DJ with you... I can't wait till it starts in January. :-)

BlueChicken 12-03-2009 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
I wouldn't be able to afford to quilt if I had to pay those prices,

I've always had to be careful, but have still managed to build up quite a stash and do the odd class here and there.

We're only just getting hit with the whole "recession" thing now though, hubby is in the construction trade and they're behind everyone else. So we've got a real tight year coming up. If we can last one year, we'll be doing ok. It takes a year from a building being drawn on paper, to when they start construction (hubby does the windows). So when the recession hit, we still had a years worth of work. Now we're running out, but it's supposedly easing. So in another year, we'll have more work.

kluedesigns 12-03-2009 11:51 PM

blue

your sister is amazing. you too must be so much alike.

BlueChicken 12-03-2009 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
blue

your sister is amazing. you too must be so much alike.

She's much stronger than me! :-)

After what she's been through, I'd have been hiding under my bed for the rest of my life! LOL

kluedesigns 12-03-2009 11:56 PM

my dearest friend just contacted me today to let me know her sister has breast cancer.

its so advanced they can't do surgery - she'll be starting chemo in a few days.

my friend needs me to make a comfy quilt for her to use while undergoing treatment and then she wants me to make an art quilt for her too.

cutebuns 12-03-2009 11:58 PM

I hate cancer and what it does to people, I don't think that anyone has not been touched by it in some way shape or fashion,

cutebuns 12-04-2009 12:01 AM

Is he a glazier?

We are lucky in one way that even if DH gets a min paying job he has a pension and an award from VA, things are more than tight right now as he is on disability and going to school, though he graduates tomorrow. As soon as he is back at work will will be okay and if he gets a job in heavy equipment they start at more than double min wage. Catching up on the bills in the first month or two will be the hardest part now, at least I hope.