Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Quilters Magazine "Bitty Blocks" >

Quilters Magazine "Bitty Blocks"

Quilters Magazine "Bitty Blocks"

Old 08-15-2015, 10:03 AM

Cute, cute, Honchey! How many more are you making? These take a while to make.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:11 PM

I have no idea ..I did this one cause I needed a break from looking for the missing piece of next week's block from the other thread... I have to trim up my paper for the printer, I hate using copy paper..it's so stiff.. I'm also packing the trunk of my car in between everything else for my trip to NC.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:29 PM

Hi! Honchey if you want to try a paper that is cheap go to your dollar store and get scribble pad paper 60 sheets. It tears off fabric good and works great in your copier. I use it all the time when I'm working with PP.

I really like all the blocks that you all are doing. One of these day maybe I'll get to do some.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
Here it is...I did pp it..

Oh sew cute, Honchey...
Old 08-15-2015, 06:54 PM

Hi JuanitaBean, That's where I go for my paper..the doodle pad...Only now they have the double size scribble pad. They don't carry the pad I ued to get anymore..The manager is checking on it for me..I cut the pads down to copy paper size..I just ran out of it and had to use copy paper..I didn't want to wait..
Old 08-15-2015, 08:03 PM

Katybob, you crease & fold the first line(center side) take center & first row fabric, pin or press to hold in place then sew the fabric along the creased edge of the folded paper, flip fabric, trim, continue with the third piece of fabric & folding the paper back on to itself to sew along the edge.. pressing the paper to the fabric so they stick together..Do I have it right? do you cut your fabric so that you don't have to trim it?
Old 08-16-2015, 04:29 AM

That's right, Honchey. I use freezer paper and iron each section to the paper as it's added. I crease and fold each template before sewing anything, so it's easier to fold back while I'm sewing. That's not really an extra step since I'm not creasing again as I sew. No need for postcards or add-a-quarter rulers. I generally precut my fabric into strips that will be wide enough to cover the biggest piece. I'm quite miserly with my fabric, so I have very little waste. The tutorial that clicked for me is at twiddletails.com
Old 08-16-2015, 05:38 AM

You're not the only one that hates to waste fabric! I even save the bits left over from trimming and put them in the Huggies dispensers..(grandkids visit regularly). one of these days I'm going to do something with them..

Where do you get your freezer paper from? premade sheets or from the roll?
Old 08-16-2015, 06:04 AM

Eventually most of my little scraps get used in projects like Bitty Blocks. I use both 8 1/2" x 11" sheets and paper on the roll, depending on the project. If I'm making several of the same block, I might trace the pattern on paper from the roll or if it's just one block, I print it on the precut sheets. My grandchildren are pretty good at tracing patterns for me! Some people cut letter-size paper from the roll and flatten them out and send them through their printer, but that's never worked for me. I get the precut freezer paper from cjenkinscompany.com
Old 08-16-2015, 11:41 AM

I've been working on these since the beginning of the year. I'm the president of our local quilt club, and we started this in January, but I think a lot of the girls have petered out, but I'm still doing them. I have all the rows done so far and I'll sew them together at the end of the year. I'm making it 42" wide before a border. So only 4 more rows, but then I'm going to add an additional row of the bow ties at the bottom. So I'll have three rows of bow ties in the quilt. I think they are all fun. Some challenging, but all doable. And a good way to use up some of your scrapes, but not using up enough. I can't see a dent yet.