Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/50-fab-paper-pieced-stars-t171784.html)

whitepine 12-30-2011 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by nickylsf (Post 4824081)
KL and Whitepine, just curious, what do you mean " piecing like Carol Doak". Are you referring to the fact that she gives the size to cut each piece?

I too am giving a lot of thought to the fabrics. I really want to go scrappy, but it will all have to look good together at the end. I have so much stash that I don't really want to buy anything for this.

I was talking more about colors in my post but it's true, I have never precut the pieces like she does. I would just lay the pattern on a bigger piece and use what I needed. Like on the Buildings BOM, there were no two pieces the same. The "one piece at a time" takes a lot longer but may save some fabric. But her patterns have so many pieces the same size that it is really nice to have the pieces all cut. The stars go together really fast.

I would think scrappy will work on these stars. Maybe the same background to tie it together. IMHO Carol's examples are a little too busy with her patterned background. What do I know :), I'm a newcomer to quilting.

klgreene 12-30-2011 09:27 AM

I'm referring to cutting the size of fabric, I always use scraps, I like this better, less waste. And less mess. Also she folds on the next line to sew on and cuts the 1/4". I had sewn the two together then cut the 1/4", this is less fabric to cut at one time, so easier on the hands. However, I just finished a 27x27 Christmas Cactus and it gave the amount of fabric needed, but not what size cuts, so I'll be doing PP both ways. With all the pieces in my CC I would never have taken the time to figure out what size cut pieces I needed. So on any non-Carol Doak patterns, I'll still be singing, "back to back" and "front to front".

PokerDiva 12-30-2011 09:49 AM

I precut all mine but I measure my own. I don't use her measurements. I like to cut them a little larger. I also trim to slightly less than 1/4" before I add the next piece.

Can't wait to see all the stars. Sunday will be a fun day.

whitepine 12-30-2011 10:15 AM

Pokerdiva, Are we going to have a new thread each week for posting pictures, or will they be on this thread? Just wondering what to look for.

PokerDiva 12-30-2011 10:53 AM

We are staying right here. I don't want to lose anyone. All pics to be posted here.

Originally Posted by whitepine (Post 4824382)
Pokerdiva, Are we going to have a new thread each week for posting pictures, or will they be on this thread? Just wondering what to look for.

rwquilts 12-30-2011 12:59 PM

I have finished Alabama and will work on Alaska soon. I was also in my EQ designing my quilt so I know how many blocks I want to make. Glad we'll be on one thread PokerDiva...keeps things simple!

PokerDiva 12-30-2011 02:16 PM

Yes, much easier to stay on the same thread. I forget when I have to look all over the place. I was thinking also about how many blocks to make. If you make 50 it doesn't quite work for a quilt. 7 accross and 7 down is 49. I don't want to leave any out so I thought if I made 6 of the combination blocks when I have time as I go then I would have 7 across and 8 down. That seems reasonable to me and I think I can stick 6 more blocks in along the way. Anyone else have a thought on that?

Originally Posted by rwquilts (Post 4824756)
I have finished Alabama and will work on Alaska soon. I was also in my EQ designing my quilt so I know how many blocks I want to make. Glad we'll be on one thread PokerDiva...keeps things simple!

whitepine 12-30-2011 02:38 PM

Well, the flag has 50 stars so maybe that's a pattern.

I'm glad too that we're staying on this thread. The "view first unread" feature is a nice one and makes it so easy to go right where you left off reading.

PokerDiva 12-30-2011 02:42 PM

But on the flag aren't the stars staggered?

Originally Posted by whitepine (Post 4825022)
Well, the flag has 50 stars so maybe that's a pattern.

I'm glad too that we're staying on this thread. The "view first unread" feature is a nice one and makes it so easy to go right where you left off reading.

nickylsf 12-30-2011 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by PokerDiva (Post 4824954)
Yes, much easier to stay on the same thread. I forget when I have to look all over the place. I was thinking also about how many blocks to make. If you make 50 it doesn't quite work for a quilt. 7 accross and 7 down is 49. I don't want to leave any out so I thought if I made 6 of the combination blocks when I have time as I go then I would have 7 across and 8 down. That seems reasonable to me and I think I can stick 6 more blocks in along the way. Anyone else have a thought on that?

Here is an idea for #50: Leave it in four pieces and use it for cornerstones! :) You can also get to 50 by putting them on point and adding half square triangles on the edges.