Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up? >

Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up?

Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up?

Old 10-29-2011, 08:53 AM

I was in 4-H I learned alot there, somethings my mom didn't have to teach me, plus it was always fun.that was back in N. Dak. I have a neice here in Thurston County that was in 4-H in the country were they learned about horses and such. Always participated in the fairs, What an education they can't get any where else.
They are taking to many of the good things away with there budget cuts. taking HomeEc out of High school is another biggy that just burns my buns.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:53 AM

Best thing that ever happened to me. Not necessarily the projects, but the comraderie and the leadership training. Started at age 8 and went all the way to being an International 4-H rep to the United Kingdom. Again, best thing for me!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:16 AM

I started in 4-H in the 4th. grade continued on through it all, won 2 trips, one for making custard and the other to National Confrence in Il. Went on to have a group in my home for years also. Good times at state confrences. Many friends.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

I have always said that 4-H is a talented and gifted (TAG) organization and that EVERYONE has talents and gifts!

Yes QuiltE as I was reading posts I was thinking "Learning By Doing". Every project I do today, I think--what needs to be done to make this better? Happy day when things work out just right.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:58 AM
mim

4H started in our town when I was 9 my brother 8 and sis was 12

Can you imagine my poor family having to eat 9 batches of corn bread, biscuits and whatever else we were learning to cook?? The requirements were to do each recipe 3 times and analyze the results. Record keeping was important -- and I think it helped me to plan in a lot of things I do today.

Assemble all the things I will need for a project. How many times have I had to stop and get something I forgot :-D
Old 10-29-2011, 12:00 PM

"And my World" has been added to the pledge for the last several years.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:03 PM

I was in 4-H for 10 years and loved every minute of it. I did sewing and foods. Also important was learning the proper way to conduct a meeting. We all knew what I leaders meant when they talked about Roberts Rule of Order. It was surprising to me how important these lessons helped me later in life. They also started an electricity program for girls and I learned how to make a trouble light and extention cord. I didn't do any animal projects, but my sons were in 4-H and learned more then I cared to about the animals along with them. I don't think I will ever forget backcombing a steers tail hair and spraying it with Aqua Net until it was stiff.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Charming
I feel like i am in lala land at the moment :-( what is 4-H??????????
It's an organization sponsored buy the state county extension agency for young people from about 9-18 where they enroll in projects to display at the county fair. The 4 "H's" stand for head, heart, health, and home. The projects used to be more about agriculture and homemaking but now it can be almost anything from woodworking, model building...you name it. I don't think it ever was very developed in larger towns and cities.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:11 PM

Where do I start! I was in 4th or 5th grade when I joined a new club formed in my small town. Was also in Girl Scouts but it was 4-H that really made the difference in my life. I continued as a member right through college as my university as 4-H Club.

My first trip to another country (Canada) was part of a 4-H exchange. I was fortunate to be selected to attend the national conference in Chicago as a teen and saw my first ballet, major art and natural history museums, and a pops concert conducted by the legendary Arthur Fiedler.

I participated in the cooking and sewing classes--later taught classes as a teen leader. This confirmed my desire to teach home economics.

Most important was the self-confidence and leadership skills I developed. I was a quiet kid who was never part of the "in crowd." 4-H helped me believe in myself and find my own path in life. It was one of the reasons I was able to get scholarships that made college possible.

I will be forever indebted to the 4-H leaders and those in Cooperative Extension who are so essential to the programs. The day in 4th grade I signed up for 4-H was a huge turning point in my life.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:49 PM

I didn't learn how to quilt until I was almost 30 (and still don't know how to sew clothing). I was in the Equine 4-H and traveled to horse shows all over the state of Florida until I turned the dreaded age of 18 and had to leave the club. It's a great program and really taught me responsibility and some great horsemanship. I hope they don't shut it down.