Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/50-fab-paper-pieced-stars-t171784.html)

ljptexas 01-03-2012 07:28 AM

They are gorgeous!!! Got on a roll, huh?!!!
Where will I find the list??? Have lotssss of scraps!

whitepine 01-03-2012 07:54 AM

Wow, what an amazing bunch of stars. Nicky, I love your rose/gray color combo.

Meanmom, My calculation for background came up with 6 yards. I too thought that was a lot but if Carol Doak says 7 yards then it's definitely in the ballpark. I hate buying that much at once. :shock: (sticker shock) I usually buy as I go but am afraid it will get sold out.

wvhill22 01-03-2012 08:08 AM

Is it to late to join. I just found this thread today..I have had this book forever and have a few blocks done..This may be what I need to finish this

whitepine 01-03-2012 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by ljptexas (Post 4837502)
They are gorgeous!!! Got on a roll, huh?!!!
Where will I find the list??? Have lotssss of scraps!

LJP, If I'm understanding your question right :) we're working our way through a book called "50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars" by Carol Doak. We're doing one a week and we've just started. Week one, Alabama. wvhillww, plenty of time as we've only just begun.

nickylsf 01-03-2012 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by whitepine (Post 4837603)
Wow, what an amazing bunch of stars. Nicky, I love your rose/gray color combo.

Meanmom, My calculation for background came up with 6 yards. I too thought that was a lot but if Carol Doak says 7 yards then it's definitely in the ballpark. I hate buying that much at once. :shock: (sticker shock) I usually buy as I go but am afraid it will get sold out.

Hi WhitePine, I saw that calculation as well and thought it was alot. I made my first background with a scrap of black tonal blender I had (black with faint dark grey design), knowing I would run out. Yesterday I bought 3 half yard pieces of 3 other black tonal blenders. So I will go along like that; theses will not clash with each other and I won't have to worry about either buying too much or not being able to find more of the exact fabric.

PokerDiva 01-03-2012 08:57 AM

Never too late. There is not sign up and you can make as many or as few blocks as you would like. We just started this week so please join us.

Originally Posted by wvhill22 (Post 4837672)
Is it to late to join. I just found this thread today..I have had this book forever and have a few blocks done..This may be what I need to finish this

goldendog55 01-03-2012 09:23 AM

I am going to use Kona cotton for these blocks. The backgrounds will be alternating black or snow. I chose Konas because I can always add different colors, when I need more of one color, I can always purchase more of the same. I will also be paying for the quilt as I go, and not ever have to worry about running out.

ntaylor 01-03-2012 02:12 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned but I thought I would share. I find that using phonebook pages make a great foundation backing, its incredibly cheap since you can get them for free and easy to piece on and tear off :)

ntaylor 01-03-2012 02:15 PM

Are the templates in the book true to size? Can I just make a copy?

meanmom 01-03-2012 02:22 PM

Yes the templates in the book are the right size. I only bought 5 yards of background fabric but I guess I will have to get 2 more. It is a batik and will be really hard to buy elsewhere. I looked thru the book and at least half of the blocks take just 4 3/4 X 4 3/4 squares and 3 3/4 X 3 3/4 squares. It doesn't seem to add up to that much. I love my background fabric so I guess I will have to buy more. Carol Doak said it adds up to about 5 yards but buy 7 to be safe.