Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/50-fab-paper-pieced-stars-t171784.html)

rwquilts 12-30-2011 05:24 PM

I am making my quilt 6 blocks x 7 blocks for a total of 42 blocks with 3" strips and two 3" borders...it will end up to be 93" x 108" doing that. I figured that I would make the 50 state star blocks and it will give me some throw pillows or pillowcases or both. Better too many than not enough for me! LOL! I might even take some and make a mini wall quilt to match.

Originally Posted by PokerDiva (Post 4824954)
Yes, much easier to stay on the same thread. I forget when I have to look all over the place. I was thinking also about how many blocks to make. If you make 50 it doesn't quite work for a quilt. 7 accross and 7 down is 49. I don't want to leave any out so I thought if I made 6 of the combination blocks when I have time as I go then I would have 7 across and 8 down. That seems reasonable to me and I think I can stick 6 more blocks in along the way. Anyone else have a thought on that?

PokerDiva 12-30-2011 05:25 PM

Good idea.

Originally Posted by nickylsf (Post 4825434)
Here is an idea for #50: Leave it in four pieces and use it for cornerstones! :) You can also get to 50 by putting them on point and adding half square triangles on the edges.

PokerDiva 12-30-2011 05:26 PM

Another good idea!!!

Originally Posted by rwquilts (Post 4825450)
I am making my quilt 6 blocks x 7 blocks for a total of 42 blocks with 3" strips and two 3" borders...it will end up to be 93" x 108" doing that. I figured that I would make the 50 state star blocks and it will give me some throw pillows or pillowcases or both. Better too many than not enough for me! LOL!

klgreene 12-30-2011 05:28 PM

Hey girls, I've just finished #1, I'm not going to worry about the end until I get a bunch done. You are way ahead of me. LOL

Fabaddict 12-30-2011 05:30 PM

I am planning on doing this, but am having trouble picking fabrics. Should I do it in Christmas fabrics? Scrappy? Christmas Scrappy? Oh, the decisions. LOL

PokerDiva 12-30-2011 06:28 PM

Why don't you wait to see what some of the other peoples blocks look like. It may help you decide.

Originally Posted by Fabaddict (Post 4825465)
I am planning on doing this, but am having trouble picking fabrics. Should I do it in Christmas fabrics? Scrappy? Christmas Scrappy? Oh, the decisions. LOL

iwillquilt 12-31-2011 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by whitepine (Post 4825022)
I'm glad too that we're staying on this thread. The "view first unread" feature is a nice one and makes it so easy to go right where you left off reading.

Where do I find this "view first unread" feature?

Honchey 12-31-2011 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by iwillquilt (Post 4826508)
Where do I find this "view first unread" feature?

Go to the HOME page...click on "settings"...scroll to "my account".... click on "general settings"...scroll to "thread display mode".... click on "newest first".

whitepine 12-31-2011 08:06 AM

The "view first unread" appears at the top of every page, right next to the "thread tools." It is in blue. I have never done a setting, this has just always been there on my subscribed threads. It takes me right to where I left off the last time I was here. If it doesn't appear on your page I am at a loss. :)

Honchey's idea to reverse the order of the thread so that the newest posts are first, is also a way to keep track of where you are.

meanmom 12-31-2011 10:45 AM

I am going to do it out of my stash. I went to buy background fabric today. I was undecided when I walked into the LQS. I was going back and forth between a light batik almost white and various dark batiks. I was going to buy a dark pink, dk blue, dk purple , dk green and vary the backgrounds. I found a really pretty dark bluish purple batik with a little bit of other colors sprinkled in. It is and island batik. Exactly what I was looking for. Cant wait to start. Maybe tonight.