Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd! >

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Old 05-31-2015, 08:46 AM

That doll and the little critters are amazingly cute! love the little lamb! Did you make all of those? did they take forever? and who is the little one who gets this? bet they will be adored. wowsa. thanks for sharing the pics I love when people share (HINT HINT) .. what are you working on and can you share it? off to do the legs to my beach chairs today and then to prepare for the applique rounds. I am almost relieved lol.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:17 PM

Koriana, what a cute doll and matching quilt. Love it. And all those puppets...what a labor of love.

I'm still here too and decided do a tree from my next row. I'm glad I did because the fabric had way too much yellow in it and didn't work with my blues. So now I'm rethinking it. Here's what didn't work.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521221[/ATTACH]

Also, forgot that you try not to use directional fabric in paper piecing. Too hard to get it all going the same direction.
Attached Thumbnails p1000059%25%25.jpg  

Last edited by whitepine; 05-31-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:24 PM

Great tree, Whitepine...I'm sure you'll find a home for it in another project where the yellow & green won't be out of place and I'm sure it was worth the practice. You did a good job with the directional fabric, but I understand the hassle. I just love all your paper piecing.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:25 AM

Whitepine - love that paper pieced tree. Is it a pattern or something you designed?
Old 06-02-2015, 01:06 PM

Koriana - those puppets are beautiful - a labor of love and used for the Lord - beautiful

I got to get back to my mom's house and my "sewing room" and so happy how it is turning out. These are the rows laid out. Doing it as a Quilt as you go. Thus doing the back in sections with the top. Helps when I do the quilting. Not free motion. My cousin loves Jazzersize and Zumba so I added the dancers. And they Kayak too.
Will get back to it tomorrow and hopefully will have better pictures.
Thank you Linda - you have inspired me to not only start this, but made me accountable.

Actually I went to her house to sandwich two quilts (which I have said is my hardest part of quilting) and forgot my long pins at my house. sooooo I happily got to work on this
Attached Thumbnails june-2.jpg  
Old 06-02-2015, 02:31 PM

Elizabrat - you asked what "other" projects we are working on. Since I'm done with my Row Robin "Up North in Minnesota" quilt and it is hanging on my bedroom wall I have worked on one little project. After I finished my Row Robin quilt, I had cleaned my sewing room and covered up my sewing machine. We got a rainy week and I couldn't stand not having a project to work on so did the attached small quilt - which could be a table topper or I think I will use it as a wall hanging. It's called "Little Twister". If you can zoom in the picture you will see that I sewed buttons to each of the windmills. I have a lot of those cute little buttons so wanted to use some.
Travelinggramma - you are getting close to the finish and it looks "awesome".[ATTACH=CONFIG]521349[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn1946.jpg  

Last edited by Karamarie; 06-02-2015 at 02:33 PM. Reason: error
Old 06-03-2015, 06:45 AM

Ok that beach quilt puts mine to shame. wowsa. the line quilting is amazing the little birds! and the drinks and volleyball person! cracked me up. I love the quilts and the works shown here. YOu are such talented ladies I am in awe of each and every one of you. the dolls and puppets? the windmills? come on what do you do when YOUR BORED!!! yikes. your fast and do beautiful work. every one of you. Me on the other hand I do piece by piece work until I am done and I am flat on the couch resting between each and every single step of the way. I wish I had what you have but so much enjoy watching the works be done that I cant wait for more and more. I think next time I will do a round robin where there will be say six people who designate to do one round for others to follow. there will be a general theme and it will be with say a seasonal color theme to it. so its more versatile and still a project to be enjoy. what do you say about that one? we will keep it simple enough everyone including me can do it lol and pretty enough you will enjoy it so much when your done. This will again be done with one row per month so you can easily get it done depending on how big you need it. say 4 blocks for a wall hanging or 8 blocks for a much larger quilt. you decide that's just one idea throwing it out to you....
Old 06-03-2015, 06:54 AM

That tree by the way was beautiful its such a shame it wont work with your row. Are YOU SURE it wont work? it looks so lovely hate to see it go to the ufo box. that would be sad. What a great Christmas card that would make (always thinking ahead) beautiful paper piecing. I wish I could do that![ATTACH=CONFIG]521407[/ATTACH]

these are the two chairs I settled for. By far so not perfect but frustration settled in and I got so mad at it I just did it. I wish they were better and they aren't. please no need to say they are just fine because I am old and losing my eye site by the hour it seems but even I can see they suck. lol. lessons learned: don't ever try to do something dimensional without a pattern. ever. I know I am not so good at it. BUT I try. And that counts for something. This weekend its the beginning of the top of my row robin. A traditional row of maybe not so traditional cool drinks by the beach. Those I know I can do. (one dimensional lol) so join me for a quick drink if you like or perhaps a border or two on your own finished quilt sigh.. and lets try to enjoy the conversation!
Attached Thumbnails p1010147.jpg  
Old 06-03-2015, 10:55 AM

Elisabrat - don't be so hard on yourself. Those chairs are just fine and to me they look very difficult. You asked what we do when we are bored well today is another rainy day and I have not decided what quilting project to do next but am thinking on another line. I'm in the downsizing mode and it started with a big auction last year to rid the sheds of machinery, antiques, too much stuff in the house (I have a big house), etc. etc. I ran across my wedding dress from 50 years ago and want to clean it and make 2 wedding dresses for 2 old dolls of mine to give one to each of my granddaughters. They are 11 & 2 so am not in a big hurry but I am 70 so need to get thinking on it. The dress is taffeta, not real fancy but I need to clean it. I'm thinking I might just soak it in miracle white or something like that - do any of you have any experience with cleaning taffeta? It's not stained just kind of dingy, yellowed from years in the cedar chest. Then I'm also looking at doing something with my husband's navy blue uniform - maybe make 3 memory bears or something like that for our 3 grandsons. Hubby is not a memory but very much alive so maybe I shouldn't call it a memory bear. I've seen different things done on the internet along that line so that is my next non-quilting project. Any ideas will be very much appreciated. Quilting - whatever I come up with next will have to use up fabric I have. It's worth too much now to just let it sit in a closet. So that is what I do when I get bored - which really doesn't happen cause I can always clean my big house and gussy up my flowers and yard which is also huge. Hubby helps with that though. I also love to read but usually fall asleep and that also uses up time. Anyway -everyone have a great day and keep quilting.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:07 PM

Linda - you are braver than I am. I wouldn't even attempt to applique those chairs. And you have to look at the big picture. It perfectly represents beach chairs !
Worked on mine all day today and have it ready to be bound. (anything to get me from sandwiching quilts!)
I have had so much fun with it - and watching my mother as it has come together. I have shown her how I figure things out by taking photos and looking at it at different directions and she helps with the decisions.
My 9 yo Grandaughter will be with us for a week and wants to sew - hand and machine. This will be interesting Have my scrap box out and she can play with the material and learn straight stiches on the machine.
Then it is down to MD to take care of my 1 yo GD for 10 days. I will bring machine with me!!