Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/50-fab-paper-pieced-stars-t171784.html)

klgreene 05-02-2012 04:48 PM

Thanks everyone. I do have Carol Doak's paper and I use regular copy paper. Does anyone use vellum? A couple patterns I've ordered had the vellum but I do just fine with regular copy paper. But I thought newsprint would be really good if it came in 8 1/2 x 11 sheets.

whitepine 05-03-2012 07:10 AM

I tried vellum because someone used it and liked it. Maybe I didn't get the right stuff, but it was expensive and didn't tear off any better than regular copy paper, maybe even worse. I didn't see any advantage at all, IMHO.

klgreene 05-03-2012 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by whitepine (Post 5190480)
I tried vellum because someone used it and liked it. Maybe I didn't get the right stuff, but it was expensive and didn't tear off any better than regular copy paper, maybe even worse. I didn't see any advantage at all, IMHO.

That's what I thought too...I'll just stick to copy paper its the cheapest so far.

paintmejudy 05-03-2012 11:07 AM

I use newsprint, it is much easier to remove after sewing on your fabric. The cheapest I 've found is at Hobby Lobby in the children's craft section, 100 sheets (9" x 12") for $1.99. I cut it to 8-1/2" x 11". Joann has it too but is more money, 60 sheets for $2.99.

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma (Post 5186394)
Ok, so excited, just got my book. Should be a blast to get started now. I do need to finish the 30s log cabin I am doing so I will mix it up here. Which brand is the best for you ladies on the foundation paper?

klgreene 05-03-2012 12:12 PM

I cleaned outmy "Paper products" I used to make invitations and wedding announcements, stuff like that. And at that time typing paper was 18# and about $2.00 a ream.... I found about a ream of it..... so I'll try using that and see if it's better than the 20#. I'll also check out Hobby Lobby. I already have two more stars run off, so I'll try it on something else in the mean time.

Patricia Faye 05-03-2012 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy (Post 5191012)
I use newsprint, it is much easier to remove after sewing on your fabric. The cheapest I 've found is at Hobby Lobby in the children's craft section, 100 sheets (9" x 12") for $1.99. I cut it to 8-1/2" x 11". Joann has it too but is more money, 60 sheets for $2.99.

I primarily use the newsprint from Hobby Lobby too. Can't beat the price, especially if you have a coupon! I have Carol Doak's paper but don't see much of a difference between the two. I tried cheap copy paper but didn't care for it. I think it all depends on what you prefer to use.

wvhill22 05-04-2012 09:44 AM

I use tracing paper. It's cheap. I have a paper cutter that I use to cut them down to 8 1/2 X 11 and run them through my printer one at a time

Patricia Faye 05-05-2012 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by wvhill22 (Post 5193512)
I use tracing paper. It's cheap. I have a paper cutter that I use to cut them down to 8 1/2 X 11 and run them through my printer one at a time

Where do you buy your tracing paper?

Patricia Faye 05-06-2012 03:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone! As speedy as I am, I was only able to complete one of the State Star blocks this week. I spent a lot of time working in my garden as well as finishing a Round Robin border for group I belong to, completing the next step on a mystery quilt & putting together my baby granddaughter's quilt. The border & baby quilt both look great too. So will try & get the baby quilt quilted & finish the rest of the State Star blocks this week so I can begin to put them together. So here is my Washington block (It was one of the simplest of the stars to complete.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]333098[/ATTACH]

tomilu 05-06-2012 04:21 AM

[QUOTE=Patricia Faye;5197048]Hello everyone! As speedy as I am, I was only able to complete one of the State Star blocks this week. I spent a lot of time working in my garden as well as finishing a Round Robin border for group I belong to, completing the next step on a mystery quilt & putting together my baby granddaughter's quilt. The border & baby quilt both look great too. So will try & get the baby quilt quilted & finish the rest of the State Star blocks this week so I can begin to put them together. So here is my Washington block (It was one of the simplest of the stars to complete.)QUOTE]

Pretty color coombo, Patricia! Haven't started this weeks's yet. Have to do a QOV on the longarm today after church.