Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW >

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Old 06-02-2018, 09:23 PM

I just ordered the Gypsy Wife book. I've been wanting to make that quilt for quite some time now and I think now is that time!
Old 06-03-2018, 01:22 AM

So here are two more Gypsy blocks. Tell me, is the last one too much toned down?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595378[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595379[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_00081.jpg   img_00011.jpg  
Old 06-03-2018, 04:58 AM

Hi Anael, I think your Gypsy blocks are beautiful. I love the green in the second one. And, once upon a time, I had a small piece of that. Very pretty blocks. According to the color saturation on my computer, they go together nicely.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:00 AM

If you decide to do Gypsy Wife, I've been thinking of doing another. Though with the next one, I plan on swapping out some of the blocks for ones I like better. I also have the measuers for doing all the square in a square block using triangles instead of covered corners. I just can't get them to come out right when I do covered corners, though it's suppose to be more "fool proof".

I also did the "My small world" but did quite a bit of customization with that one.
Here is an "in progress" picture. it's now in line to be quilted, but I guess I never took a picture of the completed floppy.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:11 AM

Oh my Cathy, you sure don't pick easy patterns. Your Gypsy Wife is beautiful. And, would have love to have seen the My Small World finished. It looks exciting from the photo. The colors are what I so love to work with.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Anael View Post
DonnaPea, you always surprise me with the colours you're using! Lovely blocks!!

Macebaby, you can't please everyone. I guess it's a good thing your FIL didn't have to stay in the house

This week we had an event called Avondvierdaagse, where you walk 4 nights in a row. The weather wasn't too good so one night was cancelled and last night the distance was shortened. Here's a pic of the grands after they finished their 4th night:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]595322[/ATTACH]
Oh my...what a beautiful trio! My 50% Dutch kids are fair skinned, fair haired, and blue eyed, too. GD has such a tough time with sun...she burns so easily.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Love looking at all the new blocks and quilts...
Haven't heard of the small world quilt before...this is going on my bucket list...thanks for sharing Macybaby!

I'm jealous I can't do much sewing for a couple months and am so looking forward to this fall...One project for me to finish is Tula Pinks City block sampler made with scrap batiks....have the blocks in columns ready to sew together. Until then....I dream...
Old 06-03-2018, 10:53 AM

Anael....love the GW blocks...the colors look really blended....not too stark.. Does this mean you shifted to working on GW instead of GTSB? Still fun to work on new samplers together..

Macybaby....GW is gorgeous and definitely want to see the Small World when quilted. Looks so colorful.

OKsewglad.....please share your Tula pink on the wall. I love that pattern.

More work completed on GTSB... I am doing trapunto on all applique...
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 06-03-2018, 11:27 AM

Starting with you Teen: no I don't, it's just that I was able to download a few GW blocks and figured out a few measurements. I still want to do the GTSB, both books are on their way.
Beautiful block!! I love the trapunto idea. Love the striped fabric!

OK, please share!! I would love to see your houses!
My grands do have blond hair but don't burn easily. I bet you wouldn't recognize Bram and Isa! They're 5 yo now and doing great

Cathy, wow!!! You already made a GW and want to make another one? I'm sure the second one will be totally different. I like yours!
Your Small World looks very interesting. Please show the finished quilt! Like Judith said, you sure don't pick easy ones!

Thank you Judith. I never think of checking the color saturation. I just combine fabrics that look good together
Old 06-03-2018, 02:52 PM

Two more while I'm at it. H7 Odd Fellow's Chain and E4 Indiana Rose. I love applique, but I'm so used to being able to do needle turn (& just can't anymore because of arthritis in my hands), that I need to try different ways with machine stitching. I guess a sampler is a good way to practice. I did a practice quilt a couple years ago where I basically did the pillow case method - sewing the patch to thin interfacing right sides together, turning them inside out, press, pin, and using nylon thread to do like a hem stitch. It works fairly well, but thought I'd try some of the other methods. I really don't like raw edge - even with the iron on fusible. And, I'm not crazy about the zig zag edges either. It seems that somewhere in here there was a discussion on doing machine applique w/nice finished edges that the stitching barely shows - I'm thinking it was the pillowcase method, but using a tiny straight stitch w/colors that blend to the patch... Guess next applique block I'll try that. Now off to quilt a donation quilt for a friend on my Tin Lizzie.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]595403[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]595404[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails h7-odd-fellows-chain-web-ready.jpg   e4-indiana-rose-web-ready.jpg