Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-continued-t280960.html)

givio 03-22-2017 06:16 PM

Westalee charges so much for a little piece of metal. It seems like that foot can't be so costly to manufacture! I like the idea of it better than the 'hopping' feet available... Unfortunately they don't make one for a slant foot. I have a Singer slant foot too (model 717), and I particularly like it because it has a control for stitch speed where you can do anything with your foot pedal and the speed remains constant. It seems like Westalee must have a lot of profit with their products.

sewbizgirl 03-22-2017 08:19 PM

Love my old machines... The Herd already consisted of a 66-1 treadle from 1908, two 201's, two 301's (these two just fell into my lap at estate sales-- too cheap to leave behind), a 403, a 15-31, two featherweights, and now I'm trying to buy the 319w. In next month's auction, at the auction house, I saw a 66 in a cabinet that I WANT. I'll rip out all the wiring and put a hand crank on it! Funny, but I acquired most of these for a song... $17, $20, $25, $50... the one I'm looking at now is even cheaper than that. If it's a great machine in really nice condition and they are giving it away, how can you say 'no'?

The most expensive one I have is the 66 treadle for $135, BUT it came in the awesome parlor cabinet with the elevator lift! The cabinet is worth more than the machine.

It amazes me how anyone can be lacking a good sewing machine, when there are so many around like my Singers, machines that will never wear out. If you go to estate sales you see them regularly.

QuiltingNinaSue 03-23-2017 03:28 AM

Love your machine stories. Location is everything in locating a good buy at estate sales. Glad to hear of everyone's success there. Looking forward to my quilt trip (F A R T) on the 30th. Shop hop has popped up in that area, so it will be fun. Grap a bite on the run for lunch and away we go!

dublb 03-23-2017 03:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My sewing studio is here! :)
I have picts!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]570223[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]570224[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]570225[/ATTACH]

dublb 03-23-2017 03:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is the inside!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]570226[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]570227[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]570228[/ATTACH]

dublb 03-23-2017 03:46 AM

Sigh I can't start working on fixing it up as of yet. We still don't have the plank vinyl laid in the downstairs. The installer has been sick & is way behind. So we will put some stuff that is in the house out in my studio for a bit. Once the vinyl is laid I want to paint the dinning room as I don't want to have to pack up all the stuff in my curio cabinet & the 2 buffets again to do that. I will paint the rest of the inside of the house next fall. I also want to get the deck painted before I work on the sewing studio as I sure don't want to be painting that in July! We have already hit 95* & I am afraid that it will be a really hot summer! We are gonna have a cool front & will only get up to 82* today but I think it will be humid. Bleck!

oksewglad 03-23-2017 06:48 AM

Bev, you have your priorities mixed up...the studio has got to come first in my book!:D:D:D. All kidding aside, you will love your new floors and newly decorated DR. And your studio, will you ever want to leave it? Are dimensions about 16x24? Will you have "loft" storage? Perfect place for batting. You have so much space you could have batting on a horizontal rod and cut off that you need. Will you need heat in the winter? Air conditioning a must in summer, right? I bet your mind has been spinning with ideas...how wonderful.

A fun day with friends on a FART...the best, QNS.

What a herd, SBG! Thanks for sharing...how about pictures? I have 3 treadles that don't run, can't find the electrical cord?:D The flywheels are not frozen and I should get them in working condition...2 of them are family machines.

I'm not familiar with how rulers work, Jeanie. Do you need a special foot on your machine to protect the needle or does the foot fit in that center section?

Yesterday had a fun day with guild members at a sit n Sew...haven't been to one all year...I told MrOK I was going to sit n sew...he was surprised when I pulled out of the yard...he thought I was going to be sitting and sewing at home!

Today is go to the locker and bring home the beef! Yeah home grown meat...we've been waiting awhile. May can some on Friday, too. So much for sitting and sewing!!!!

Have a good one....

sewbizgirl 03-23-2017 08:50 AM

Hope you enjoyed the Sit and Sew, OK. It's always fun to do that with friends.

QNS, enjoy your FART! I'd be looking forward to it, too.

Gee Bev, you are the energizer bunny on steroids! Love the new building. I'd call it my Quilt Barn. I'd be in there all the time if I had a cool place like that, set up with all my quilting stuff. It's going to be wonderful.

I will try to find some pics of my old "girls" to show y'all. I'm sure I have some of the 66-1, at least.

JeanieG 03-23-2017 09:30 AM

OK - the ruler foot itself has a higher rim, so the ruler fits in the slot, or along the edge of the ruler without jumping over it. You have to buy a foot that fits your machine (high or low shank). Here is some information:

https://www.pinterest.com/amyquilts/...s-with-rulers/

QuiltingNinaSue 03-23-2017 11:19 AM

Dublb, what a wonderful shed for a Quilt Barn; now to design the 'outside' quilt board to hang above the door. then figure out how to set up the inside with enough outlets and lights for sewing! A gas fire place that would take the chill off the room in your 'winter' weeks and an air conditioner to keep it cool the other 34 weeks out of year! Nice to take your time deciding important things to enjoy the planning and the doing.

Ok, have not heard anything about the green house that you obtained. Did it work out for you? Good for you to get some time to sew with the ladies. Fresh meat from the locker sounds divine.

Looking forward to your pictures, SBG, of your 'babies'. Enjoy your class, JeanieG.

Read on face book, this lady who claims fame of knowing correct spacing after a period. She says it is one space. Back in the dark ages, we were taught two spaces. How things do change over the years.