Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up? >

Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up?

Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up?

Old 10-29-2011, 01:34 PM

No such monster where I grew up some 50+ years ago.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:38 PM

I joined 4H when my oldest daughter was 9. There weren't any Girl Scout troops with room for the new kid. I met wonderful people at the training lessons for the leaders. It's the only place I ever learned to cook. It was the only place in my daughters' life where a deadline was a deadline. I grew up in a city. I was amazed to learn there were two days of horse shows at our county fair. I just hope my daughters and the other kids in our club enjoyed it as much as I did.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:41 PM

I am very gratful to 4-H for many reasons. I started when I was 9. In that club the leader did all the sewing projects, so I didn't learn very much. The next year I went to a different club, and that was much better.We were shown how to do things and then it was up to us to go home and do the projects ourselves.. I am so glad my mother was a wonderful teacher too. When it came time to enter in the dress reveue or the county fair, I would get seconds and many of the other kids got first. At the time, I thought I was doing pretty darn good to compete against mother's that had been sewing many years, and I got a second. As a result, I am still sewing today and the others can't even sew a button on. My brother got a calf at age nine and raised it and and kept increasing, so by the time he was no longer in 4-H, he had a very nice herd of cattle. Thanks everyone for the memories. Kareen
Old 10-29-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
... Leaders are volunteers who provide members with knowledge on many different topics (sewing, cooking, gardening, animal management, crop management, etc., etc., etc.,)
I learned some of the "etc" First I did knitting, then sewing and then basket weaving and on to copper enamel jewelry making. If my sewing teacher could see what I do now. She and I became good friends after I had my first child, she even knitted a baby sweater.

When I married and moved off, I became a Girl Scout Leader for 10 years. Some have even friended me on Face Book! So wonderful to see them grow as adults.

piney
Old 10-29-2011, 02:03 PM

I too started in 4-H My Mother was the leader. She taught me the best of sewing and I have reaped her rewards. She always said she was proud of me the way I handled myself after marriage and with my sewing and meeting people, who sometimes were not too polite about things. I miss my Mother, she passed in June 2006. I know shes happy with me keeping up the sewing. Now I have a Great Nephew to make little things for, Just finished a quilt for brother and sister-in-law.

It's a pleasure to read all of everyones comments and lots of helpful things on this board. Barbara Adams twilight
Old 10-29-2011, 02:27 PM

I switched from Girl Scouts to 4H when I was 13 and have never looked back. LOL. I learned to sew, garden, raise chickens and rabbits, all kinds of things. Now as a homeschooler 4H is even more valuable. My girls are both in 4H and one or the other of them always has a project selected to go to State Fair every summer. I also judge clothing at the Jr fair level. Can't say enough good things about 4H! :D
Old 10-29-2011, 04:02 PM

I was in 4-H from 9 until 17. It was wonderful for me. I learned to sew, cook and do wood working projects. It was great. We put on demonstrations at the county fair and sometimes even the state fair, did good deeds for those in needs....I could go on and on about the things we did and the things I learned! It doesn't seem the same these days.

LindaKayCat
Old 10-29-2011, 04:09 PM

My all-time fave club! I learned sooooo many life skills and had so much fun and made a lot of really special memories. I am sorry that everyone does not get to experience it.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:21 PM

I have a stupid probably ? what is 4 - H I am german so please understand
Old 10-29-2011, 05:24 PM

Yes, I was in 4-H, it was something we did as a family and with the families in the area. I did lots of things from sewing, to showing a (cow actually) a heifer, a hog, and raised chickens. Our group won several awards at the state level for community projects. I visit the 4-H building at the state fair and can not believe the wonderful things they do. Yes, I have heard that funding has been cut, that is a shame. But there are so few young families in the rural areas it is hard to have a group. Ninepatch