Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW >

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Old 06-02-2018, 05:25 AM

Thanks Judith. Yes, those are bookmarks. I will give them to the grands. The oldest one has all my bookmarks I made earlier. I told him to chose one and he took them all hahahaha. The other two don't have one so I guess it's time they have one (or more) too.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:49 AM

Anael...let me know when you get the book and start to dive in. I have started at the beginning of book but I think I'm going to skip around and do a section at a time so I can assemble faster. I am only on pattern 2 (tiny paddle block) and I need to make 16 of those. When you get your book we can synchronize...lol..

Judith....So far, the instructions are good...no problems. I have the Gypsy Wife pattern book, too, and it is not as well written as this pattern. I've heard the same as you so I've been reluctant to start it.

NZ....We got your back, girl! Patriotic FQ's are just a couple of PM's away. *wink*
Old 06-02-2018, 08:25 AM

I will, don't worry What's tiny? 3" finished? Most of the time I do sections too.

I wanted the Gypsy Wife, never got to purchase it though. I still love the quilt.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:10 AM

Wow, this so generous of you, Teen and Judith!! I just send you both a PM. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! Oooh, I have always wanted to make a RWB quilt!
Old 06-02-2018, 11:05 AM

This afternoon I was browsing the internet, looking for pictures of the Green Tea and Sweet Beans quilt, while thinking about the Gypsy Wife quilt. I came across a site where a few PP patterns of three blocks were offered. I thought, because I already ordered the book, I could download them and make those blocks, ahead of getting the Green Tea quilt book. I was happily sewing the first block when all of a sudden I realized those aren't Green Tea blocks........those are Gypsy wife blocks.........hahahahahaaaa. I finished the one I started and now I'm thinking: do I have to purchase the Gypsy Wife book? Or should I use this block in a quilt one day?
Oh well, here's the block, put sunglasses on as it's very bright!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595361[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_00071.jpg  
Old 06-02-2018, 01:02 PM

Hahahahaha....my goodness...where is your patience? That is hilarious, Anael....and the block totally rocks. We are in the "bright" stuff where we both are happiest so I get your excitement. That's my excuse, too. Couple of issues with the book but not a big deal is that there are no "unfinished size" provided....just finished size.....and the templates don't have seam allowance. No biggie cuz it's easy to figure out and cut but she has reminders on each template page for the pieced blocks so you don't forget. This is Block 2 in the book and is comprised of 16 3 1/4" (finished) propeller blocks. You definitely want to sew "scant" cuz they square up beautifully when you do.

NZ!!!!!!! So excited you are doing RWB Sylvia!!!!! I'll be mailing to you next week.....woohoo!!!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 06-02-2018, 02:11 PM

I'm off and running....lol!

Anael...I just scanned from the book to excel....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GTSB.pdf (900.3 KB, 109 views)
Old 06-02-2018, 03:57 PM

Patience? What's that? I was born 5 days early because as my mom used to say I didn't want to wait til Christmas.

Great way to keep track of your progress!

What's scant? Almost?
Old 06-02-2018, 04:57 PM

Scant - yes...almost. Just a couple of threads less than 1/4 to account for the pressed edge. You'll end up having a sliver to cut off for perfect size. Try it like you always do and also with scant....see what works best. I pieced the entire SBS (pieced blocks) using scant and had very few blocks come up short. Made assembly so much better to have everything the same size, obviously. Anywhoo....the first block of GTSB is also in the SBS and is also unfinished 6 1/2. SBS = A1 / Mosaic No3.....in GTSB book it's called Wedding Chain Block. Each square is a diff fabric. So, see? You can make a block before the book gets there. You only need one of this block....*wink* (I shared a pic above of my block)
Old 06-02-2018, 09:17 PM

Hahahahahaaaa thank you!!

I will try that scant seam, never done it, at least not knowingly. I'll practice with the Wedding Chain Block. I'll tone down the GTSB a bit and use my flower fabrics. I still have a lot of those and I think this one is suitable for them.
Forgot to tell you I love your propeller blocks!!
I would not have recognized the WC block (oh dear hahahaha) if you wouldn't have said you made it.