Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW >

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Old 06-09-2018, 12:21 PM

Teen - it's gorgeous!!
Macybaby - ideas on how you're going to quilt it now that it's on the frame?
My block progress as of yesterday - now that I've actually started cutting the next project... Keep in mind I started these in 2014 when I completed my Farmers Wife.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]595784[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails completed-blocks-june-8-2018-web-ready.jpg  
Old 06-09-2018, 03:00 PM

auntjo......that is fantastic.....I'm so loving the dark and light I see throughout... Beautiful balance...

Yea, Macybaby!!!

Thank you, all!!!
Old 06-09-2018, 03:28 PM

I decided to go with a modified feather type design in the triangles with straight lines for the piano keys. I meant to echo the feather part, but forgot until I had several feet of straight lines done.

I did a computer design motif in each block, something that would enhance the design, then I'm doing a close stipple all around including the sashing in hopes that will help to give that floating block look. Ran out of bobin thread and motivation at the same time . Will do more tomorrow.

I love how it looks from the underside when I have light backing. The seam allowances block the light and give it a "stained glass" look.

Last edited by Macybaby; 06-09-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:03 PM

Looks awesome, Macybaby....wickedly cool on the underside...
Old 06-10-2018, 03:39 AM

Teen, great finish on your SBS. I love ALL your fabric choices. Even your backing looks great. And, the bridal lace is a beautiful last touch. Your journey is truly at an end.

AuntJo, By my count, your at 112 blocks. Not much longer to go. Your blocks look beautiful together. What an accomplishment.

Macybaby, Your quilting is going to elevate your SBS to an art form. And, your setting for the blocks is very unique. It's funny, you mentioned the "stained glass look" from the picture of the underside. But, I think your quilt also looks like a stained glass quilt from the top side a bit. (Or maybe sea glass.) Your blocks look like shining jewels done in all baticks. I can't wait to see it finished.

I can't believe the work that goes into these small blocks. And, it is amazing how they still stand out even taking the picture at a distance.

Last edited by Judith1005; 06-10-2018 at 03:42 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:12 AM

Wow auntjo, beautiful!!!! You're almost there!

Macebaby, stunning! I think once finished we need a few close ups of the quilting you did. It's really a piece of art, like Judith said.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:56 AM

Oh my, so much waiting for me when I jumped back on the board this morning. First of all, Teen - absolutely exquisite quilt. I love everything about it, including your lace and backing. Truly a beautiful example of an SBS. Macybaby, I love yours too, & I also like that stained glass effect you are getting. Another great example of a direction to go with this versatile pattern. Auntjo - I enjoyed seeing your progress. Mine too is scrappy, so gives me an idea of what to expect. The finish line (for piecing) is within sight for you.

Another busy weekend for me, which did not include much sewing time. But here are 2 more I managed to get to. Bought our king-size bed over the weekend, so now I am very motivated to finish Sylvia up. All my quilts are queen size and I have nothing to put on it till Sylvia is done!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]595839[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]595840[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails k-8.jpg   g-9.jpg  
Old 06-11-2018, 06:15 AM

Nicely done Donna Pea. I look forward to seeing more blocks from you. Especially since you have a goal in sight. Enjoy your new bed.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:21 PM

Thank you, Donna..... Both your blocks are beautiful....the fabrics are perfect since they remind me of antique quilts and these two blocks are really old blocks....so, perfect choice, IMO...

I was invited to share my SBS with a local quilt club so I lugged it over today to share at their quilting day. It was fun to share my journey with them. A couple of them have the book and said my Sylvia inspired them to start their own journey. I think that is so cool....best compliment ever, I think, to inspire others. They've invited me to their guild meeting to share, too, as well as quilt with them... So sweet of them. Gave them a couple of donation quilts to add to their pile and other stuff......was fun today to look at their own projects. Wonderful and talented quilter's....one favors applique like me and was working on a wool applique table runner. She's inspired me to try wool applique now... Geesh...here I go....
Old 06-11-2018, 12:46 PM

You rock Teen!!!! So you're a quild member now? Good for you! The ones who are going to start their own Sylvia, are those members of this board? Would be fun to see them here
Hahaha, more projects!! Great!

DonnaPea, lovely blocks! I always love the colours you're using!